the star before filehandle

Rocky Allen

Hi Y'all

Can someone direct me to doc on this convention:

local (*her_in, *her_out, *her_err);

this is from the IPC::Open3 module example

I know that local scopes it, but I cannot find anything anywhere (perl
programming by oreilly, and perdoc perlop) that tells me what the stars
before the filehandles do. Thank you

Rocky

Paul Lalli

Rocky said:
Can someone direct me to doc on this convention:

local (*her_in, *her_out, *her_err);

this is from the IPC::Open3 module example

Er. It is? I don't see that line at
http://search.cpan.org/~nwclark/perl-5.8.7/lib/IPC/Open3.pm I'll
assume it's a different version than you're seeing.
I know that local scopes it, but I cannot find anything anywhere (perl
programming by oreilly, and perdoc perlop) that tells me what the stars
before the filehandles do.

It's not an operator, which explains why you couldn't find it in
perlop. The three variables above are not, strictly speaking,
filehandles. They're typeglobs. You can read about typeglobs in
perldoc perldata, or online at
http://perldoc.perl.org/perldata.html#Typeglobs-and-Filehandles

Paul Lalli

Rocky Allen

Er. It is? I don't see that line at
http://search.cpan.org/~nwclark/perl-5.8.7/lib/IPC/Open3.pm I'll
assume it's a different version than you're seeing.

It's not an operator, which explains why you couldn't find it in
perlop. The three variables above are not, strictly speaking,
filehandles. They're typeglobs. You can read about typeglobs in
perldoc perldata, or online at
http://perldoc.perl.org/perldata.html#Typeglobs-and-Filehandles

Paul Lalli
Thank you kindly sir.