The underlying connection was closed, an unexpected error occurred on a receive

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by OpHi, Nov 12, 2003.

  1. OpHi

    OpHi Guest

    Hi,

    I have a client (w2ksrv) that makes calls to a web service
    (w2k3) and occasionally - 1 in 20 or so requests - I was
    receiving the following error:

    "The underlying connection was closed, an unexpected error
    occurred on a receive"

    This only seemed to happen after the web service had been
    left idle for +1hr. After scouring several newsgroup posts
    on google I found one where someone at Microsoft
    recommended turning http keep-alives off. I did this by
    overloading the GetWebRequest of my proxy class and this
    appeared to resolve the issue.. until 5 mins ago, when I
    received this error:

    "The underlying connection was closed, an unexpected error
    occurred on a send"

    So, it now appears the error occurs on a send. This is
    apparently a problem with the .NET framework itself where
    it tries to make a request on a closed channel. On this
    page: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-
    us;819450 it says I have to contact Microsoft Product
    Support Services for a fix - We are not willing to pay for
    this.

    I have the same web service running on w2ksrv and have not
    experienced this problem.

    Please Microsoft can you post a solution to this?

    related links:
    http://www.cephas.net/blog/
    http://www.io.com/~maus/HttpKeepAlive.html
    us;821156
    us;819450

    Thanks,
    OpHi
    OpHi, Nov 12, 2003

  2. OpHi

    Joseph Crum Guest

    I am also having this problem, but I can reproduce this problem at will,
    using an application that repeatedly calls my web service. Sometimes the
    connection closed error occurs after a few iterations, sometimes 30 or more,
    but it always occurs eventually.
    My WS is running on W2K Pro, IIS 5.0. After the connection closed error,
    subsequent requests to the WS time out. The only way to get the WS working
    again is to restart IIS.

    I agree that it looks like a problem in the 1.1 framework, or in IIS.

    Joseph Crum, Nov 12, 2003