The Z axis and simple menu buttons/image buttons

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jonathan N. Little, Apr 1, 2007.

  1. Tom Miller wrote:
    > I have been working on simple menu button/image buttons off and on for quite
    > a while. And I haven't been really all that happy with my results. I
    > currently like the results with CSS rollovers better. But.....

    Where is the URL to what you have been trying?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 1, 2007

  2. Jonathan N. Little

    Tom Miller Guest

    I have been working on simple menu button/image buttons off and on for quite
    a while. And I haven't been really all that happy with my results. I
    currently like the results with CSS rollovers better. But.....

    Using the layers effect of the Z axis (I think that is what it is called)
    can I use a single button image and change the name "on" the button?
    Easily?

    Thanks,
    Tom Miller
    --
    Try http://www.ChatNFiles.com which has a new telnet chat system and a HUGE
    file downloads collection. Ecard: http://bccs.chatnfiles.com/ecard3.htm

    Tom Miller, Apr 1, 2007

  3. Jonathan N. Little

    Tom Miller Guest

    > Tom Miller wrote:
    >> I have been working on simple menu button/image buttons off and on for
    >> quite a while. And I haven't been really all that happy with my results.
    >> I currently like the results with CSS rollovers better. But.....
    >>

    > Where is the URL to what you have been trying?

    Jonathan,
    I don't have a webpage up with this right now. When I first studied and
    tried this it was before CSS was well known/popular so my only choice
    appeared to be using graphics files/buttons to do this. About 2 versions
    ago at www.chatnfiles.com I got some borrowed javascript to sort of work
    but sometimes it didn't link to the right page. I am still interested in
    exploring simple ways to create button based menus without having to using a
    graphics editor to create/change the words displayed on the button.

    Thanks,
    Tom Miller

    Tom Miller, Apr 1, 2007
  4. Jonathan N. Little

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 1 Apr, 15:13, "Tom Miller" <> wrote:

    > Using the layers effect of the Z axis (I think that is what it is called)
    > can I use a single button image and change the name "on" the button?

    Yes, but you don't need to.

    CSS rollovers affect the background, HTML is the foreground. You
    already have enough distinction on the Z index to do what you need,
    without needing to set the z-index property directly.

    You usually only need to tweak z-index directly if you're using HTML
    elements and trying to make their appearance different from that
    implicit from their nesting.

    Andy Dingley, Apr 2, 2007