This is the end

slebetman

Richard said:
clayne said:

Sure it is. [Actually clayne didn't say that, but bear with me here. You'll
soon work it out, I think.] Are you not flexible enough to cope with text
that is the other way around to the way you usually see it? Don't you think
you have a duty to put up with it because I happen to like doing it that
way? Or would it make more sense for me to make my text easier to read if I
wish to communicate effectively with people rather than jar them off all
the time?
Yea, now c'mon. This isn't even a reasonable comparison.

No, it's not the same at all. One reply is in the right place, the place
that makes it easy to follow the discussion - and the other one isn't.
Look, whether
someone replies on top or on bottom, it's the SAME thing.

<snipped a whole bunch of top posted answers>

I don't know. I never heard of anyone by that name. <shrug> For your
information, though, Stefan Wilms was the founder of the campaign against
excessive grumpiness in comp.lang.c.
But probably not with Dick Heathfield, right?

That was exhausting and confusing. I hope I never have to write another
reply like it.

:-D this is funny. Excellent example of the evils of top posting.
Recently there was the small debate between Steve Jobs and Nitesh
Dhanjani about garbage collection and objective-C which I thought was
another fine (bad?) example of top posting. By the time you finish
reading the email exchange you realise that the whole conversation is
in reverse and have to re-order the debate in your head. The email
exchanges "start" with:

I look forward to the improvements! Thanks

and "end" with:

Will it ever be easy to write native OSX GUI apps? Objective C sucks.

the emails have since been deleted from Nitesh's site but it lives on
(for now) on slashdot:

http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/12/26/1322223&from=rss

Kenny McCormack

clayne said:
Almost every single person who replied to the guy was basically a jerk
to him. Even after he was being fairly understanding and recognizing. I
find it funny that people will spend more time authorizing dick replies
than just NOT replying at all to someone who is definitely posting in
the wrong NG.

Totally agree. I have often thought (and sometimes posted to the effect)
that if the "regulars" were serious about wanting the ng to stay on topic,
they would just ignore the OT stuff. As they say, "don't feed the trolls".
If they just silently ignored the nonsense (posted by "dorky 3rd
worlders"), it would just go away.

But then, there'd be nothing left to do here.

P.S. You're dead-on about the AS stuff. I'll probably post more on this

Alastair

Totally agree. I have often thought (and sometimes posted to the effect)
that if the "regulars" were serious about wanting the ng to stay on topic,
they would just ignore the OT stuff. As they say, "don't feed the trolls".
If they just silently ignored the nonsense (posted by "dorky 3rd
worlders"), it would just go away.

But then, there'd be nothing left to do here.

P.S. You're dead-on about the AS stuff. I'll probably post more on this

Hey - thanks guys!

That was my thread earlier - I couldn't believe the replies I was
getting - becuase the first thing I said was that I was new! (meaning -
go easy on me!).

Glad to know some people care!

Alastair

Kenny McCormack

clayne said:

Sure it is. [Actually clayne didn't say that, but bear with me here. You'll
soon work it out, I think.] Are you not flexible enough to cope with text
that is the other way around to the way you usually see it? Don't you think
you have a duty to put up with it because I happen to like doing it that
way? Or would it make more sense for me to make my text easier to read if I
wish to communicate effectively with people rather than jar them off all
the time?

You misspelled: I was wrong and I am sorry.

(Happens a lot on the Usenet)

Keith Thompson

P.S. You're dead-on about the AS stuff. I'll probably post more on this

Kenny, even you can't possibly believe that Asperger's Syndrome is
topical in comp.lang.c. I just might have to start using a killfile
after all.

Kenny McCormack

(e-mail address removed) (Kenny McCormack) writes:
[snip]
P.S. You're dead-on about the AS stuff. I'll probably post more on this

Kenny, even you can't possibly believe that Asperger's Syndrome is
topical in comp.lang.c.

Of course it is. If it explains the "culture" here (*), then discussion of
it would be very beneficial to all.

(*) And, yes, I do believe it does. You are free to disagree, of course,
but your doing so won't make any difference to me.

Mark McIntyre

whether someone replies on top or on bottom, it's the SAME thing.

Counter example:

-Would you like me to hit you with a hammer?
- yes.
- Do you like Chocolate?
- No.
- Is battery acid good for you?
- yes
- is your pseudonym clayne?
I regularly clip

You may do, but most top-posters do not, simply because there's no
incentive.
..
the long history of people's email at work when some
Outlook user decides to quote the entire message, followed by everyone
else doing it. It makes no difference on the actual content I'm
quoting, however.

An office environment is extremely different. I suspect that in your
office you don't get 1000 emails a day, on 300 radically different
subjects, with replies to each of your mails coming separately from a
dozen people over a period of days.

And for what its worth, I frequently find myself in the office
searching my sent mail and folders for previous messages in a thread,
because some nit has snipped too much context out and a comment made
by someone is now hard to decipher.
Once again though, we're back to that Asperger's Syndrome

Childish insults won't get you anywhere. And Aspergers is no laughing
matter.
Mark McIntyre

Richard Heathfield

Kenny McCormack said:
You misspelled:

No, I didn't. I never, ever do that. On very, very rare occasions, I hit a
wrong key, but that's a typographical error, not a misspelling.
I was wrong and I am sorry.

Your retraction and apology are accepted. The matter is now closed.

Joe Estock

Keith said:
Kenny, even you can't possibly believe that Asperger's Syndrome is
topical in comp.lang.c. I just might have to start using a killfile
after all.

Keith I envy you. For some reason Mozilla Thunderbird does not properly
obey a killfile (which is not really a killfile - more like a graphical
interface where you can add an email address and supposedly block
someone). You may be able to ignore the troll, I on the other hand am
forced to view his nonsense. Such a waste of space should be a criminal
offense.

Joe

Chuck F.

Joe said:
Keith said:
(e-mail address removed) (Kenny McCormack) writes:
> [snip]
Kenny, even you can't possibly believe that Asperger's
Syndrome is topical in comp.lang.c. I just might have to
start using a killfile after all.

Keith I envy you. For some reason Mozilla Thunderbird does not
properly obey a killfile (which is not really a killfile - more
like a graphical interface where you can add an email address
and supposedly block someone). You may be able to ignore the
troll, I on the other hand am forced to view his nonsense. Such
a waste of space should be a criminal offense.

Tell the filter to mark him 'read'. Then it won't be selected when
you advance with the spacebar or the n key. Unfortunately Tbird
won't forgo downloading him in the offline mode, as Netscape 4.5
would, but Tbird is better at compacting.