The Zen of Zope, by Alex Clark

Discussion in 'Python' started by Alex Clark, Dec 10, 2012.

  1. Alex Clark

    Alex Clark Guest

    >>> import other
    The Zen of Zope, by Alex Clark

    Beautiful is an attribute of ugly.
    Explicit is implemented by implicit.
    Simple is provided by complex.
    Complex is directly provided by complicated.
    Flat only implements nested.
    Sparse has tagged value dense.
    Readability count is not in range.
    Special cases could not adapt the rules.
    Practicality implements purity.
    Errors should never require a specification that doesn’t extend the
    specification of silence.
    Unless explicit is a multi-adapter.
    In subscribing to ambiguity, return all the objects that refuse the
    temptation to guess.
    There should be none-- and preferably only zero --output from a handler.
    Although that way may not be obvious at first unless you've registered
    an adapter hook.
    Now is verified by never.
    Although never is not implemented by *right* now.
    If the implementation is hard to explain, it queries the bad idea utility.
    If the implementation is easy to explain, it may query the good idea utility.
    Implicit namespace packages are one honking great idea -- let's do more
    of those!

    --
    Alex Clark · https://www.gittip.com/aclark4life/

    Alex Clark, Dec 10, 2012

  2. On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 20:13:43 -0500, Alex Clark wrote:

    > The Zen of Zope, by Alex Clark

    I expect that I would find that hilarious if I knew anything about Zope :)

    --
    Steven

    Steven D'Aprano, Dec 10, 2012

  3. Alex Clark

    Alex Clark Guest

    Alex Clark, Dec 10, 2012
  4. Steven D'Aprano wrote:
    > On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 20:13:43 -0500, Alex Clark wrote:
    >
    >>The Zen of Zope, by Alex Clark

    > I expect that I would find that hilarious if I knew anything about Zope :)

    It's probably a good thing I don't know much about Zope,
    because I'm already finding it hilarious. If I knew more,
    the hilarity level might become physically dangerous.

    --
    Greg

    Gregory Ewing, Dec 11, 2012
  5. Alex Clark

    Alex Clark Guest

    On 2012-12-11 21:01:03 +0000, Gregory Ewing said:

    > Steven D'Aprano wrote:
    >> On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 20:13:43 -0500, Alex Clark wrote:
    > >
    >>> The Zen of Zope, by Alex Clark

    >> I expect that I would find that hilarious if I knew anything about Zope :)

    > It's probably a good thing I don't know much about Zope,
    > because I'm already finding it hilarious. If I knew more,
    > the hilarity level might become physically dangerous.

    Well, the point is two-fold:

    - Provide comic relief for those who have encountered unexpected
    complexity in Zope.
    - Showcase Zope's strengths for those who may be unfamiliar with it.

    TL;DR: Zope has a lot to offer, and there are times when you may need
    its libraries to perform complex tasks.

    --
    Alex Clark · https://www.gittip.com/aclark4life/

    Alex Clark, Dec 11, 2012
  6. Alex Clark

    alex23 Guest

    On Dec 12, 7:23 am, Alex Clark <> wrote:
    > TL;DR: Zope has a lot to offer, and there are times when you may need
    > its libraries to perform complex tasks.

    I always avoided Zope as I kept hearing "there's the Python way and
    then there's the Zope way", however, all that did is lead me to avoid
    a framework representing almost 15 years worth of experience. Having
    now been exposed to it through Plone, I'm finding a lot there to like,
    like zope.interface.

    alex23, Dec 12, 2012
  7. Alex Clark

    Alex Clark Guest

    On 2012-12-12 00:36:29 +0000, alex23 said:

    > On Dec 12, 7:23 am, Alex Clark <> wrote:
    >> TL;DR: Zope has a lot to offer, and there are times when you may need
    >> its libraries to perform complex tasks.

    > I always avoided Zope as I kept hearing "there's the Python way and
    > then there's the Zope way", however, all that did is lead me to avoid
    > a framework representing almost 15 years worth of experience. Having
    > now been exposed to it through Plone, I'm finding a lot there to like,
    > like zope.interface.

    Indeed, and getting folks to discuss Zope (especially in a positive
    way) is part of my goal.

    --
    Alex Clark · https://www.gittip.com/aclark4life/

    Alex Clark, Dec 12, 2012