This "FORM" did not work very well

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Raymond SCHMIT, Feb 21, 2008.

  1. Hello everybody,
    On an outing site, there is a FORM used to ask to receive a
    login/password for accessing to the "co-voiturage" (car-sharing) part
    of the site.
    After entering data in the form's zones, clicking the "Envoi" button
    will sent transparently a mail containing the request with all the
    form's zones in the mail. (two people saying that)

    Using my pc, i got only an opened mail ready to be sent, but with only
    the mail-adress filled. If i sent this mail, i will sent an empty mail
    without any subject. So, this is not "tranparent" and the mail is not
    filled with the usefull values from the filled FORM.

    How is that possible that the FORM work for 2 persons, and not for me
    ?
    Hereafter is an extract of the html page(i have changed the
    mail-adress for "not sending mail to the webmaster :))
    (Say me if you need the complete html page.)

    <FORM ACTION="mailto:" METHOD=POST name=forme
    enctype="text/plain">
    <P><FONT FACE="Comic Sans MS"><INPUT TYPE=text NAME=Nom
    VALUE="Acc&egrave;s au co-voiturage" SIZE=25></FONT></P>

    <P><FONT FACE="Comic Sans MS">Nom
    <INPUT TYPE=text NAME=Nom VALUE="" SIZE=30></FONT></P>

    <P><FONT FACE="Comic Sans MS">Pr&eacute;nom
    <INPUT TYPE=text NAME=Prenom VALUE="" SIZE=30></FONT></P>

    <P><FONT FACE="Comic Sans MS">E_mail
    <INPUT TYPE=text NAME=email VALUE="" SIZE=50></FONT></P>

    <P><FONT FACE="Comic Sans MS">Ville
    <INPUT TYPE=text NAME=ville VALUE="" SIZE=30></FONT></P>

    <DL>
    <DD><CENTER><INPUT TYPE=button NAME=Envoi VALUE="Envoi"
    onclick="verif();">
    <INPUT TYPE=reset VALUE="Effacer"></CENTER></DD>
    </DL>

    </FORM>

    Raymond SCHMIT, Feb 21, 2008

  2. Raymond SCHMIT

    rf Guest

    "Raymond SCHMIT" <> wrote in message
    > Hello everybody,
    > On an outing site, there is a FORM used to ask to receive a
    > login/password for accessing to the "co-voiturage" (car-sharing) part
    > of the site.

    > <FORM ACTION="mailto:" METHOD=POST name=forme
    > enctype="text/plain">

    mailto: is broken.

    Apart from your problem, what about somebody who uses, say, gmail, or
    somebody in a public library. In both cases there is no email client for
    mailto: to launch.

    Use a server side process.

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Feb 21, 2008

  3. On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 23:44:59 GMT, "rf" <> wrote:

    >"Raymond SCHMIT" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello everybody,
    >> On an outing site, there is a FORM used to ask to receive a
    >> login/password for accessing to the "co-voiturage" (car-sharing) part
    >> of the site.

    >> <FORM ACTION="mailto:" METHOD=POST name=forme
    >> enctype="text/plain">

    >mailto: is broken.

    Thanks for answering. but...
    I don't understant this sentence.

    >Apart from your problem, what about somebody who uses, say, gmail, or
    >somebody in a public library. In both cases there is no email client for
    >mailto: to launch.

    Correct !

    >Use a server side process.

    This is what i tried to convince the webmaster to do this way- but he
    say: It works correctly for me and for another people, therefore you
    must have a problem with your pc....grrr....

    I remberred that i used in the past <FORM
    ACTION="http://home.scarlet.be/cgi-bin/FormMail.pl" METHOD=POST>
    but .....the webmaster doenot like perl and is convinced that his
    method should work for everybody...

    The question is : Why this construction works with this "another
    people" and not with me ?

