The underlying connection was closed

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Rajeev Tipnis, Aug 17, 2004.

  1. Two separate machines:
    1. Web Services Client (for load testing):
    A simple .net console app (.NET 1.1 Framework)

    2. Web Services Server:
    A .Net web service (long running, so using server side
    asynchronous web methods).
    Hosted on IIS 6.0 (on Win2K3) on .NET 1.1 Framework.

    I start to see the following errors when the load goes
    beyond a certain threshold
    (about 25 connections, I believe are open at that point).

    System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed-out.
    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()
    at
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invok
    e(String methodN
    ame, Object[] parameters)

    System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was
    closed: The request was c
    anceled.
    at
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResp
    onse(WebRequest
    request)
    at
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtocol.GetWeb
    Response(WebRequ
    est request)
    at
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invok
    e(String methodN
    ame, Object[] parameters)

    Now, I have googled and read "many many articles" around
    this problem
    including this article from KB:
    us;819450

    What I have experimented with so far:
    - Cleared the keep-alive flag on the IIS and on the
    client by overriding the
    client proxy methods
    - IIS 6.0 is configured to receive unlimited connections
    and configured to have really
    long timeouts

    I havent asked for the beta-fix from Microsoft (as
    mentioned in the article) yet.

    My questions are:
    1. Do I need this fix/patch? If I am using .NET 1.1, why
    do I need this patch?
    2. Will this really solve my problem?
    3. I refuse to believe that a shipping Microsoft product
    can have such a glaring bug
    - not to mention in such a highly marketed / touted area
    of "webservices"!

    Rajeev Tipnis
    Rajeev Tipnis, Aug 17, 2004