the troubles with favicons

Emergence

Opera and FF typically will work when this issue arises but will not
work within IE a lot of the times. Now lets for example start with
something simple to which I will be using my site as an example as I
normally do :eek:)
we have a favicon thats is somewhere in the head
<link rel="icon" href="http://joshknutson.net/images/icons/
favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />'

This will not show up in IE but will show up in other browsers, so I
then check Microsoft sites to see how they do it.
My results:
<link rel="icon" href="/s/wlflag.ico" /> from live.com
<link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="http://hp.msn.com/global/c/hpv10/
favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" /> from msn.com
Now what could be the difference between what didn't work for me, but
will work somehow for Microsoft. After fooling around this is what I
tried

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://joshknutson.net/images/icons/
favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
which works for some unexplainable reason unless I am just caching the
results of playing around with it a few different times, this was
tested within IE7 and seemed to have worked for me.
If need be check out http://joshknutson.net/index.cfm to let me know
if this doesn't work with ie6 and such

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Emergence said:
Opera and FF typically will work when this issue arises but will not
work within IE a lot of the times.

Favicons for IE6 and lower only show up when you bookmark the site. And
then disappear when you clear the browser's cache...

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 06 Aug 2007 17:55:18 GMT
Emergence scribed:
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://joshknutson.net/images/icons/
favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
which works for some unexplainable reason unless I am just caching the
results of playing around with it a few different times, this was
tested within IE7 and seemed to have worked for me.
If need be check out http://joshknutson.net/index.cfm to let me know
if this doesn't work with ie6 and such

Favicons don't work in ie6 at all. Yes, there may be some _temporary_
conditions under which you will see one in the address bar, but that hardly
constitutes "working".

I haven't really checked ie7. However, if it depends upon what's in the
cache and/or bookmarks, it doesn't _work_ there, either.