    Raymond SCHMIT, Feb 22, 2008
  4. Raymond SCHMIT

    > On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 23:44:59 GMT, "rf" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Raymond SCHMIT" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello everybody,
    >>> On an outing site, there is a FORM used to ask to receive a
    >>> login/password for accessing to the "co-voiturage" (car-sharing) part
    >>> of the site.

    >>> <FORM ACTION="mailto:" METHOD=POST name=forme
    >>> enctype="text/plain">

    >>mailto: is broken.

    > Thanks for answering. but...
    > I don't understant this sentence.

    action="mailto:... is broken. It does not work reliably. It may work
    sometimes but it does not work every time. Even if it does appear to work
    for your viewer it may not do what you think it does, as you have found. Not
    working 100% of the time is termed broken.

    >>Apart from your problem, what about somebody who uses, say, gmail, or
    >>somebody in a public library. In both cases there is no email client for
    >>mailto: to launch.

    > Correct !

    Ah, I'm glad you agree :)

    >>Use a server side process.

    > This is what i tried to convince the webmaster to do this way- but he
    > say: It works correctly for me and for another people, therefore you
    > must have a problem with your pc....grrr....

    So, politely ask said "webmaster", and I emphasise the quotation marks, to
    start his/her own thread here extoling the virtues of mailto:. Said
    webmaster will be soundly denounced. Just might be an educational experience
    for the "webmaster".

    > I remberred that i used in the past <FORM
    > ACTION="http://home.scarlet.be/cgi-bin/FormMail.pl" METHOD=POST>

    Yes, that is how it is done, but please to not use Matts formail stuff. It
    is riddled with security problems (that is it will be used to send spam from
    your server). Build your own server side process. It is only about twelve
    lines of PHP. Ask over at comp.lang.php or simply visit the PHP manual where
    an example is provided.

    > but .....the webmaster doenot like perl and is convinced that his
    > method should work for everybody...

    A webmaster who doesn't like Perl? That I can handle but the implication is
    that the webmaster does not like server side stuff. This is an oxymoron
    these days.

    Tell this so called webmaster that the *ONLY* reliable way, for every
    viewer, is to do this server side.

    > The question is : Why this construction works with this "another
    > people" and not with me ?

    Your browser is not connected correctly to your email client. The browser
    does not pass all the required info. The email client does not accept all
    the required info. Any number of things. This is why mailto: is broken. Just
    like it is broken for those gmail and library people.

    And remember, you will never get a complaint from those who fill in your
    "form" and get no response. They have already gone to your opposition.

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Feb 22, 2008
  5. Raymond SCHMIT

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Feb 22, 8:47 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    > "Raymond SCHMIT" <> wrote in message

    > > On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 23:44:59 GMT, "rf" <> wrote:

    > >>"Raymond SCHMIT" <> wrote in message

    > >>mailto: is broken.

    > > Thanks for answering. but...
    > > I don't understant this sentence.

    > action="mailto:... is broken. It does not work reliably. It may work
    > sometimes but it does not work every time. Even if it does appear to work
    > for your viewer it may not do what you think it does, as you have found. Not
    > working 100% of the time is termed broken.
    >
    > >>Apart from your problem, what about somebody who uses, say, gmail, or
    > >>somebody in a public library. In both cases there is no email client for
    > >>mailto: to launch.

    > > Correct !

    > Ah, I'm glad you agree :)
    >
    > >>Use a server side process.

    > > This is what i tried to convince the webmaster to do this way- but he
    > > say: It works correctly for me and for another people, therefore you
    > > must have a problem with your pc....grrr....

