"This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt." Error. Any clues?

darrel

We're getting this error on a page that uses a particular User Control we
created:

"An Error has Occured retrieving the news item.
Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication
that other memory is corrupt."

Googling this seems to turn up a random assortment of potential causes.

What is odd is that in our situation, I can compile it on my machine and it
runs fine, no error. Same with a co-workers machine. Place the files on our
staging server, still no error. Put it on our live server, THEN we get the
error.

The main difference is that our live server is pointing at a different MSSQL
DB than our internal machiness. Which leads me to believe that it's a DB
issue of some sort, but I haven't found a DB-related answer pertaining to
the error via google yet. Anyone know of a familar DB issue that might be
related to this that I should look into?

-Darrel

darrel

Also...the page and usercontrol seem to load and function completely
regardless of the error showing up. So, for now, we're just suppressing the
error, but we'd like a more formal solution if one exists. ;o)

-Darrel

darrel

how does the user control interact with the db?

It does an OLEDB query to the SQL server to get the data then binds it to a
repeater control.

-Darrel

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

can you reproduce this error with a sample program? If you can't, I would
suggest you take a closer look at the provider, see if there is an updated
version available.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney

darrel

can you reproduce this error with a sample program? If you can't, I would
suggest you take a closer look at the provider, see if there is an updated
version available.

OK.

What's odd, though, is that this application works find on 3 machines, but
gives the error on a 4th. So, I'm guessing it's not the provider as much as
the specific database this 4th app server is pointing at.

-Darrel