The Semicolon Wars as a software industry and human condition

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Xah Lee, Aug 17, 2006.

  1. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    Xah Lee, Aug 17, 2006

  2. Xah Lee

    DJ Stunks Guest

    DJ Stunks, Aug 17, 2006

  3. Xah Lee

    jmckitrick Guest

    What's more of a waste of time:

    1. The 30 minutes he took to write his vacuous essay.
    2. The 15 seconds it took to skim it and see nothing worth reading.
    3. The 30 seconds it took to write this post.

    Tough call.

    jmckitrick, Aug 17, 2006
  4. Xah Lee

    Iain King Guest

    Xah Lee wrote:
    > Of interest:
    >
    > • The Semicolon Wars, by Brian Hayes. 2006.
    > http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetail/assetid/51982
    >
    > in conjunction to this article, i recommend:
    >
    > • Software Needs Philosophers, by Steve Yegge, 2006
    > http://xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_dir/_p/software_phil.html
    >
    > • What Languages to Hate, Xah Lee, 2002
    > http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/language_to_hate.html
    >
    > Xah
    >
    > ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    I'm confused - I thought Xah Lee loved Perl? Now he's bashing it?
    Huh?

    Iain

    Iain King, Aug 17, 2006
  5. Iain King wrote:
    > Xah Lee wrote:
    >> Of interest:
    >>
    >> . The Semicolon Wars, by Brian Hayes. 2006.
    >> http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetail/assetid/51982
    >>
    >> in conjunction to this article, i recommend:
    >>
    >> . Software Needs Philosophers, by Steve Yegge, 2006
    >> http://xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_dir/_p/software_phil.html
    >>
    >> . What Languages to Hate, Xah Lee, 2002
    >> http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/language_to_hate.html
    >>
    >> Xah
    >>
    >> ? http://xahlee.org/

    > I'm confused - I thought Xah Lee loved Perl? Now he's bashing it?

    He only loves himself.
    Aside of that:

    +-------------------+ .:\:\:/:/:.
    +-------------------+ / \
    | | @@@ / /|,,,,,|\ \
    | | @@@ /_// /^\ \\_\
    @x@@x@ | | |/ WW( ( ) )WW
    \||||/ | | \| __\,,\ /,,/__
    \||/ | | | jgs (______Y______)
    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Aug 17, 2006
  6. Xah Lee

    Ken Tilton Guest

    Ken Tilton, Aug 17, 2006

  7. >>It was philosophers that got us out of that Dark Ages mess, and no small
    >>number of them lost their lives in doing so. And today, the philosophy
    >>majors are the butts of the most jokes, because after the philosophers
    >>succeeded in opening our minds, we forgot why we needed them.

    Look east Xah, we're still in the "Dark Ages mess".

    Philippe Martin, Aug 17, 2006
  8. "Iain King" <> wrote in news:1155827943.041208.51220
    @i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    > I'm confused - I thought Xah Lee loved Perl? Now he's bashing it?
    > Huh?

    That's his other personality.

    Greg R. Broderick

    A. Top posters.

    Greg R. Broderick, Aug 18, 2006
  9. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    A Editor Feature for Extending Selection based on Language Syntax

    can anyone give me a guide about writing a short elisp function? (for
    non-emacs readers, this message will describe a editor feature i think
    will be very beneficial to spread this concept.)

    i want to write a function such that, when run, highlight a region
    between the nearest left and right delimiters. Delimiters are any of
    parenthesis, square brackets, or single and double quotes etc. When the
    function is run again, it extends the selection to the next enclosing
    delimiters.

    So, in this way, a user can repeatedly press a keyboard shortcut and
    extend the selection.

    This is feature of BBEdit/TextWrangler on the Mac, which extend
    selection to the nearest outer parenthesis. This is also a feature of
    the Mathematica editor, which actually extend selection to the nearest
    syntactical unit in the language, not just paired delimiters.

    What i wanted this for is mostly in editing HTML/XML, where one press
    can select the content, another press will include the enclosing tags,
    another press extends the selection to the next outer content, and
    another press include that tags too, and so on.

    I'm a elisp newbie. Here's a simple code i have so far:

    (defun d ()
    "extend selection to nearest enclosing delimiters"
    (interactive)
    (skip-chars-backward "^<>()“â€{}[]")
    (push-mark)
    (skip-chars-forward "^<>()“â€{}[]")
    (exchange-point-and-mark 1)
    )

    .... i think i have quite a lot to go... I think this would be a great
    feature for any mode, where the a keypress will highlight more
    syntactical units in any language's mode. For example, suppose in
    C-like language:

    function f (arg1, arg2) {
    line1;
    line2;
    }

    if the cursor is at arg1, then first press will highlight the content
    of the args, another press includes the parens, another press will
    include the whole function. If the cursor is at line1, then it selects
    that word in the line, then the line, then the whole function def body,
    then including {}, then the whole function... etc in many languages.

    For a xml language example, suppose we have this RSS/Atom example:

    <entry>
    <title>Gulliver's Travels</title>
    <id>tag:xahlee.org,2006-08-21:030437</id>
    <updated>2006-08-20T20:04:41-07:00</updated>
    <summary>Annotated a chapter of Gulliver's Travels</summary>
    <link rel="alternate" href="../p/Gullivers_Travels/gt3ch05.html"/>
    </entry>

    If the cursor is inside a tag's enclosing content, say, on the T in
    Gulliver's Travels inside the <title> tag, then the repeated extension
    is obvious. But however, suppose the cursor is at t in the
    “alternate†inside the “link†tag, then it would first select
    the whole “alternate†word, then the whole “rel="alternate"â€,
    then the whole link tag, then the whole content of the entry tag, then
    including the “<entry>†tags itself.

    (in short, the selection extends according to the language's syntax
    tree)

    Xah

    ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    Xah Lee, Aug 21, 2006
  10. Xah Lee

    John Bokma Guest

    Reported (was Re: A Editor Feature for Extending)

    "Xah Lee" <> wrote:

    Let's see how fast we can drop you from another hosting provider :-D.

    John Bokma, Aug 21, 2006