    > So, politely ask said "webmaster", and I emphasise the quotation marks, to
    > start his/her own thread here extoling the virtues of mailto:. Said
    > webmaster will be soundly denounced. Just might be an educational experience
    > for the "webmaster".
    >
    > > I remberred that i used in the past <FORM
    > > ACTION="http://home.scarlet.be/cgi-bin/FormMail.pl" METHOD=POST>

    > Yes, that is how it is done, but please to not use Matts formail stuff. It
    > is riddled with security problems (that is it will be used to send spam from
    > your server). Build your own server side process. It is only about twelve
    > lines of PHP. Ask over at comp.lang.php or simply visit the PHP manual where
    > an example is provided.
    >
    > > but .....the webmaster doenot like perl and is convinced that his
    > > method should work for everybody...

    > A webmaster who doesn't like Perl? That I can handle but the implication is
    > that the webmaster does not like server side stuff. This is an oxymoron
    > these days.
    >
    > Tell this so called webmaster that the *ONLY* reliable way, for every
    > viewer, is to do this server side.
    >
    > > The question is : Why this construction works with this "another
    > > people" and not with me ?

    > Your browser is not connected correctly to your email client. The browser
    > does not pass all the required info. The email client does not accept all
    > the required info. Any number of things. This is why mailto: is broken. Just
    > like it is broken for those gmail and library people.
    >
    > And remember, you will never get a complaint from those who fill in your
    > "form" and get no response. They have already gone to your opposition.

    Yeah, what he said +.
    If you are going to use a mailto link you should use a form to send a
    request with that same message (with some kind of server side script )
    as a back-up.

    Chaddy2222, Feb 22, 2008
  6. On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 07:53:19 -0800 (PST), Chaddy2222
    <> wrote:

    >On Feb 22, 8:47 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    >> "Raymond SCHMIT" <> wrote in message

    >> > Thanks for answering. but...
    >> > I don't understant this sentence.

    >> action="mailto:... is broken. It does not work reliably. It may work
    >> sometimes but it does not work every time. Even if it does appear to work
    >> for your viewer it may not do what you think it does, as you have found. Not
    >> working 100% of the time is termed broken.

    >> > Correct !

    >> Ah, I'm glad you agree :)

    >> > This is what i tried to convince the webmaster to do this way- but he
    >> > say: It works correctly for me and for another people, therefore you
    >> > must have a problem with your pc....grrr....

    >> So, politely ask said "webmaster", and I emphasise the quotation marks, to
    >> start his/her own thread here extoling the virtues of mailto:. Said
    >> webmaster will be soundly denounced. Just might be an educational experience
    >> for the "webmaster".
    >>
    >> > I remberred that i used in the past <FORM
    >> > ACTION="http://home.scarlet.be/cgi-bin/FormMail.pl" METHOD=POST>

    >> Yes, that is how it is done, but please to not use Matts formail stuff. It
    >> is riddled with security problems (that is it will be used to send spam from
    >> your server). Build your own server side process. It is only about twelve
    >> lines of PHP. Ask over at comp.lang.php or simply visit the PHP manual where
    >> an example is provided.
    >>
    >> > but .....the webmaster doenot like perl and is convinced that his
    >> > method should work for everybody...

    >> A webmaster who doesn't like Perl? That I can handle but the implication is
    >> that the webmaster does not like server side stuff. This is an oxymoron
    >> these days.
    >>
    >> Tell this so called webmaster that the *ONLY* reliable way, for every
    >> viewer, is to do this server side.
    >>
    >> > The question is : Why this construction works with this "another
    >> > people" and not with me ?

    >> Your browser is not connected correctly to your email client. The browser
    >> does not pass all the required info. The email client does not accept all
    >> the required info. Any number of things. This is why mailto: is broken. Just
    >> like it is broken for those gmail and library people.
    >>
    >> And remember, you will never get a complaint from those who fill in your
    >> "form" and get no response. They have already gone to your opposition.
    >>

    >Yeah, what he said +.
    >If you are going to use a mailto link you should use a form to send a
    >request with that same message (with some kind of server side script )
    >as a back-up.

    So the webmaster, if the mailto method is functioning, will receive
    two identical mails ?

