They "upgraded" the tennis site I wrote.

Richard Formby

You've got to love those precious little client darhlings, especially when
the Indian Wells thing is on and Federer just got thumped.

Wrote this a year or two ago, for free, no charge, charity job, gratis. The
local tennis club where I play tennis. You'll see me there, in the TNX and
TNM comps, not doing to well I must admit.

http://barefile.com.au/hdta/ (from a backup copy of the site)

Yep, there are rough edges, most of them from me gradually perfecting the
CMS I wrote to allow them to automatically upload scores, draws and other
info directly from their excel spreadsheets at the press of a macro button.
Trying to make it idiot proof. The finals pictures have been removed. Also,
the content is largely theirs, it being a CMS based site.

I liked the site, wanted to leave it in my portfolio.

Well, when I resigned from the committe they spent four weeks to "upgrade"
the web site to... this:

http://www.hdta.org.au/

Dylan Parry

Richard said:

I don't particularly like the look of either design[1], but that's from
a purely aesthetic and personal viewpoint. I would admit though, that
your design is by far the more usable of the two.

_____
[1] Of course, taking into account the fact you did it for free, I
wouldn't expect it to be the Sistine Chapel :)

--
Dylan Parry

The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.

Richard Formby

Dylan Parry
Richard said:

I don't particularly like the look of either design[1],

Could you expand on this please Dylan? Just a bit, and only for the first
site. Just for my edifaction, the site is dead anyway but your insight may
change what I produce in the future

FWIW here is the original site that I inherited:

http://barefile.com.au/hdta_old/

They wanted the new one (the one I wrote) to *look like this* :)

I Like the ball.

Jonathan N. Little

Richard said:
Well, when I resigned from the committe they spent four weeks to "upgrade"
the web site to... this:

http://www.hdta.org.au/

I thought it was several pages with nothing but a tennis ball, but
then...oh, you must scroll! Pretty nice tennis ball though!

Jonathan N. Little

Richard said:
Dylan Parry
Richard said:
I don't particularly like the look of either design[1],

Could you expand on this please Dylan? Just a bit, and only for the first
site. Just for my edifaction, the site is dead anyway but your insight may
change what I produce in the future

I think he means the new site has a slick graphic look. But just window
dressing since the content is not readily accessible.

Andy Dingley

You've got to love those precious little client darhlings,

I wrote a big site a while back and just about managed to line the
client's design and pixel-perfect fetish up with being valid,
moderately fluid and even working on IE5/Mac! (25% budget over-run
thanks to the Mac issues).

Then they replaced it wtih this http://www.gamesradar.com
(the only "content" is in the 3rd letterbox down)
Wrote this a year or two ago, for free, no charge, charity job, gratis. The
local tennis club where I play tennis.

To be honest, I prefer their 2nd version. It _looks_ better.

Yes, technically yours does the business and is far better
implemented. However something as simple as that image background
makes it visually more appealing. I don't think they were wrong to
rework things (the customer isn't always right, but they're rarely
completely wrong), it's just a shame they couldn't have achieved what
they really wanted (a bit more eye candy) without breaking everything
else at no doubt vast expense.

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
I thought it was several pages with nothing but a tennis ball, but
then...oh, you must scroll! Pretty nice tennis ball though!

Me too! OP's efforts resulted in a quite decent usuable site,
this latest is sheerly incompetent.

OP can communicate this opinion of mine if he wants to the tennis
assoc. and tell them that I speak from the authority of having
been school table tennis champion for 3 years running - beating
the likes of Gosling (who scared other kids), and Thompson (whose
dad always seem to have Aston Martins that kept "doing the ton")

BrodieSola