The way to develope a graphical application to manage a Postgresdatabase

Csanyi Pal

Hi,

I'm new to python.

I'm searching for a way to develope a Python graphical application for a
Postgresql database.

I have installed on my Debian GNU/Linux testing/sid system many python
packages, among others:
eric, geany, idle, ninja-ide, pida (it doesn't work here), python2.7,
python-easygui, python-forgetsql, python-gasp, python-glade2,
python-gobject-2, python-gtk2, python-pip, python-pygresql,
python-pyside.qtsql, python-subversion, python-tk, python-wxglade,
spyder, python3-psycopg2, python-psycopg2, XRCed.

I did search in the Google but can't find any good tutorial except for
wxpython tutorial: http://wiki.wxpython.org/FrontPage,
wxGlade tutorial: http://wiki.wxpython.org/WxGladeTutorial

There is a tutorial for using python-psycopg2 here:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Psycopg2_Tutorial

Still I don't know how to put these all together?

XRCed is the most interesting way for me.

Can one advices me where to go?

Wolfgang Keller

Can one advices me where to go?

There are a number of Python frameworks for GUI database applications:

- Dabo (wxPython)
- Sqlkit (PyGTK & SQLalchemy)
- Pypapi (PyQt & SQLalchemy)
- Camelot (PyQt & SQLalchemy)
- Qtalchemy (PyQt & SQLalchemy)
- Openobject (PyGTK)
- Defis (wxPython & SQLalchemy), Russian only
- Kiwi (PyGTK)

Not sure whether these are still active:

- Gnuenterprise (wxPython)
- Pythoncard (wxPython)

Sincerely,

Wolfgang Keller

Walter Hurry

I'm searching for a way to develope a Python graphical application for a
Postgresql database.

I use wxGlade/wxPython to build the GUI, and then hand code the database
access using psycopg2 into the generated application. Works very well for
me, but I do know SQL and Postgres.

Csanyi Pal

Walter Hurry said:
I use wxGlade/wxPython to build the GUI, and then hand code the database
access using psycopg2 into the generated application. Works very well for
me, but I do know SQL and Postgres.

Well, I tried out many adviced ways but none of them works on my Debian
GNU/Linux testing/sid system. Always get some error in one of the part
of the software.

Can you give a short tutorial for newbies how to start to develope with
tools you used successfully?

Walter Hurry

Well, I tried out many adviced ways but none of them works on my Debian
GNU/Linux testing/sid system. Always get some error in one of the part
of the software.

Can you give a short tutorial for newbies how to start to develope with
tools you used successfully?

I'm afraid I'm not about to write a tutorial - there are better ones out
there than I could produce; easily found.

I just DuckDuckGo'ed, followed the tutorials and read the documentation.

Mark Lawrence

Well, I tried out many adviced ways but none of them works on my Debian
GNU/Linux testing/sid system. Always get some error in one of the part
of the software.

If you give precise details by cutting and pasting the error people will
be able to help.
Can you give a short tutorial for newbies how to start to develope with
tools you used successfully?

Seek and ye shall find!!!

rusi

I shall do that later.

Chris already suggested that you try GUI without DBMS and DBMS without
GUI first before trying the two together.
One way of subverting the DBMS-stage (its called mocking nowadays!) is
to use sqlite instead of a full-scale DBMS like postgres. After that
works you can switch to postgres.

MaybelleMa