    Raymond SCHMIT, Feb 22, 2008
  7. Raymond SCHMIT

    HughPugh Guest

    On Feb 22, 5:59 pm, (Raymond SCHMIT) wrote:
    > On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 07:53:19 -0800 (PST), Chaddy2222
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >On Feb 22, 8:47 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    > >> "Raymond SCHMIT" <> wrote in message

    > >> action="mailto:... is broken. It does not work reliably. It may work
    > >> sometimes but it does not work every time. Even if it does appear to work
    > >> for your viewer it may not do what you think it does, as you have found. Not
    > >> working 100% of the time is termed broken.

    > >> Ah, I'm glad you agree :)

    > >> So, politely ask said "webmaster", and I emphasise the quotation marks, to
    > >> start his/her own thread here extoling the virtues of mailto:. Said
    > >> webmaster will be soundly denounced. Just might be an educational experience
    > >> for the "webmaster".

    > >> Yes, that is how it is done, but please to not use Matts formail stuff. It
    > >> is riddled with security problems (that is it will be used to send spam from
    > >> your server). Build your own server side process. It is only about twelve
    > >> lines of PHP. Ask over at comp.lang.php or simply visit the PHP manual where
    > >> an example is provided.

    > >> A webmaster who doesn't like Perl? That I can handle but the implication is
    > >> that the webmaster does not like server side stuff. This is an oxymoron
    > >> these days.

    > >> Tell this so called webmaster that the *ONLY* reliable way, for every
    > >> viewer, is to do this server side.

    > >> Your browser is not connected correctly to your email client. The browser
    > >> does not pass all the required info. The email client does not accept all
    > >> the required info. Any number of things. This is why mailto: is broken. Just
    > >> like it is broken for those gmail and library people.

    > >> And remember, you will never get a complaint from those who fill in your
    > >> "form" and get no response. They have already gone to your opposition.

    > >Yeah, what he said +.
    > >If you are going to use a mailto link you should use a form to send a
    > >request with that same message (with some kind of server side script )
    > >as a back-up.

    > So the webmaster, if the mailto method is functioning, will receive
    > two identical mails ?

    To put it simply, do not use mailto as a form action. It will never
    work as expected. I don't think you are understanding what you are
    being told, so know that your 'webmaster' does not know what s/he is
    saying.

    HughPugh, Feb 23, 2008
  8. On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 20:35:01 -0800 (PST), HughPugh
    <> wrote:

    >On Feb 22, 5:59 pm, (Raymond SCHMIT) wrote:
    >> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 07:53:19 -0800 (PST), Chaddy2222
    >>

    >> <> wrote:

    >> >Yeah, what he said +.
    >> >If you are going to use a mailto link you should use a form to send a
    >> >request with that same message (with some kind of server side script )
    >> >as a back-up.

    >> So the webmaster, if the mailto method is functioning, will receive
    >> two identical mails ?

    >To put it simply, do not use mailto as a form action. It will never
    >work as expected. I don't think you are understanding what you are
    >being told, so know that your 'webmaster' does not know what s/he is
    >saying.

    I agree 200% with you, i am convinced that the "mailto" solution is
    *not* a solution. the only correct way using a form to sent a mail is
    to use a php or a perl routine to do it by the server. I have proposed
    at the webmaster that i will create for him(heu...pardon ....her :) )
    the needed php pages.... I am waiting their answer....
    If i have the job(no retribution :) ), i will probably asking help
    here to do it in "the best way"

    Raymond SCHMIT, Feb 23, 2008
  9. Raymond SCHMIT

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    (Raymond SCHMIT) wrote:

    > I agree 200% with you,

    and showed it by quoting everything at length...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Feb 23, 2008
  10. On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 09:20:37 +1100, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > (Raymond SCHMIT) wrote:
    >
    >> I agree 200% with you,

    >and showed it by quoting everything at length...

    Sorry, i had not realised :)

    Raymond SCHMIT, Feb 25, 2008