    ========== Publish: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

    Thanks for your advice,

    Joseph Geretz

    Joseph Geretz, Dec 2, 2008

  2. The PDB may be too large. You can avoid publishing them by not having them
    created in the first place. You will have to move to a release build and/or
    specify not to create them.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP: MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Blog:

    | Think Outside the Box! |

    Gregory A. Beamer, Dec 2, 2008

  3. Hi Gregory,

    Thanks, that makes sense. This PDB is by far and away the largest file.

    Followup: Is there a definition for 'too large' and can this be adjusted per
    server?

    Thanks!

    Joseph Geretz

    Joseph Geretz, Dec 2, 2008
  4. BTW, I publish the same application to a variety of servers. On some this
    file succeeds, but on others it fails. Is the max upload file a configurable
    value, and if so, where can I set this?

    Thanks!

    Joseph Geretz

    Joseph Geretz, Dec 2, 2008
  5. Joseph Geretz

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    Why do you need the pdb on the server??

    Jeff Dillon, Dec 3, 2008
  6. Remote debugging?

    But isn't this question a bit beside the point? What is going to happen when
    I have a large DLL file which needs to be deployed?

    I'd like to know please where the parameter is defined for the maximum size
    for an uploaded file.

    Thank you,

    Joseph Geretz

    Joseph Geretz, Dec 3, 2008
  7. Joseph Geretz

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    Not beside the point at all. Have you EVER seen a dll that large? You are
    doing remote debugging on a production site??

    Jeff Dillon, Dec 3, 2008
  8. The problem comes with network issues. There is not an actual "too large"
    that can be named. What is most likely happening is you are timing out
    before publish is complete.

    A better way is to publish locally and then migrate the files to the server,
    rather than have VS do it for you. Then you have complete control over the
    deployment. When VS 2010 comes out, unless something changes, there will be
    even better deploy options.

    Gregory A. Beamer, Dec 3, 2008
  9. Hi Gregory,

    > The problem comes with network issues. There is not an actual "too large"
    > that can be named. What is most likely happening is you are timing out
    > before publish is complete.

    Perhaps. I didn't realize that the publication process is so brain-dead,
    that it can't accommodate large files. Our own application has been passing
    large (multi-meg) files via HTTP since WSE 2.0. It never occurred to me that
    Visual Studio Publishing would have difficulty with this.

    Oh well. FTP works.

    Joseph Geretz, Dec 4, 2008
  10. > Not beside the point at all.

    Whose point? Yours or mine?

    Joseph Geretz, Dec 4, 2008
  11. Joseph Geretz

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    Neither. The doctors point:

    Patient - Doctor, doctor, my arm hurts when I do this

    Doctor - Then don't do that

    Jeff Dillon, Dec 8, 2008
  12. You might want to think about finding a new doctor. You'd be amazed at some
    of the new therapeutic techniques. Of course if you're happy to stop moving
    your arm, as long as the pain is alleviated, then hey - suit yourself.

    It's a good thing you're not a software developer...

    Joseph Geretz, Dec 9, 2008
  13. Joseph Geretz

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    I am a software developer, at a very large company. Largest?

    I am open to suggestions when I am going down the wrong path. Sign of a
    professional!

    Hey lighten up, I'm just messing with you. I hope you get your issue figured
    out.

    Jeff Dillon, Dec 9, 2008
  14. "Joseph Geretz" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Gregory,
    >
    >> The problem comes with network issues. There is not an actual "too large"
    >> that can be named. What is most likely happening is you are timing out
    >> before publish is complete.

    > Perhaps. I didn't realize that the publication process is so brain-dead,
    > that it can't accommodate large files.

    There is a trade off. FTP, by its nature, is more prone to corruption when
    it temporarily loses connection. Not as much today, as the early days, but
    still some danger. WebDav and other upload methods die instead of allowing
    corruption. Each has its strengths.

    Personally, I do not use tools like Expression or Visual Studio to upload. I
    find them too costly. Much better to publish locally and then upload with
    something that I can move the bits over myself. With VS 2010 and the One
    Click Deployment, I might change my mind.

    >Our own application has been passing large (multi-meg) files via HTTP since
    >WSE 2.0. It never occurred to me that Visual Studio Publishing would have
    >difficulty with this.

    It has to do with the connection type. And, with most people, it will not be
    a problem. I would imagine Microsoft has huge pipes when testing these
    things. I have never had an issue, but I have never relied on the publish
    feature to publish to an ISP, except in testing how the feature worked.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP: MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Blog:

    | Think Outside the Box! |

    Gregory A. Beamer, Dec 9, 2008
  15. Hey Gregory,

    > It has to do with the connection type. And, with most people, it will not
    > be a problem.

    Hmm. I've bumped up against this problem when publishing to servers on the
    local intranet. No bandwidth issues here. Are you sure it doesn't have more
    to do with a WebDav or FP Extensions *software* limitation when handling
    large files?

    Joseph Geretz, Dec 10, 2008