The thread '<No Name>' (0xdc0) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by A.M-SG, Nov 30, 2005.

  1. A.M-SG

    A.M-SG Guest

    Hi,

    When I run my web service application in VS2005 IDE and then watch the
    output window, almost after any method call, I have something like this
    message in my output window:

    The thread '<No Name>' (0xdc0) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

    I tried to get the thread number by putting this line at the top of my web
    methid:
    System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine(string.Format("Thread info: {0},
    {1}",System.Threading.Thread.CurrentThread.Name,System.Threading.Thread.CurrentThread.ManagedThreadId));

    But it retuens different thread number. How can I get the thread number that
    IDE's output window message shows?

    Thank you,

    Alan

    A.M-SG, Nov 30, 2005

  2. Hi Alan,

    Welcome to webservice newsgroup.
    From your description you're encountering some unexpected exeption when
    calling a asp.net webservice... As for the threadID difference between the
    IDE debugger output one and the Thread.ManagedThreadID, it is because the
    Thread.Managed is an unique ID used by managed world to idenitify a
    thread execting .net code while the debugger window's threadID maybe a
    operating system scope thread ID(native thread....), their actual relation
    ship is determiend by the internal implementation of CLR and most probably
    they're different ....

    Is your webservice's webmethod doing any particular things which will throw
    any unhandled exception ?

    Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Dec 1, 2005

  3. A.M-SG

    A.M-SG Guest

    Hi Steven,

    Is there any way to have the "operating system scope thread ID" within my
    web service code?
    I need that to track the creation and destruction of threads within my web
    method code.

    Thank you,
    Alan

    A.M-SG, Dec 1, 2005
  4. Thanks for your reply Alan,

    Of course, we are able to get the unmanaged thread ID, just call the raw
    win32 api through PInvoke, the

    DWORD GetCurrentThreadId(void);

    WIN32 API just help get the current thread ID. However, since I've
    mentioned that the underlying thread is managed by CLR runtime, it'll
    schedule a underlying operating system thread to work in different
    appdomain, so it is possible that the creation time of the underlying win32
    thread is not the start of your webservice method executing point....

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------
    | From: "A.M-SG" <>
    | Subject: Re: The thread '<No Name>' (0xdc0) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
    | Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 13:10:37 -0500
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
    |
    | Hi Steven,
    |
    | Is there any way to have the "operating system scope thread ID" within my
    | web service code?
    | I need that to track the creation and destruction of threads within my
    web
    | method code.
    |
    | Thank you,
    | Alan
    |

    | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    | > Hi Alan,
    | >
    | > Welcome to webservice newsgroup.
    | > From your description you're encountering some unexpected exeption when
    | > calling a asp.net webservice... As for the threadID difference between
    | > the
    | > IDE debugger output one and the Thread.ManagedThreadID, it is because
    the
    | > Thread.Managed is an unique ID used by managed world to idenitify a
    | > thread execting .net code while the debugger window's threadID maybe a
    | > operating system scope thread ID(native thread....), their actual
    relation
    | > ship is determiend by the internal implementation of CLR and most
    probably
    | > they're different ....
    | >
    | > Is your webservice's webmethod doing any particular things which will
    | > throw
    | > any unhandled exception ?
    | >
    | > Thanks,
    | >
    | > Steven Cheng
    | > Microsoft Online Support

    | > rights.)
    | >

    | > --------------------
    | > | From: "A.M-SG" <>
    | > | Subject: The thread '<No Name>' (0xdc0) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
    | > | Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:00:19 -0500
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
    | > |
    | > | Hi,
    | > |
    | > | When I run my web service application in VS2005 IDE and then watch the
    | > | output window, almost after any method call, I have something like
    this
    | > | message in my output window:
    | > |
    | > | The thread '<No Name>' (0xdc0) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
    | > |
    | > | I tried to get the thread number by putting this line at the top of my
    | > web
    | > | methid:
    | > | System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine(string.Format("Thread info: {0},
    | > |

    {1}",System.Threading.Thread.CurrentThread.Name,System.Threading.Thread.Curr
    | > entThread.ManagedThreadId));
    | > |
    | > | But it retuens different thread number. How can I get the thread
    number
    | > that
    | > | IDE's output window message shows?
    | > |