Third Level Domain And ASP.NET 2.0

Guest

I need to write and test a new ASP.NET 2.0 application that uses third level
domains, like test.MyDomainName.Com. I just cannot figure out how to get the
new development server to allow this, if its even possible.

I have already tried http://test.localhost:2600/NewProject/Index.aspx, and
it does not like that. Then I added test.localhost to my host file to resolve
to 127.0.0.1 and tried the same URL again and it works, but ASP code of
Request.Url.Host only returns localhost. I have poked all around in the
properties in the request object as well as the request.url object and cannot
find anywhere were its picking up my domain prefix.

Anyone dealt with this before?

Thx in advance!

Ross

Juan T. Llibre

What you need to do is run a DNS server on your development server's box,
configure your test subdomain, and use IIS instead of VS 2005's internal server.

Guest

Cool, thx for the reply Juan!

I figured it out now. People dont call these "third level domains" like I
do, I guess the more common term is "subdomain". :) Go figure... Found lots
more info on Google after figuring that out...

Between your response and a few reponses to the subdomain google queries I
did, I took a little more simplistic approach since I did not want stand up a
DNS server on my box.

For anyone else wanting a solution, what I did was setup the Windows XP IIS
default website to point at my new ASP.NET 2.0 website I'm developing, I
edited my host file and created domains in there like test1.localhost.com,
test2.localhost.com and pointed them all at 127.0.0.1, then set up these test
subdomains as host headers in the default IIS website and bingo, I have a
functional test enviorment!

Thx!

Ross