The underlying connection was closed (Windows2003, .net 1.1 sp1)

Jack Wright

Dear All,
I have a long running WebService that is called from an aspx page
Asynchronously...if the WebService takes more than an hour I get an
error
"The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on
a receive"
I looked into the newgroups and applied the following suggestions
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819450
and also
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821156
as my WebServer is Windows Server 2003 IIS 6.0 and .net 1.1...I
applied the SP1 patch of .net 1.1...
but still this does not seem to work...could someone please help
asap...

TALIA
Many Regards
Jack

Ollie

do you normally keep a HTTP request open for an hour....

Would you browse to a web page in your borwser for an hour?

HTH

Ollie Riches

bruce barker

check the timeout on the webservice call. check the timeout on the
webservice page. check the asp.net worker process timeout. check the page
timeout at all ends.

also you should start up a new thread to do the webservice call, as the
if any those requests do a response.end or server transfer, the thread will
be killed.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

| Dear All,
| I have a long running WebService that is called from an aspx page
| Asynchronously...if the WebService takes more than an hour I get an
| error
| "The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on
| a receive"
| I looked into the newgroups and applied the following suggestions
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819450
| and also
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821156
| as my WebServer is Windows Server 2003 IIS 6.0 and .net 1.1...I
| applied the SP1 patch of .net 1.1...
| but still this does not seem to work...could someone please help
| asap...
|
| TALIA
| Many Regards
| Jack

Jack Wright

check the timeout on the webservice call.
oProxy.Timeout = 72000;
check the timeout on the webservice page.
Server.HttpScriptTimeout = 72000;
check the asp.net worker process timeout.
Server.HttpScriptTimeout = 72000;
check the page timeout at all ends.
What are the other timeouts possible?
also you should start up a new thread to do the webservice call, as the
if any those requests do a response.end or server transfer, the thread will
be killed.
I don't believe this. My thread is in a busy state. It cannot go back
to the pool. It has a callback function.
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821156
| as my WebServer is Windows Server 2003 IIS 6.0 and .net 1.1...I
| applied the SP1 patch of .net 1.1...
I read this site and it says that I have to pay for the Windows 2003
hot fix else wait for another SP of .net...will applying this hot fix
solve my problem? Why do I have to pay for it?

My work flow is the following:
I have an Export.aspx page which when posted back starts an
Asynchronous Service...and returns back...I have a progress.aspx that
checks a session variable for its status...in the callback of the
WebService I write the ported records and the status in the session
variable...this is read by the progress.aspx...

Please help...

TALIA
Many Regards
Jack