The TabStrip Control and Internet Explorer WebControls

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Jason Madison, Mar 13, 2005.

  1. I want to create a tab strip within asp.net. There are a number of useful
    MSDN articles on this and similar controls such as a tree view control -
    example URL is:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/webcontrols/overview/tabstrip.asp

    However these all refer to getting the Internet Explorer WebControls
    component, which is detailed at:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/webcontrols/using/designer/formsetup.asp

    This in turn says download the Internet Explorer WebControl component at:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads...OT_NET_ServerControls/WebControls/default.asp

    However if you click on this link you get a 404 page not found.

    I have finally found the download link at:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/e...ot_net_servercontrols/webcontrols/default.asp

    But this page has lots of red warnings all over it saying the Internet
    Explorer WebControls are no longer supported.

    So what should I do? The MSDN articles look really useful, but it seems they
    are out of date. Should I go ahead and get this download or is there now
    something better to use?
    Jason Madison, Mar 13, 2005

  2. Thanks - I've now downloaded the IEWebControls.exe file and tried to install
    them, but I have a problem.

    The readme.txt file says:

    2. Run Build.bat, which will create a build folder in this directory.
    The build folder contains Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll and a
    Runtime directory of supporting files.

    For some reason my build folder contains the runtime directory but no
    Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll.

    Looking in the build.bat file I see it contains the line:

    csc.exe /out:build\Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll @IEWebControls.rsp

    If I go to the C:\Program Files\IE Web Controls folder and try running
    csc.exe I get a 'csc.exe is not recognised as an internal or external
    command, operable program or batch file' message.

    Any ideas?

    Jason Madison, Mar 13, 2005

  3. I modified the build.bat file to reference the csc.exe file in my .net
    folder:

    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\csc.exe
    /out:build\Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll @IEWebControls.rsp

    However it gives this message:

    'System.Xml.Xsl.XslTransform.Transform(System.Xml.XPath.XPathNavigator,System.Xml.Xsl,XsltArgumentList,System.IO.Stream)'
    is obsolete: You should pass XmlResolver to Transform() method'

    It has now build the .dll but should I make the recommended code change, and
    if so exactly what should the change be?

    Jason Madison, Mar 14, 2005