This is brilliant! Just look how long it is! Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by John Rivers, Aug 26, 2005.

  1. John Rivers

    John Rivers Guest

    http://www.15seconds.com/Issue/030812.htm?voteresult=1

    poor guy worked his heart out, just to make a page control

    and then they published it

    ha ha ha ha ha

    to "help" others

    ha ha ha ha ha ha

    just imagine the face of a newbie looking at that mountain of code

    apparently he researched how to do it in books

    my god i would love to watch this guy tie his shoelaces

    it must take hours and involve lots of complex mathematics

    ha ha ha ha

    maybe the poor guy's hourly rate is so low he has to overcomplicate
    everything just to pay the rent

    ha ha ha ha

    imagine him working through the night
    "i'll make the best page control, ever!"

    i've got it! he hates newbies ... so he publishes ridiculous
    articles to demoralise them and drain their energy

    doesn't tell them that a generic page control is just 10 lines
    of code that a monkey could write HE'S EVIL

    extract from his article:

    "Effectively showing code so it confuses newbies is a main objective
    in writing almost all my web articles. Showing 20 lines of code in an
    article is unbearable but showing 10,000 certainly can be helpful.
    Writing good code, is a commonly employed solution, that I do not
    recommend."

    John Rivers, Aug 26, 2005

  2. Can you post 10 sample lines of code to do this? Just wondering what it
    would look like from your vantage pt.

    Thanks!

    VB Programmer, Aug 26, 2005

  3. If it wasn't a good article it would not have made it onto 15seconds.
    Credit to Tomasz for giving something back to the community.

    Regards

    John Timney
    ASP.NET MVP
    Microsoft Regional Director

    John Timney \(ASP.NET MVP\), Aug 26, 2005
  4. John Rivers

    John Rivers Guest

    with pleasure,

    this is exactly ten lines of code (exluding the function declaration
    and html stuff)

    excuse the classicasp, i had it handy

    Function PageControl(PageNumber, PageCount)
    Const PropName = "PageNumber"
    %><table width="100%" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0"
    bgcolor="#EEEEEE">
    <!---->
    Dim URL
    URL = ThisPage & StripQueryString(Request.QueryString, PropName)
    If PageNumber > 1 Then
    %>[<a href="<%=HTML(URL & QPX(PropName, 1))%>">First</a>]
    [<a href="<%=HTML(URL & QPX(PropName, PageNumber - 1))%>">Prev</a>]<%
    Else
    %><span style="color:#CCCCCC">[First]
    [Prev]</span><%
    End If
    %>&nbsp;<%
    If PageNumber < PageCount Then
    %>[<a href="<%=HTML(URL & QPX(PropName, PageNumber + 1))%>">Next</a>]
    [<a href="<%=HTML(URL & QPX(PropName, PageCount))%>">Last</a>]<%
    Else
    %><span style="color:#CCCCCC">[Next]
    [Last]</span><%
    End If
    %></b></td>
    <!---->
    End Function

    (HTML is convenience function to save typing Server.HTMLEncode etc.)
    (QPX is shorthand for Server.URLEncode(name) & "+" &
    Server.URLEncode(value) & "&")
    (StripQueryString returns the given querystring minus the given
    parameter)

    and of course i would have done the paging logic in a stored procedure
    rather than repeatedly transferring piles of data about for no reason
    like that idiotic "datagrid" control does

    which i can show you here:

    CREATE proc spTestCursorPagination
    @start int
    , @size int
    as
    --
    declare CRS cursor scroll read_only for select recordid from junk
    (tablock) order by recordid
    declare @index int
    declare @recordid int
    --
    create table #temp (
    orderid int primary key identity
    , recordid int
    )
    set nocount on
    set @index = 0
    open CRS
    --
    while @index < @size
    begin
    if @index = 0
    fetch absolute @start from CRS into @recordid
    else
    fetch next from CRS into @recordid
    insert into #temp with (tablockx) (recordid) values (@recordid)
    set @index = @index + 1
    end
    --
    close CRS
    deallocate CRS

    and i didn't need to read a book to do that
    i just used my brain and 20 minutes

    plus if you test my solution on a db of 10,000,000
    records it will run faster than his junk with 10,000
    records and use much less ram and cpu and network resources

    www.15seconds.com is useful but most of the articles are total tripe

    welcome to the layer cake son

    John Rivers, Aug 27, 2005
  5. re:
    > "Effectively showing code so it confuses newbies is a main objective
    > in writing almost all my web articles. Showing 20 lines of code in an
    > article is unbearable but showing 10,000 certainly can be helpful.

