The session and session ID is being reused between multiple browsers

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Max2006, Nov 26, 2009.

  1. Max2006

    Max2006 Guest

    Hi,

    I have an internal asp.net 3.5 intranet application that includes only one
    page.

    Based on requirements, each user can open multiple browser window and use
    the application.

    The problem is when users open the second browser window, the session ID is
    same as the 1st browser. That means once a session is created by the 1st
    browser window, subsequent browsers use the same session. The only way to
    have a new session ID is to close all of the browser windows and the open a
    new one. Sessions are shared with the same type of browsers. (IE with IE, FF
    with FF and Chrome with Chrome)

    I verified that by enabling the trace in the page.

    I went through the Microsoft kb article 899918
    (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899918) and I guess this is the default
    behavior.

    How can I change this behavior? How can I have one unique session (and
    session ID) for each browser windows even they are opened simultaneously?

    Thank you.Max

    Max2006, Nov 26, 2009

  2. Max2006

    bruce barker Guest

    use cookieless sessions. the browser will share the session cookie as
    you see. you can also code for this by having some transactionid in each
    page.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Nov 26, 2009

  3. Max2006

    Max2006 Guest

    Hi Bruce,

    Thank you for help.

    Is there any way to achieve this without cookie less sessions? My users
    won't like the cookie less urls.

    Also, I think this problem doesn't appear when pages are protected by forms
    authentication.

    Thanks again...Max

    Max2006, Nov 26, 2009
  4. Hello Max,

    Session are shared with the same type of browsers. Do you want to apply an
    independent Session in each page(browser window)?
    If that's what you want, please use ViewState instead of Session. ViewState
    is used in the specific page and Session is used for the browser instance.

    Sincerely,

    Vince Xu

    Microsoft Online Support

    --------------------

    Vince Xu [MSFT], Nov 26, 2009
  5. Hi Max,

    Did you resolve this issue?

    This is Vince Xu from MSDN Managed Newsgroup support team, since I haven't
    seen your reply after I last posted my reply. Please feel free to let me
    know if there's anything else I can help. Thanks.

    --
    Sincerely,

    Vince Xu

    Microsoft Online Support