    Deryck

    PS
    Sorry if this is OT but this group seemed a likely audience for such a post.

    Deryck, Jan 18, 2005

  2. Deryck

    Karl Core Guest

    "Deryck" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone have any views on the value of CIW certification for web
    > designer/administrator/programmer types please? If you've got one of their
    > certificates has it helped you get a job? If you're an employer, would you
    > value it when selecting potential new employees?

    I have a Master CIW. It was absolutely no help in getting a job, IMO.
    The cert is helpful however, because it covers a breadth of information that
    will be helpful later on.
    But don't count on it as your ticket through the door.
    In fact, I have a friend who has a Master's in Comp. Sci. and he can't get a
    job, so a CIW surely isn't going to help.

    Naturally since I am in the USA, my experience might be different than
    yours. Your best bet is to learn as much as you possibly can, do a ton of
    free work and personal sites to show what you can do, find some freelance
    work, and pass your resume out to everyone you can.

    --
    -Karl Core
    Please Support "Project Boneyard":

    Karl Core, Jan 18, 2005

  3. Deryck

    Augustus Guest

    "Deryck" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone have any views on the value of CIW certification for web
    > designer/administrator/programmer types please? If you've got one of their
    > certificates has it helped you get a job? If you're an employer, would you
    > value it when selecting potential new employees?

    If you are planning on doing web development as a freelancer:
    In this case a certificate of any kind will have little to no value.
    Potential clients will have no idea what your certificate means... if they
    do know then odds are they can probably just do it (build the website)
    themselves. If you freelance, the most important skill to have is sales
    ability - somebody who is a lousy programmer or designer but great at sales
    can probably rack up more jobs than somebody who is a great
    programmer/designer but who has little to no sales skills.

    If you are planning on doing web development as an employee for a web
    development company:
    In this case a certificate might have a little more value, but it would
    still just be a little bit. In this case your portfolio: what you've done
    in the past and what you can do in the future, will have more weight with a
    potential employer. The thing with any certification is that anybody could
    cram for the exams and get a pass and then not retain any useful
    information, or keep trying for it until you get a pass (don't pass the
    first time? try a 2nd time... or a 3rd... or a 4th... or a 50th... or a
    100th...)

    Augustus, Jan 18, 2005
  4. Deryck

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:53:27 -0000, "Deryck"
    <> wrote:

    >Does anyone have any views on the value of CIW certification

    Paper's a bit scratchy. Can't think of any other use for it.

    Andy Dingley, Jan 18, 2005