the troubles with favicons

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Emergence, Aug 6, 2007.

  1. Emergence

    Emergence Guest

    Opera and FF typically will work when this issue arises but will not
    work within IE a lot of the times. Now lets for example start with
    something simple to which I will be using my site as an example as I
    normally do :eek:)
    we have a favicon thats is somewhere in the head
    <link rel="icon" href="http://joshknutson.net/images/icons/
    favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />'

    This will not show up in IE but will show up in other browsers, so I
    then check Microsoft sites to see how they do it.
    My results:
    <link rel="icon" href="/s/wlflag.ico" /> from live.com
    <link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="http://hp.msn.com/global/c/hpv10/
    favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" /> from msn.com
    Now what could be the difference between what didn't work for me, but
    will work somehow for Microsoft. After fooling around this is what I
    tried

    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://joshknutson.net/images/icons/
    favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
    which works for some unexplainable reason unless I am just caching the
    results of playing around with it a few different times, this was
    tested within IE7 and seemed to have worked for me.
    If need be check out http://joshknutson.net/index.cfm to let me know
    if this doesn't work with ie6 and such

    Emergence, Aug 6, 2007

  2. Emergence wrote:

    > Opera and FF typically will work when this issue arises but will not
    > work within IE a lot of the times.

    Favicons for IE6 and lower only show up when you bookmark the site. And
    then disappear when you clear the browser's cache...

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 6, 2007

  3. Emergence

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 06 Aug 2007 17:55:18 GMT
    Emergence scribed:

    > <link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://joshknutson.net/images/icons/
    > favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
    > which works for some unexplainable reason unless I am just caching the
    > results of playing around with it a few different times, this was
    > tested within IE7 and seemed to have worked for me.
    > If need be check out http://joshknutson.net/index.cfm to let me know
    > if this doesn't work with ie6 and such

    Favicons don't work in ie6 at all. Yes, there may be some _temporary_
    conditions under which you will see one in the address bar, but that hardly
    constitutes "working".

    I haven't really checked ie7. However, if it depends upon what's in the
    cache and/or bookmarks, it doesn't _work_ there, either.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Aug 6, 2007