The TabStrip Control and Internet Explorer WebControls

Jason Madison

I want to create a tab strip within asp.net. There are a number of useful
MSDN articles on this and similar controls such as a tree view control -
example URL is:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/webcontrols/overview/tabstrip.asp

However these all refer to getting the Internet Explorer WebControls
component, which is detailed at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/webcontrols/using/designer/formsetup.asp

This in turn says download the Internet Explorer WebControl component at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads...OT_NET_ServerControls/WebControls/default.asp

However if you click on this link you get a 404 page not found.

I have finally found the download link at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/e...ot_net_servercontrols/webcontrols/default.asp

But this page has lots of red warnings all over it saying the Internet
Explorer WebControls are no longer supported.

So what should I do? The MSDN articles look really useful, but it seems they
are out of date. Should I go ahead and get this download or is there now
something better to use?

Jason Madison

Thanks - I've now downloaded the IEWebControls.exe file and tried to install
them, but I have a problem.

The readme.txt file says:

2. Run Build.bat, which will create a build folder in this directory.
The build folder contains Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll and a
Runtime directory of supporting files.

For some reason my build folder contains the runtime directory but no
Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll.

Looking in the build.bat file I see it contains the line:

csc.exe /out:build\Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll @IEWebControls.rsp

If I go to the C:\Program Files\IE Web Controls folder and try running
csc.exe I get a 'csc.exe is not recognised as an internal or external
command, operable program or batch file' message.

Any ideas?

Alvin Bruney said:
Read the warning, determine if your environment falls outside of these
restrictions and program with confidence. There is lots of help available
in case you run into problems. I've been using these controls for sometime
now in a production environment with no problems whatsoever.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney

Jason Madison said:
[...]

I modified the build.bat file to reference the csc.exe file in my .net
folder:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\csc.exe
/out:build\Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll @IEWebControls.rsp

However it gives this message:

'System.Xml.Xsl.XslTransform.Transform(System.Xml.XPath.XPathNavigator,System.Xml.Xsl,XsltArgumentList,System.IO.Stream)'
is obsolete: You should pass XmlResolver to Transform() method'

It has now build the .dll but should I make the recommended code change, and
if so exactly what should the change be?