The Tennis

Discussion in 'HTML' started by rf, Jun 28, 2007.

  1. rf

    rf Guest

    Wimbledon is on, as I'm sure those of you in the Mother Country know.

    <rant>

    We Need to know when our local .au hero Hewitt is going to play. Checks the
    official web site and notice that he is on after Ms Williams has devoured
    her latest opponent. Click on the Williams vs whoever match. Notice a "WATCH
    MATCH LIVE" (their shouting) link. Clickety click.

    They want me to provide them with my email address and all sorts of things
    like my *name* and they want me to actually *pay* to look at their video
    feed. It's nice that they don't allow sponsorship advertising of any kind
    cluttering up their pretty green venu but bloody hell, they are pushing the
    almighty $ envelope here. Obviously drezigned by those idiots over in
    marketing.

    Bah humbug. I'll go back to my TV. Why should I pay to watch some little
    bloody tiny mpeg on my computer when I can watch my TV projecting a 10 foot
    wide image onto my lounge room wall?

    I wonder what they were thinking about when they did this and I wonder how
    many suckers they actually caught? Good way to piss off users of their web
    site IMHO.

    </rant>

    Addendum: My tennis partner has just informed me she simply cannot get this
    to even work on a MAC :)

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Jun 28, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. rf wrote:

    > Bah humbug. I'll go back to my TV. Why should I pay to watch some little
    > bloody tiny mpeg on my computer when I can watch my TV projecting a 10 foot
    > wide image onto my lounge room wall?


    IP Geolocating: The BBC have superb data on which IP addresses are UK
    based and which are not -- British ISPs are only too eager to let the
    Beeb know their IP address ranges, because otherwise their customers
    lose out and the ISP loses customers.

    They use geolocating to supply this stuff free to the UK, and sometimes
    charge for it elsewhere. This is because the whole shebang is funded by
    the British licence-payer. (Yes, I know you have the ABC, but the BBC
    licence fee is an order of magnitude more.)

    > Addendum: My tennis partner has just informed me she simply cannot
    > get this to even work on a MAC :)


    Yes, the BBC has been hauled in front of the Office of Communications
    (government regulation body) about this matter. They are apparently
    working on it.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    [Geek of HTML/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python/Apache/Linux]
    [OS: Linux 2.6.12-12mdksmp, up 7 days, 18:11.]

    Long-Awaited Zeldman Article
    http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/06/27/zeldman-in-time/
    Toby A Inkster, Jun 28, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. rf

    Neredbojias Guest

    On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:27:30 GMT rf scribed:

    > Bah humbug. I'll go back to my TV. Why should I pay to watch some
    > little bloody tiny mpeg on my computer when I can watch my TV
    > projecting a 10 foot wide image onto my lounge room wall?
    >
    > I wonder what they were thinking about when they did this and I wonder
    > how many suckers they actually caught? Good way to piss off users of
    > their web site IMHO.
    >
    > </rant>
    >
    > Addendum: My tennis partner has just informed me she simply cannot get
    > this to even work on a MAC :)


    The good part being tennis is so boring, anyhow, that half the people
    wouldn't care if it works or not.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Once I had a little dog
    Who wagged its tail spritely.
    But it walked by the harvestor
    And now is shorter slightly.
    Neredbojias, Jun 28, 2007
    #3
  4. rf

    rf Guest

    "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    news:5n.co.uk...

    [Wimbledon]

    > They use geolocating to supply this stuff free to the UK, and sometimes
    > charge for it elsewhere. This is because the whole shebang is funded by
    > the British licence-payer.


    Oh. I see. A government web site?

    > (Yes, I know you have the ABC, but the BBC
    > licence fee is an order of magnitude more.)


    You pay a licence fee to watch free to air TV? Bloody hell. At least they
    hide the cost of our ABC in taxes :)

    >> Addendum: My tennis partner has just informed me she simply cannot
    >> get this to even work on a MAC :)

    >
    > Yes, the BBC has been hauled in front of the Office of Communications
    > (government regulation body) about this matter. They are apparently
    > working on it.


    Yeah, right:) Just like bigpond is working on their news servers?

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Jun 28, 2007
    #4
  5. rf

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Jun 28, 11:27 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    > Wimbledon is on, as I'm sure those of you in the Mother Country know.
    >
    > <rant>
    >
    > We Need to know when our local .au hero Hewitt is going to play. Checks the
    > official web site and notice that he is on after Ms Williams has devoured
    > her latest opponent. Click on the Williams vs whoever match. Notice a "WATCH
    > MATCH LIVE" (their shouting) link. Clickety click.
    >
    > They want me to provide them with my email address and all sorts of things
    > like my *name* and they want me to actually *pay* to look at their video
    > feed. It's nice that they don't allow sponsorship advertising of any kind
    > cluttering up their pretty green venu but bloody hell, they are pushing the
    > almighty $ envelope here. Obviously drezigned by those idiots over in
    > marketing.
    >
    > Bah humbug. I'll go back to my TV. Why should I pay to watch some little
    > bloody tiny mpeg on my computer when I can watch my TV projecting a 10 foot
    > wide image onto my lounge room wall?
    >
    > I wonder what they were thinking about when they did this and I wonder how
    > many suckers they actually caught? Good way to piss off users of their web
    > site IMHO.
    >
    > </rant>
    >
    > Addendum: My tennis partner has just informed me she simply cannot get this
    > to even work on a MAC :)

    All I can say on that site is, if is the type of crap that will be
    forced on the web with WCAG 2.0 then I reckon i'll need too right my
    own guidelines. Actually on that subject a lot of groups have. Based
    on the WCAG 1.0 but still, better then the shite that 2.0 will be.
    --
    Regards Chad. http://freewebdesign.awardspace.biz
    Chaddy2222, Jun 28, 2007
    #5
  6. rf

    dorayme Guest

    In article <4683d498$0$40368$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > You pay a licence fee to watch free to air TV?


    It is el cheapo Pay TV. There is a new book, quite interesting
    argument in it, called "Scrap the BBC" where... well, you can
    read about it or better, hear the author being interviewed:

    <http://abc.net.au/rn/counterpoint/stories/2007/1952031.htm#transc
    ript>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 28, 2007
    #6
  7. rf

    patrick j Guest

    On Jun 28, 2007 rf wrote:

    > You pay a licence fee to watch free to air TV? Bloody hell. At least they
    > hide the cost of our ABC in taxes :)


    At least it means that if you don't have a TV you don't have to pay for it
    :)

    --
    Patrick - Brighton, UK
    If you wish email me from my web-site: <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>
    Inventory service in Sussex: <http://www.inventoryworks.co.uk>
    patrick j, Jul 4, 2007
    #7
  8. rf

    patrick j Guest

    On Jun 28, 2007 Neredbojias wrote:

    > The good part being tennis is so boring, anyhow, that half the people
    > wouldn't care if it works or not.


    It's not a boring as cricket. There is nothing as boring as cricket. I live
    very close to a very big and famous cricket ground but I never ever go
    there.

    --
    Patrick - Brighton, UK
    If you wish email me from my web-site: <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>
    Inventory service in Sussex: <http://www.inventoryworks.co.uk>
    patrick j, Jul 4, 2007
    #8
  9. rf

    Neredbojias Guest

    On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 01:37:14 GMT patrick j scribed:

    > On Jun 28, 2007 Neredbojias wrote:
    >
    >> The good part being tennis is so boring, anyhow, that half the people
    >> wouldn't care if it works or not.

    >
    > It's not a boring as cricket. There is nothing as boring as cricket.


    So I would surmise from a game composed of or emulating little insects that
    go "Click, click." However, tennis is not only boring, it's dangerous. It
    can give you Ying-Yang Eye, a condition where you may, for instance, be
    walking straight ahead down the sidewalk but your eyeballs are constantly
    pivoting to the left and right in an involuntary and pathological fashion.
    Ying-Yang Eye can also embarrass the older gentleman who finds himself in
    an area populated by much younger women.

    > I
    > live very close to a very big and famous cricket ground but I never
    > ever go there.


    Well, perhaps the stadia are good places to "rub a leg"...

    --
    Neredbojias

    Never doubt
    The path you've chosen.
    If others mock,
    Just thumb your nos'n.
    - Burma Shave
    Neredbojias, Jul 4, 2007
    #9
  10. rf

    patrick j Guest

    On Jul 4, 2007 Neredbojias wrote:

    > Well, perhaps the stadia are good places to "rub a leg"...


    You're beginning to make cricket sound a bit more interesting.

    --
    Patrick - Brighton, UK
    If you wish email me from my web-site: <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>
    Inventory service in Sussex: <http://www.inventoryworks.co.uk>
    patrick j, Jul 4, 2007
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    3
    Views:
    403
    Fred Kleinschmidt
    Feb 23, 2007
  2. Richard Formby

    They "upgraded" the tennis site I wrote.

    Richard Formby, Mar 14, 2007, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    606
    dorayme
    Mar 14, 2007
  3. Replies:
    5
    Views:
    912
    Default User
    Jul 9, 2007
  4. sowmyaa

    tennis tournament scheduling

    sowmyaa, Apr 12, 2008, in forum: C Programming
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    423
    sowmyaa
    Apr 12, 2008
  5. Jenn

    Tennis Match - Game 1

    Jenn, May 28, 2010, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    545
Loading...

Share This Page