The term Browser ID?? no such thing is there?

moo moo

hello

I just want to check something.

Lets say I have a web page and I only want people to be able to view
it once every ten minutes. The link to the page is embedded in a
static HTML page hosted on another domain, therefore there is no URL
re-writing available if cookies are switched off. Now, Ive seen
something similar, and the implementation description says that if
cookies are switched off then IP address and Browser ID are used to
'block' the user. I know that IP address alone to block the user
should not be done as IP is often not unique. If there was such a
thing as a browser ID that would be fantastic. However I have no
knowledge of such a thing and cant see that there would be. I suspect
they mean browser name? - so the solution is asking for trouble.
Therefore the only safe strategy I can think of is that if cookies are
not enabled, and you do not make cookies a requirement, you would have
to get them to enter a username and password so that they can be
identified and a block is persisted to a DB using the unique username.

thanks,

m.

Andrew Thompson

moo moo said:
hello
Hi!

I just want to check something.
...Now, Ive seen
something similar, and the implementation description says that if
cookies are switched.....
....I suspect
they mean browser name?

Maybe you should ask whoever wrote the
'implementation description' to which you referred -
if that is who you meant, it was not clear to whom
'they' referred.

Or at the very least provide a link to this
document.

You're welcome!

Wow! Do you know Q? ;-)

Henrique Seganfredo

I guess the correct term is Session ID...look for a method of similar name
on the JSP API, request.getSessionID or something like...