This is REALLY weird

Discussion in 'HTML' started by thedarkman, May 19, 2012.

  1. thedarkman

    thedarkman Guest

    Have a look at the code for this file

    http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/lying_lisa_taylor.html

    when I wrote it, it was all right, but when I put in the DocType it
    went real strange. Actually, I'm not sure the DocType is to blame
    because when I restored from a backup, the same thing happened
    without it.

    In the source, the words are all scrunched up together, yet they
    display all right. Does anyone know why?

    Incidentally, the lying little slut to whom this document is
    addressed, is a murderess. She and her sister stabbed a young woman to
    death because her sister was infatuated with the victim's husband.
    They had their convictions quashed on a technicality, but the Court of
    Appeal decided not to order a retrial. Later, the truth came out, but
    by then it was too late.
    thedarkman, May 19, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. thedarkman

    idle Guest

    On Sat, 19 May 2012 06:53:13 -0700 (PDT), thedarkman wrote in alt.html:

    > Have a look at the code for this file
    >
    > http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/lying_lisa_taylor.html


    No

    > when I wrote it, it was all right, but when I put in the DocType it
    > went real strange. Actually, I'm not sure the DocType is to blame
    > because when I restored from a backup, the same thing happened
    > without it.


    That's cuz you don't know what doctype to add.
    Right.


    > In the source, the words are all scrunched up together, yet they
    > display all right. Does anyone know why?


    Ok. I looked and it's not all "scrunced up".


    > Incidentally, the lying little slut to whom this document is
    > addressed, is a murderess. She and her sister stabbed a young woman to
    > death because her sister was infatuated with the victim's husband.
    > They had their convictions quashed on a technicality, but the Court of
    > Appeal decided not to order a retrial. Later, the truth came out, but
    > by then it was too late.


    Who gives a shit?
    I mean, really.
    Go back to school.

    --
    idle
    martinis... they're not just for breakfast anymore
    idle, May 19, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. thedarkman wrote:

    > Have a look at the code for this file
    >
    > http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/snip.html


    You will never learn, so why do you ask?

    <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http:/%
    2Fwww.infotextmanuscripts.org%2Flying_lisa_taylor.html>

    "Errors found while checking this document as HTML 4.01 Transitional!
    Result: 86 Errors, 3 warning(s)"

    > when I wrote it, it was all right,


    No, it wasn't. And it is as ugly as all the rest of your pages. Just
    looking for hits, aren't you?

    > but when I put in the DocType it went real strange.


    You need a new hobby. Maybe gardening...

    --
    -bts
    -This space for rent, but the price is high
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 19, 2012
    #3
  4. thedarkman

    thedarkman Guest

    When I wrote the code, it was a normal file, but the text scrambled
    all by itself, some of the words ran together, but they still real
    properly. If you don't know what is going on, be man enough to admit
    it.

    > > when I wrote it, it was all right,

    >
    > No, it wasn't. And it is as ugly as all the rest of your pages. Just
    > looking for hits, aren't you?
    >
    > > but when I put in the DocType it went real strange.

    >
    > You need a new hobby. Maybe gardening...
    >
    > --
    >    -bts
    >    -This space for rent, but the price is high
    thedarkman, May 19, 2012
    #4
  5. thedarkman wrote:
    > When I wrote the code, it was a normal file, but the text scrambled
    > all by itself, some of the words ran together, but they still real
    > properly. If you don't know what is going on, be man enough to admit
    > it.


    No amount of "manliness" can seem to convey to you that the problem is
    you are in no way composing remotely valid HTML... Maybe like that
    monkey given an infinite amount of time that you surely will get it
    right one of these days, but none of us can help you because you refuse
    to follow any advice.


    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, May 19, 2012
    #5
  6. thedarkman top-posted the following:

    > When I wrote the code, it was a normal file, but the text scrambled all
    > by itself, some of the words ran together, but they still real properly.
    > If you don't know what is going on, be man enough to admit it.


    When you wrote the code, it was filled with errors. I have seen a lot of
    your pages (you post frequently for advice you never take) and there has
    never been a single one of them that came close to valid code. "Code"
    does not scramble itself; it needs the help of the operator.

    You cannot blame your miserable code on some tool. It's you.

    Be man enough to admit you don't know how to compose worthwhile HTML.


