    programming by oreilly, and perdoc perlop) that tells me what the stars
    before the filehandles do. Thank you

    Rocky
    Rocky Allen, Sep 7, 2005

  2. Rocky Allen

    Paul Lalli Guest

    Rocky Allen wrote:
    > Can someone direct me to doc on this convention:
    >
    > local (*her_in, *her_out, *her_err);
    >
    > this is from the IPC::Open3 module example

    Er. It is? I don't see that line at
    http://search.cpan.org/~nwclark/perl-5.8.7/lib/IPC/Open3.pm I'll
    assume it's a different version than you're seeing.

    > I know that local scopes it, but I cannot find anything anywhere (perl
    > programming by oreilly, and perdoc perlop) that tells me what the stars
    > before the filehandles do.

    It's not an operator, which explains why you couldn't find it in
    perlop. The three variables above are not, strictly speaking,
    filehandles. They're typeglobs. You can read about typeglobs in
    perldoc perldata, or online at
    http://perldoc.perl.org/perldata.html#Typeglobs-and-Filehandles

    Paul Lalli
    Paul Lalli, Sep 7, 2005

  3. Rocky Allen

    Rocky Allen Guest

    On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 06:19:26 -0700, Paul Lalli wrote:

    > Rocky Allen wrote:
    >> Can someone direct me to doc on this convention:
    >>
    >> local (*her_in, *her_out, *her_err);
    >>
    >> this is from the IPC::Open3 module example

    > Er. It is? I don't see that line at
    > http://search.cpan.org/~nwclark/perl-5.8.7/lib/IPC/Open3.pm I'll
    > assume it's a different version than you're seeing.
    >
    >> I know that local scopes it, but I cannot find anything anywhere (perl
    >> programming by oreilly, and perdoc perlop) that tells me what the stars
    >> before the filehandles do.

    > It's not an operator, which explains why you couldn't find it in
    > perlop. The three variables above are not, strictly speaking,
    > filehandles. They're typeglobs. You can read about typeglobs in
    > perldoc perldata, or online at
    > http://perldoc.perl.org/perldata.html#Typeglobs-and-Filehandles
    >
    > Paul Lalli

    Thank you kindly sir.