The way to develope a graphical application to manage a Postgresdatabase

Discussion in 'Python' started by Csanyi Pal, Aug 2, 2012.

  1. Csanyi Pal

    Csanyi Pal Guest

    Hi,

    I'm new to python.

    I'm searching for a way to develope a Python graphical application for a
    Postgresql database.

    I have installed on my Debian GNU/Linux testing/sid system many python
    packages, among others:
    eric, geany, idle, ninja-ide, pida (it doesn't work here), python2.7,
    python-easygui, python-forgetsql, python-gasp, python-glade2,
    python-gobject-2, python-gtk2, python-pip, python-pygresql,
    python-pyside.qtsql, python-subversion, python-tk, python-wxglade,
    spyder, python3-psycopg2, python-psycopg2, XRCed.

    I did search in the Google but can't find any good tutorial except for
    wxpython tutorial: http://wiki.wxpython.org/FrontPage,
    wxGlade tutorial: http://wiki.wxpython.org/WxGladeTutorial

    There is a tutorial for using python-psycopg2 here:
    http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Psycopg2_Tutorial

    Still I don't know how to put these all together?

    XRCed is the most interesting way for me.

    Can one advices me where to go?

    --
    Regards from Pal

    Csanyi Pal, Aug 2, 2012

  2. Re: The way to develope a graphical application to manage aPostgres database

    > Can one advices me where to go?

    There are a number of Python frameworks for GUI database applications:

    - Dabo (wxPython)
    - Sqlkit (PyGTK & SQLalchemy)
    - Pypapi (PyQt & SQLalchemy)
    - Camelot (PyQt & SQLalchemy)
    - Qtalchemy (PyQt & SQLalchemy)
    - Openobject (PyGTK)
    - Defis (wxPython & SQLalchemy), Russian only
    - Kiwi (PyGTK)

    Not sure whether these are still active:

    - Gnuenterprise (wxPython)
    - Pythoncard (wxPython)

    Sincerely,

    Wolfgang Keller

    Wolfgang Keller, Aug 5, 2012

  3. Csanyi Pal

    Walter Hurry Guest

    On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 20:24:36 +0200, Csanyi Pal wrote:

    > I'm searching for a way to develope a Python graphical application for a
    > Postgresql database.

    I use wxGlade/wxPython to build the GUI, and then hand code the database
    access using psycopg2 into the generated application. Works very well for
    me, but I do know SQL and Postgres.

    Walter Hurry, Aug 5, 2012
  4. Csanyi Pal

    Csanyi Pal Guest

    Walter Hurry <> writes:

    > On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 20:24:36 +0200, Csanyi Pal wrote:
    >
    >> I'm searching for a way to develope a Python graphical application for a
    >> Postgresql database.

    > I use wxGlade/wxPython to build the GUI, and then hand code the database
    > access using psycopg2 into the generated application. Works very well for
    > me, but I do know SQL and Postgres.

    Well, I tried out many adviced ways but none of them works on my Debian
    GNU/Linux testing/sid system. Always get some error in one of the part
    of the software.

    Can you give a short tutorial for newbies how to start to develope with
    tools you used successfully?

    --
    Regards from Pal

    Csanyi Pal, Aug 5, 2012
  5. Csanyi Pal

    Walter Hurry Guest

    On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 17:58:46 +0200, Csanyi Pal wrote:

    > Well, I tried out many adviced ways but none of them works on my Debian
    > GNU/Linux testing/sid system. Always get some error in one of the part
    > of the software.
    >
    > Can you give a short tutorial for newbies how to start to develope with
    > tools you used successfully?

    I'm afraid I'm not about to write a tutorial - there are better ones out
    there than I could produce; easily found.

    I just DuckDuckGo'ed, followed the tutorials and read the documentation.

    Walter Hurry, Aug 5, 2012
  6. On 05/08/2012 16:58, Csanyi Pal wrote:
    > Walter Hurry <> writes:
    >
    >> On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 20:24:36 +0200, Csanyi Pal wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm searching for a way to develope a Python graphical application for a
    >>> Postgresql database.

    >> I use wxGlade/wxPython to build the GUI, and then hand code the database
    >> access using psycopg2 into the generated application. Works very well for
    >> me, but I do know SQL and Postgres.

    > Well, I tried out many adviced ways but none of them works on my Debian
    > GNU/Linux testing/sid system. Always get some error in one of the part
    > of the software.

    If you give precise details by cutting and pasting the error people will
    be able to help.

    > Can you give a short tutorial for newbies how to start to develope with
    > tools you used successfully?

    Seek and ye shall find!!!

    --
    Cheers.

    Mark Lawrence.

    Mark Lawrence, Aug 5, 2012
  7. Csanyi Pal

    Csanyi Pal Guest

    Mark Lawrence <> writes:

    > On 05/08/2012 16:58, Csanyi Pal wrote:
    >> Walter Hurry <> writes:

    >>> I use wxGlade/wxPython to build the GUI, and then hand code the database
    >>> access using psycopg2 into the generated application. Works very well for
    >>> me, but I do know SQL and Postgres.

    >> Well, I tried out many adviced ways but none of them works on my Debian
    >> GNU/Linux testing/sid system. Always get some error in one of the part
    >> of the software.

    > If you give precise details by cutting and pasting the error people
    > will be able to help.

    I shall do that later.

    >> Can you give a short tutorial for newbies how to start to develope with
    >> tools you used successfully?
    >>

    > Seek and ye shall find!!!

    Ye, if I find spare time I shall do that certainly.

    --
    Regards from Pal

    Csanyi Pal, Aug 5, 2012
  8. Csanyi Pal

    rusi Guest

    On Aug 5, 11:26 pm, Csanyi Pal <> wrote:
    > Mark Lawrence <> writes:

    > >> Well, I tried out many adviced ways but none of them works on my Debian
    > >> GNU/Linux testing/sid system. Always get some error in one of the part
    > >> of the software.

    > > If you give precise details by cutting and pasting the error people
    > > will be able to help.

    > I shall do that later.

    Chris already suggested that you try GUI without DBMS and DBMS without
    GUI first before trying the two together.
    One way of subverting the DBMS-stage (its called mocking nowadays!) is
    to use sqlite instead of a full-scale DBMS like postgres. After that
    works you can switch to postgres.

    rusi, Aug 7, 2012