The Underhanded C Contest is back

xcottcraver

Greetings,

After a four (?) year hiatus, the Underhanded C Contest is back at underhanded.xcott.com.

The goal of the Underhanded C Contest is writing short, clear, obvious and readable C code that somehow does something evil, in a manner that is not obvious when staring at the source code. It is meant to be a humorous demonstration of the limits of informal code review.

This year's challenge is bypassing privacy levels in a social network. Thecontest opens today, April 1st, and ends July 4th. The prize is a gift certificate to ThinkGeek dot com.

--S

xcottcraver

Hi,

Apparently the "slashdot effect" caused Mochahost to screw up the contest web site in a way that they don't know how to fix.

I have copied the core contest material (contest rules and 2009 winners) to my university web page, in the mean time. Find it here:

http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/~scraver/underhanded/

I apologize for the inconvenience.

--S

xcottcraver

Hi again,

The contest is back online at underhanded.xcott.com.

It turns out that someone at Mochahost responded to the Slashdot traffic surge by adding a filtering rule to time-out on any HTTP request containing "underhanded" as a substring. Setting "underhanded" as the user agent caused a time-out, having an "underhanded" subdirectory caused a time-out, etc.

--S