    Actual text in the article :
    "Effectively showing data so it doesn't confuse the end user is a main
    objective in developing almost all Web data presentation applications.
    Showing 20 records on one page is bearable but showing 10,000
    certainly can be confusing."

    re:
    > Writing good code, is a commonly employed solution, that I do not
    > recommend."

    Actual text in the article :
    "Splitting the data across several pages, or paging the data,
    is a commonly employed solution to this problem."

    It's simply amazing that you would stoop this low, troll!
    Go be a jerk somewhere else.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, Aug 27, 2005
  6. You should submit that "improvement" to 15Seconds.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, Aug 27, 2005
  7. John Rivers

    John Rivers Guest

    I was being mean, his intentions were good, but that article should
    never have been published.

    And credit to me then for just showing the community a lean and high
    performance approach!

    You wouldn't happen to know who at Microsoft was responsible for
    designing
    ASPX, UserControls, HtmlControls, CustomControls and viewstate would
    you?

    I am sure it wasn't the same people who designed the other parts of
    ASP.NET.

    John Rivers, Aug 27, 2005
  8. Hey, John, do you think that the code you posted
    meets the requirements for the posted code in the article ?

    1. First, Previous, Next, Last and paging buttons

    2. Be sensitive to the data. If the pager is set to show 10 records
    per page and only nine are shown, then the pager shouldn't be visible.
    On the first page the Previous and First buttons shouldn't be shown.
    On the last page the Next and the Last methods shouldn't be shown.

    3. Independent of the control that's in charge of the presentation

    4. The ability to handle a variety of current and future data sources

    5. Easily configurable presentation to integrate with custom applications

    6. Notify other controls when paging is taking place

    7. Easy to use even by inexperienced Web designers

    8. Provide properties to relevant paging data

    The code you posted doesn't even come *close* to doing that.
    Go be a jerk somewhere else.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, Aug 27, 2005
  9. John Rivers

    Bruce Barker Guest

    well the article covered paging with a grid, asp.net events, the standard
    process controller pattern, and is plugable into a generic application.

    not a bad exercise.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Aug 27, 2005
  10. John Rivers

    Bruce Barker Guest

    you don't solve the same problem. your code is not a generic plugin to be
    used on any page. your html may be generic, but the driving code isn't, nor
    was it included. in you model every page must implement the paging code.

    also you demo rather bad sql. (using a server curor and a table lock - no
    scaling this puppy). also to get the total page count, another query is
    required.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Aug 27, 2005
  11. John Rivers

    John Rivers Guest

    Juan your replies are weak

    Juan T. Llibre wrote:
    > Hey, John, do you think that the code you posted
    > meets the requirements for the posted code in the article ?
    >
    > 1. First, Previous, Next, Last and paging buttons

    oh yes mine doesn't have paging
    buttons, thats an extra 3 lines then ...

    > 2. Be sensitive to the data. If the pager is set to show 10 records
    > per page and only nine are shown, then the pager shouldn't be visible.
    > On the first page the Previous and First buttons shouldn't be shown.
    > On the last page the Next and the Last methods shouldn't be shown.

    read my code
    it does this - it greys out the controls
    it is bad ui design to have page elements appearing and disappearing

    > 3. Independent of the control that's in charge of the presentation

    crumbs mine is one method in an include file
    that doesn't even know what the datasource is
    you don't get much more independent than that

    > 4. The ability to handle a variety of current and future data sources

    mine can handle any datasource
    as it doesn't try and overencapsulate like his junk

    > 5. Easily configurable presentation to integrate with custom applications

    just edit the little html fragments

    > 6. Notify other controls when paging is taking place

    at client: just add some javascript
    at server: hell the url says "PageNumber=6"
    and the referer says "PageNumber=5"
    what more do you need???

    > 7. Easy to use even by inexperienced Web designers

    don't try and tell me his is easier to use than mine????

    > 8. Provide properties to relevant paging data

    don't understand this

    > The code you posted doesn't even come *close* to doing that.
    > Go be a jerk somewhere else.

    no - you are the jerk for being so wrong

    John Rivers, Aug 27, 2005
  12. Your reply is composed of :

    "Oh, yeah, add this or add that" and "don't understand this".

    You made my case better than I did.

    Go ahead and submit your "improvements" to 15Seconds, OK ?
    And let us know when the article is published.

    Bye!

