This is a basic overall question. Please note I am new

hkhellhkhell

This is a basic overall question. Please note I am new
to ASP!

I am currently running IIS 5/Access 2000/Windows 2000 and
have developed a web application.
From what I have been told, to really emulate a
master/detail form, the best way would be to use ASP.net
to do so.

1. is that true?
2. if so, does ASP.net run against Access or SQLServer?
3. what would I need to purchase to emulate this?

Thank you for your help.

Chow Wai

Flinky Wisty Pomm

This is a basic overall question. Please note I am new
to ASP!

Hi, Chow.
I am currently running IIS 5/Access 2000/Windows 2000 and
have developed a web application.

master/detail form, the best way would be to use ASP.net
to do so.

ASP.Net has some really nice features for beginners. If you have a copy
of Visual Web Developer Express
[http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vwd/] you can very quickly
put together a web app without any real need for custom programming.

Have a look at the samples here
[http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/stc0szde.asp]
1. is that true?

It's definitely a pretty good way, and if you're happy with the
defaults provided by Microsoft, you can do it really REALLY easily.
2. if so, does ASP.net run against Access or SQLServer?

Yes. And Oracle, and MySql, and flat text files if you're so inclined.
3. what would I need to purchase to emulate this?

Nothing! If you've already got Access, that will do nicely as a
database for playing around with. ASP.Net has classes for communicating
with Access out of the box, so you shouldn't have any problems.
Thank you for your help.

One thing, you mention that you've already developed a web
application... waht have you developed, what have you written it in,
and why are you considering ASP.Net to run just a small part of it? Or
have I misunderstood?

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

This is a basic overall question. Please note I am new
to ASP!

I am currently running IIS 5/Access 2000/Windows 2000 and
have developed a web application.

master/detail form, the best way would be to use ASP.net
to do so.

1. is that true?

It is easy with a GridView and DetailsView, so if easy is your criteria for
best, then I would say yes.
2. if so, does ASP.net run against Access or SQLServer?
Both.

3. what would I need to purchase to emulate this?

Visual Studio, but you can download the free versions to get started:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/default.aspx

Smokey Grindle

If you have .NET 2.0 (Visual Studio 2005) master forms are supported by
default on it and are basically effortless to implement... ASP.NET can run
against any OLEDB or ODBC database provider or SQL Server Client, as long as
you have the provider installed on the host system (OLEDB Drivers, or ODBC
drivers)