    [attributes were stripped:]
    >
    >> > when I wrote it, it was all right,

    >>
    >> No, it wasn't. And it is as ugly as all the rest of your pages. Just
    >> looking for hits, aren't you?
    >>
    >> > but when I put in the DocType it went real strange.

    >>
    >> You need a new hobby. Maybe gardening...


    --
    -bts
    -This space for rent, but the price is high
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 19, 2012
    #6
  7. On Sat, 19 May 2012 06:53:13 -0700, thedarkman wrote:

    > Have a look at the code for this file


    No thanks. I know already what I'll find. There will be some or all of:

    overlapping elements
    inline elements enclosing block elements
    unclosed elements
    a crass attempt to "make it right" by applying a doctype that does not
    match the markup, because the markup is not compliant with any known
    doctype

    All of these have been wrong since I first started writing html in 1994.
    They have, as far as I can tell, been wrong for as long as html has
    existed, even though you repeatedly claim that "they used to be ok".
    Everything that was correctly written to comply with old html
    specifications still works perfectly, it is only pages that have never,
    ever been compliant that cause the problems that you experience. Your
    pages have never been correct html, and your inability to write correct
    html is the only reason that your pages have rendering issues.

    > http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/lying_lisa_taylor.html


    > when I wrote it, it was all right


    It wasn't, because you have never understood how to write html that
    complies with basic guidelines.

    When web browsers interpret such badly broken markup as you generate as a
    deliberate attempt to exploit memory allocation errors and stop trying to
    display such pages, it will be a great step forwards for all of us, as
    you will then be forced to write html that complies with the standards
    and guidelines if you want anyone to be able to read your content.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon
    Denis McMahon, May 20, 2012
    #7
  8. thedarkman

    thedarkman Guest


    > When web browsers interpret such badly broken markup as you generate as a
    > deliberate attempt to exploit memory allocation errors and stop trying to
    > display such pages, it will be a great step forwards for all of us, as
    > you will then be forced to write html that complies with the standards
    > and guidelines if you want anyone to be able to read your content.
    >
    > Rgds
    >
    > Denis McMahon


    I've recoded the page; still get the same number of errors but it
    looks okay from here.

    Thanks for nothing.
    thedarkman, May 20, 2012
    #8
  9. thedarkman wrote:
    >
    >> When web browsers interpret such badly broken markup as you generate as a
    >> deliberate attempt to exploit memory allocation errors and stop trying to
    >> display such pages, it will be a great step forwards for all of us, as
    >> you will then be forced to write html that complies with the standards
    >> and guidelines if you want anyone to be able to read your content.
    >>
    >> Rgds
    >>
    >> Denis McMahon

    >
    > I've recoded the page; still get the same number of errors


    The you are still making the same mistakes. At least your consistent.

    > but it looks okay from here.
    >
    > Thanks for nothing.


    Which means you have also learned nothing. What a surprise.


    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, May 21, 2012
    #9
  10. On Sun, 20 May 2012 12:10:36 -0700, thedarkman wrote:

    >> When web browsers interpret such badly broken markup as you generate as
    >> a deliberate attempt to exploit memory allocation errors and stop
    >> trying to display such pages, it will be a great step forwards for all
    >> of us, as you will then be forced to write html that complies with the
    >> standards and guidelines if you want anyone to be able to read your
    >> content.


    > I've recoded the page; still get the same number of errors but it looks
    > okay from here.
    >
    > Thanks for nothing.


    I just ran the page (which you've recoded) through the validator, and
    you're using the same broken markup as you have been for years.

    "Looking ok" does not mean "is valid markup". "Looking ok" just means
    that your current browser interprets the current iteration of the broken
    markup in the way you want the page displayed. It does not guarantee that
    any future browser will do so.

    I don't think that, whatever you believe, you have ever written valid
    html, because code that you claim is valid according to the "old
    standards" is not and never was actually valid by those standards.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon
    Denis McMahon, May 21, 2012
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Amir
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    585
  2. nc
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    485
    nice.guy.nige
    Feb 3, 2005
  3. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    327
  4. Jeannie
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    873
    Jeannie
    Aug 30, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TFc=?=
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    400
    =?Utf-8?B?TFc=?=
    Apr 25, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page