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, Aug 27, 2005
  13. John Rivers

    John Rivers Guest

    So your final position on this
    is that article shows a reasonable
    way to implement a paging control?

    In which I case I recommend you live
    by your words and use his "technique"

    At least I have the courage to show my
    technique, let's all have a look at yours ...

    Show us all your paging control code.

    John Rivers, Aug 27, 2005
  14. John Rivers

    John Rivers Guest

    oh yes,

    furthermore my approach also supports
    ragged paging which you need when
    displaying datasheets with grouping
    headers

    whereas his is hardcoded to a static
    pagesize

    looking forward to seeing your work, juan *-)

    John Rivers, Aug 27, 2005
  15. John,

    I hope you realize that you are alone in your opinions, especially those of
    your own skill/intellgence. It pains me to see you making a public fool of
    yourself in this way. I really feel for you, as when you plan to make a
    living doing programming, it will be nearly impossible as long as these
    public remarks continue to float around the Internet. You will be older and
    wiser, but your reputation will precede you everywhere you go. It is not
    possible to remove published messages from the Internet. Your only hope will
    be to outlast them.

    So, if you are truly desirous of becoming a professional developer, PLEASE
    do yourself a favor and stop publishing your foolish opinions now. In
    another 5 years they will have faded into obscurity, and perhaps you will be
    more knowledgeable and hirable.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    Paranoia is just a state of mind.

    Kevin Spencer, Aug 29, 2005
  16. John Rivers

    John Rivers Guest

    Thankyou for your concern,

    But I have been programming for 24 years,
    I have been a professional system architect
    for 10 years, run a computer science research
    department at a top university and built, run
    and sold 3 .coms.

    Why am I wasting time arguing on this newsgroup?

    There is a real reason, I am trying to determine
    whether microsoft's latest approach to dumbing down
    the development process can work, is it possible
    to use almost anybody to write enterprise class code?

    As opposed to expensive skilled professionals who know
    what they are doing.

    What is happening in VS.NET is very interesting,
    there is a feedback loop whereby the ignorance of today's
    average web developer feedsback in to the architecture, ensuring
    they stay in their "comfort zone".

    It is all about understanding what you guys are capable of
    handling conceptually and making sure not to exceed that.

    Then providing infrastructure solutions to solve the problems
    that the inefficient code that results causes.

    Its the classic monkeys and typewriter idea made real.

    BTW
    Just because lots of stupid people agree with each
    other doesn't mean they're right.

    If I were you kevin i'd start learning to think for yourself, not
    just running with the herd like a silly cow.

    And Juan, where is your paging control code?????
    "Classes and methods may prove me wrong but killfiles will never hurt
    me"
    If you do a good job I will admit it publicly, and even apologise.
    Come on, beat me!

    John Rivers, Aug 29, 2005
  17. > But I have been programming for 24 years,
    > I have been a professional system architect
    > for 10 years, run a computer science research
    > department at a top university and built, run
    > and sold 3 .coms.

    Sorry John, but I'm just not buying it. Anyone can say anythiing they like.
    It doesn't make it true. How about telling us WHERE you have been a
    "professional system architect" (company name, web address, etc)? WHAT "top
    university" have you "run a computer scientce research department" at
    (University name, web address, etc)?

    Your speech syntax, grammar, and egocentrism puts you at somewhere between
    the ages of 15 and 25 (I would guess closer to 15). The fact that you are
    non-specific about your qualifications implies that you have something to
    hide. And your ignorance of object-oriented programming technology indicates
    that yoou know almost nothing about real-world object-oriented programming.

    Finally, only a teenager (or someone with a pathological case of arrested
    development) would be so foolish as to jeopardize their professional future
    with such a proliferation of ignorant and insulting postings on a
    widely-read public newsgroup, as teenagers don't understand that they will
    have to live in the future with the consequences of their present actions.
    Teenagers have parents to take care of them, and don't realize that at some
    point they will have to do all the work for themselves and for their own
    children, including paying bills, and raising a family. Teenagers don't
    realize that eventually your parents die, and you have nobody to fall back
    on but yourself.

    You have demonstrated precisely none of the behavioral and/or linguistic
    characteristics of an adult, much less a professional adult, much less a
    science professor. And with no other evidence to rely on, I find you guilty
    of lying.

    By doing so, you are only hurting yourself, the future you, the only you
    that you will ever become. And this grieves me, because I was once as young
    and stupid as you are. I wish I had listened when I should have. It took a
    lot of years to dig my way back out.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer