The term Browser ID?? no such thing is there?

Discussion in 'Java' started by moo moo, Nov 20, 2003.

  1. moo moo

    moo moo Guest

    hello

    I just want to check something.

    Lets say I have a web page and I only want people to be able to view
    it once every ten minutes. The link to the page is embedded in a
    static HTML page hosted on another domain, therefore there is no URL
    re-writing available if cookies are switched off. Now, Ive seen
    something similar, and the implementation description says that if
    cookies are switched off then IP address and Browser ID are used to
    'block' the user. I know that IP address alone to block the user
    should not be done as IP is often not unique. If there was such a
    thing as a browser ID that would be fantastic. However I have no
    knowledge of such a thing and cant see that there would be. I suspect
    they mean browser name? - so the solution is asking for trouble.
    Therefore the only safe strategy I can think of is that if cookies are
    not enabled, and you do not make cookies a requirement, you would have
    to get them to enter a username and password so that they can be
    identified and a block is persisted to a DB using the unique username.

    thanks,

    m.
    moo moo, Nov 20, 2003

  2. "moo moo" <> wrote in message
    > hello

    Hi!

    > I just want to check something.

    > ...Now, Ive seen
    > something similar, and the implementation description says that if
    > cookies are switched.....
    > ....I suspect
    > they mean browser name?

    Maybe you should ask whoever wrote the
    'implementation description' to which you referred -
    if that is who you meant, it was not clear to whom
    'they' referred.

    Or at the very least provide a link to this
    document.

    > thanks,

    You're welcome!

    > m.

    Wow! Do you know Q? ;-)

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Nov 20, 2003

  3. I guess the correct term is Session ID...look for a method of similar name
    on the JSP API, request.getSessionID or something like...

    Henrique Seganfredo, Nov 20, 2003