There has to be a better way to develop web applications.

j-integra_support

Some related thoughts:
1) It is simply not cost effective for any company to "start from
scratch" and rebuild everything with the latest and greatest
language/platform.
2) All technologies have their own strengths and weaknesses. To limit
yourself to one language/platform or another does not make good
business sense. Choose the technology based on your requirements.
3) With that said, interoperability has/will become an issue for all
businesses. Having an interoperability plan is key!
4) Web Services is the latest approach to interoperability, but it is
proving (like all technology) to have strengths and weaknesses.
5) What do you do when Web Services proves to be much too slow for your
requirements? What if your development team has no experience working
with WS and you have tight deadlines to meet? This is where other
interoperability approaches are needed, preferably ones that are easy
to implement and optimize performance. The following whitepaper
discusses your options for interoperability...
http://j-integra.intrinsyc.com/pdfs/whitepaper_interop.pdf

Shane Sauer
J-Integra Interoperability Solutions
http://j-integra.intrinsyc.com/
When Web Services are not enough

Guest

Thanks for continuing the discussing, but I think you have gone down a rabbit
hole. Let me explain.

your 1) This is not something new, in my 25 yrs of IT work this challenge
is part of every decission to build or purchase and requires the same
attention as any analysis on projects direction. Consequently, I'm not
exactly sure how this applies to our discussion.

your 2) I don't disagree with your opinion however, it would be the
exception rather than the rule. Changing technologies or bringing in
competing technologies can have a very negative on the delivery of business
systems. In other words many large enterprises have or will make their
technology decisions not so much on technology but on the costs of
re-training and support costs for additional technologies. These costs are
not in-significant.

your 3) Sorry but I'm not sure the point you are trying to make here. This
has been apart of of enterprise architecture for many years.

your 4) This isn't anything new an architect is always making decissions
with these points in mind. The type of technology used doesn't have an
impact, the design and the implementation has much more impact.

your 5) See 4 above.

JJ_377

I've read through about twenty or so of these interesting comments so
far and coincidentally, the last I've seen so far, #42, item 4 has
particular significance to me:

Having served in various roles in several development projects, I
believe the the most challenging obstacle in my teams has been to
define the program's logic; without this, I'm certain tools do not
matter. I've seen programmers (developers) do things that would
challenge roundly what .NET provides to us as a matter of course.

I come from a classic ASP/VB background -- with some Java in college --
and I relish change, technology, and the magic of programming. .NET has
not disappointed me.