The string '' is not a valid AllXsd value - meh?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Neil Chambers, May 9, 2008.

  1. Hello there - I'm quite new to WebServices and asp.net and I've exhausted my
    troubleshooting capacity on this one.

    I am running a lookup method against a remote webservice and am expecting
    some data back. It would seem as if the response I am getting back is
    actually missing a field and/or cannot be converted from '' (Blank?) to a
    dataType.

    On the face of it, it seems as if a dateTime conversion is failing - at
    least from my limited view of things.

    Is it possible to narrow down which property is being improperly formatted?

    What other kinds of tests can I run?

    Considering the WebService definition/proxy was built using the WSDL tool
    from a schema file, how appropriate might it be to modify the resultant
    service difinition in order to fix this (if I actually find what the problem
    is!)?

    Sincerely - n

    Server Error in '/Test' Application.

    The string '' is not a valid AllXsd value.

    Exception Details: System.FormatException: The string '' is not a valid
    AllXsd value.

    Stack Trace:

    [FormatException: The string '' is not a valid AllXsd value.]
    System.Xml.Schema.XsdDateTime..ctor(String text, XsdDateTimeFlags kinds)
    +1017115
    System.Xml.XmlConvert.ToDateTime(String s, XmlDateTimeSerializationMode
    dateTimeOption) +38
    System.Xml.Serialization.XmlCustomFormatter.ToDateTime(String value) +60
    System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReader.ToDateTime(String value)
    +30
    Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderpmService.Read11_TicketLookupType(Boolean
    isNullable, Boolean checkType) +2968
    Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderpmService.Read12_LookupTicketResponseType(Boolean
    isNullable, Boolean checkType) +466
    Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderpmService.Read18_lookupTicketResponse()
    +166
    Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.ArrayOfObjectSerializer1.Deserialize(XmlSerializationReader
    reader) +40
    System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader,
    String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events) +161

    [InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (8, 463).]
    System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader,
    String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events) +637
    System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader,
    String encodingStyle) +32
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage
    message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
    +1671
    methodName, Object[] parameters) +204
    pmService.lookupTicket(LookupTicketRequestType lookupTicketRequest) +47
    _Default.ticketLookup(String tNum) in
    c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\pmwsTest\Default.aspx.cs:32
    _Default.TicketLookupButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
    c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\pmwsTest\Default.aspx.cs:46
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
    +107
    eventArgument) +7
    sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
    includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1746

    Neil Chambers, May 9, 2008