The text editor "discussions"

Joe Attardi

These "discussions" are really getting irritating - offtopic in a Java
newsgroup.

Arguing with Paul/Twisted/Nebulous/Twerpinator/Bbound/whatever name he
decides to use today is obviously a pointless venture, as past threads
in this newsgroup (and my own personal experience, unfortunately) has shown.

Regardless, if some of you insist on carrying on this months-old
discussion, can you PLEASE take it to email or a different group where
flame wars about Emacs would be more on-topic?

Mike Schilling

Joe said:
These "discussions" are really getting irritating - offtopic in a Java
newsgroup.

Arguing with Paul/Twisted/Nebulous/Twerpinator/Bbound/whatever name he
decides to use today is obviously a pointless venture, as past threads
in this newsgroup (and my own personal experience, unfortunately) has
shown.
Regardless, if some of you insist on carrying on this months-old
discussion, can you PLEASE take it to email or a different group where
flame wars about Emacs would be more on-topic?

alt.flame.emacs.psychotic, perhaps?

Andrew Thompson

Joe said:
These "discussions" are really getting irritating - offtopic in a Java
newsgroup.

Yeah I agree, ..but. As I was about to (try to*) ascertain
why that thread was dragging on (and on, and on..) and
make some suggestions, it occured to me that a particularly
quirky and noisome individual had not had time to make snide
remarks to me about my approach toward people, and I
decided to 'leave it'.

Mind you. Using a WITUN, I do not even have to suffer the
bandwidth of the continuing thread (all I get is the idiot thread
continually jumping to the 'top of the list') - I pity the users of
desktop news clients that are unable to 'plonk' it, and end up
downloading every post.

* It is becoming impractical to *access* that thread via my
WITUN.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.physci.org/

Owen Jacobson

Yeah I agree, ..but. As I was about to (try to*) ascertain
why that thread was dragging on (and on, and on..) and
make some suggestions, it occured to me that a particularly
quirky and noisome individual had not had time to make snide
remarks to me about my approach toward people, and I
decided to 'leave it'.

Mind you. Using a WITUN, I do not even have to suffer the
bandwidth of the continuing thread (all I get is the idiot thread
continually jumping to the 'top of the list') - I pity the users of
desktop news clients that are unable to 'plonk' it, and end up
downloading every post.

* It is becoming impractical to *access* that thread via my
WITUN.

Two interesting(?) observations:

1. That Thread finally prompted me to go find a real newsreader and
give up on Google Groups.

2. The newsreader I picked is evidently smarter than I am, as it's
killfiled that thread with no input from me.

-o

Joe Attardi

Owen said:
2. The newsreader I picked is evidently smarter than I am, as it's
killfiled that thread with no input from me.

That is pretty interesting. What newsreader are you using?

Andrew Thompson

That is both clever and worrying. I would prefer to expend
a little effort plonking threads (perhaps according to criteria,
such as who started the thread) than to have some unknown
other persons/processes deciding that for me.
That is pretty interesting. What newsreader are you using?

I suspect it is the "User-Agent:" shown here..
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/617df325a46f1e4b?dmode=source
--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.physci.org/

Owen Jacobson

That is both clever and worrying. I would prefer to expend
a little effort plonking threads (perhaps according to criteria,
such as who started the thread) than to have some unknown
other persons/processes deciding that for me.

It turns out it's merely buggy; turning off threaded view brought back
the complete thread. A bug has been filed.

It *does* seem to have figured out that the ongoing crapflood in
rec.games.roguelikes.nethack is not worthy of my attention, though;
neither threaded nor non-threaded view shows posts from it until I turn
"hide read posts" off.

Indeed it is. It's... adequate. The killfile sucks for anything other than
plonk-by-author or plonk-by-crossposts, and I haven't figured out if,
never mind how, it can show the full headers on articles. On the other
hand, it gets line wrapping and quoting Right and the built-in editor
doesn't make me reach for TextMate or emacs immediately, and the
support for media groups is great.

Anyone have a better suggestion for an OS X newsreader? slrn and trn
suggestions met with gales of laughter. :)

-o

Daniel Pitts

Owen said:
[...]

Hmm, anybody know hot to add a killfile to Thunderbird?

Lars Enderin

Daniel Pitts skrev:
Hmm, anybody know hot to add a killfile to Thunderbird?
You can set up Filter rules under Tools.
You can also create filter rules via right-clicking the From address.

Lew

Daniel Pitts skrev:
Lars said:
You can set up Filter rules under Tools.
You can also create filter rules via right-clicking the From address.

Left-click on main newsgroup server entry in the "Folders" pane.
The right pane shows a bunch of commands, including "Manage message filters".
This recapitulates the menu item "_T_ools / Message _F_ilters...".

In the Message Filters dialog, make sure the "_F_ilters for:" dropdown is set
either to your whole newsgroup account ("choose this news server") or to a
particular newsgroup you want to filter.

Click on the "_N_ew" button, or select an existing filter and click on the
"_E_dit" button.

A typical killfile rule would "Match any _o_f the following" and a have series
of criteria such as "From" "contains" "(e-mail address removed)".

Add another criterion with the plus (+) button to the right of the existing
criterion:

(+) "From" "contains" "AShopper.net".

"_P_erform these actions" should be "Mark As Read" plus (+) "Delete Message".

Click "OK".

Make sure the filter's "Enabled" box is checked.

Click the little "X" close box in the upper right of the window. (T-Bird
forgot to provide a "Finished" button.)

blmblm

These "discussions" are really getting irritating - offtopic in a Java
newsgroup.

Arguing with Paul/Twisted/Nebulous/Twerpinator/Bbound/whatever name he
decides to use today is obviously a pointless venture, as past threads
in this newsgroup (and my own personal experience, unfortunately) has shown.

Quite. Pointless, off-topic, not something one should want on one's
Permanent Record -- and yet apparently oh so difficult to resist.
Regardless, if some of you insist on carrying on this months-old
discussion, can you PLEASE take it to email or a different group where
flame wars about Emacs would be more on-topic?

Well, I strongly suspect that for at least two of the participants
in this ridiculous wrangle, taking the discussion to e-mail would
rather defeat the purpose, which seems to involve not letting
the other party have the last word. (Yeah, I'm one of those "at
least two".) Much the same thing applies to moving to another
group, I think. Maybe you'll shame everyone but Twisted into
giving up, though. Eventually.

I apologize to the group for continuing the wrangle. I don't
promise to cease and desist immediately, but maybe I can try to
avoid fanning the flames as much.

nebulous99

[snip]

Oh, no. Not only is JA back, but he's starting up whole new flame
threads. Apparently one just isn't enough for some people.
Arguing with Paul/Twisted/Nebulous/Twerpinator/Bbound/whatever name he
decides to use today

I've never decided to use the name Paul. Other people have, for some
reason inexplicable to me, decided to use it to label me from time to
time.

nebulous99

On Nov 30, 12:39 pm, "Mike Schilling" <[email protected]>
wrote:
[implied insult deleted]

None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at
all true.

nebulous99

[implied insult deleted]

None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at
all true.

nebulous99

[implied insult deleted]

None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at
all true.

Joe Attardi

None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at
all true.

Is this your new strategy for things you can't give an intelligent
response to?

Mike Schilling

wrote:
[implied insult deleted]

None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at
all true.

Christ, you're infecting this thread too?

Go away. You're not wanted here (not that you're wanted anywhere else.)