The switchover problem

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, Jun 4, 2004.

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    I have an Applet that uses serialized objects.

    Let's say I decide to change the format of the serialized objects.

    I create new *.ser files and a new Applet, then upload the whole mess
    to the website.

    Unfortunately, for a short while during the upload there are a mix of
    old and new ser files, and the wrong applet for some of them.

    Further, even after everything is uploaded, it is possible some people
    may have the old applet running in their browser or cached.

    I wonder what sorts of technique there are for a smooth transition.

    possible solutions are:

    Some special sort of FTP upload that uploads files and only renames
    them all at once at the end.

    The Applet continually checks if it has been updated and shuts down
    gracefully if it has.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jun 4, 2004

  2. Roedy Green

    Carl Howells Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > I have an Applet that uses serialized objects.
    >
    > Let's say I decide to change the format of the serialized objects.
    >
    > I create new *.ser files and a new Applet, then upload the whole mess
    > to the website.
    >
    > Unfortunately, for a short while during the upload there are a mix of
    > old and new ser files, and the wrong applet for some of them.
    >
    > Further, even after everything is uploaded, it is possible some people
    > may have the old applet running in their browser or cached.
    >
    > I wonder what sorts of technique there are for a smooth transition.

    The best solution is probably to not overwrite the previous Applet at
    all. Instead, put it in a parallel directory, and change links to point
    to it instead. Then, after sufficient time has gone by, remove the
    first one.

    Carl Howells, Jun 4, 2004