The value of web.config RSA encryption

Max2006

Hi,

In our production environment, we would like to protect our database
connection string against system administrators (they are admin on the web
server box)
I went through this article that describes options how to encrypt the
connection string section within the web.config:

The article explains that aspnet_regiis -pdf can easily decrypt the
web.config back to clear text situation. That means administrator can
decrypt all database connection strings. So there is not much point for
encrypting the web.config for us.

I wonder if there is any technique, so the decryption won't be easy (like
using a salt or secondary key that only web application knows)

Any help would be appreciated,
Max

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Max,

Based on my experience it's impossible to protect the connection string
against system administrators. If we need ASP.NET to get the connection
string ASP.NET must know how to decrypt it. As we know, system
administrator has the highest privilege. If the ASP.NET account can know
the key to decrypt it the system admin can know that as well.

What I can suggest is, if you don't trust the administrators of the server
hosting your web site, you can host your web site yourself. If you have no
other choice maybe you can seek some legal advices.

Hope my suggestions can help and please let me know if you need further
assistance.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).

http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=en-us.

--------------------
| From: "Max2006" <[email protected]>
| Subject: The value of web.config RSA encryption
| Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 12:18:43 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi,
|
| In our production environment, we would like to protect our database
| connection string against system administrators (they are admin on the
web
| server box)
| I went through this article that describes options how to encrypt the
| connection string section within the web.config:
|
| http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998283.aspx
|
| The article explains that aspnet_regiis -pdf can easily decrypt the
| web.config back to clear text situation. That means administrator can
| decrypt all database connection strings. So there is not much point for
| encrypting the web.config for us.
|
| I wonder if there is any technique, so the decryption won't be easy (like
| using a salt or secondary key that only web application knows)
|
| Any help would be appreciated,
| Max

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Max,