This is what I meant about highlighting a section of a large map...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Guy Doucet, Jun 2, 2005.

  1. Guy Doucet

    Guy Doucet Guest

    This is just an example of the real site I'm working on, but this example
    works the same way.

    http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/gljsd/map/index.htm

    In this example site, index.htm represents one of several pages from the
    real site. From it, you can click the map button which will display the
    entire map and highlight the specific section on the map. The map is in
    map.htm, it's only 500 x 500 pixels.

    The real map is almost 2000x2000 pixels, but it's on our LAN so it takes no
    time to load. Also, the computer screens are set to 1024x768 pixels, so I
    can't display the entire map. Instead, I load the map in a scrollable div.
    When highlighting a section of the map, I also have to ensure the div is
    scrolled correctly so that the section is visible. In my case, I just try to
    center everything.

    Once the map is highlighted, you can click on the map to toggle the
    highlight on and off.

    I copied a lot from the Internet but I don't understand all the code.

    I understand html tags and javascript 1.2, but have no clue what the
    following is:

    var map=document.getElementById("map");
    map.appendChild(me);

    Is this the latest type of javascript, or is this part of html or what???

    Thanks for any information and / or suggestions,

    G. Doucet

    Guy Doucet, Jun 2, 2005

  2. Guy Doucet

    dorayme Guest

    Re: This is what I meant about highlighting a section of a largemap...

    > From: "Guy Doucet" <>

    > This is just an example of the real site I'm working on, but this example
    > works the same way.
    >
    > http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/gljsd/map/index.htm

    Excuse me for not dealing with this particular url (it is too crazy for
    words on my browsers. A pop up window opens - for some unknown reason - that
    is way too small and to make matters truly worse (and here is the real
    craziness), it itself has a further sub window within it that has scollbars.
    Surely this cannot be any kind of useful lead to any problem anyone has?).

    I wonder again about your original query: how many links are there in fact
    in the list that can be chosen by users? You have 50 "red squares"
    representing offices. You have 100 cells representing each 1/100th of the
    map. (See your original post). Why these relative figures for a start? Are
    50 of the squares not to be highlighted because not containing offices? If
    so, why have so many cells? OK, there may be reasons...

    If the list is just to 50, 50 html pages each with a cell different is not
    that bad (They are all nearly the very same following the scheme I suggested
    earlier. It is rock solid for all browsers. No rollovers, no javascript, no
    hanky panky like in this url.)

    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 2, 2005

  3. Guy Doucet

    Guy Doucet Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > > From: "Guy Doucet" <>

    > > This is just an example of the real site I'm working on, but this

    example
    > > works the same way.
    > >
    > > http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/gljsd/map/index.htm

    > Excuse me for not dealing with this particular url (it is too crazy for
    > words on my browsers. A pop up window opens - for some unknown reason -

    that
    > is way too small and to make matters truly worse (and here is the real
    > craziness), it itself has a further sub window within it that has

    scollbars.
    > Surely this cannot be any kind of useful lead to any problem anyone has?).

    This is just an example of how it works. In this example, I made the popup
    window bigger than the sub window making it easier for you -maybe- to access
    the source code. With IE you right click on the page and click View Source.
    But since the sub window is an image, when you right click on it you would
    not get the option to View Source.

    In the real site, the popup window and the sub window are the same size. The
    map is approx 2000x2000 pixels, and the window is 650 x 1000 pixels which
    fits on our monitors which are set to 1024 x 768 pixels. So it's not really
    a small window.

    I the example, I made the map and the window smaller to save bandwidth.

    > I wonder again about your original query: how many links are there in fact
    > in the list that can be chosen by users? You have 50 "red squares"
    > representing offices. You have 100 cells representing each 1/100th of the
    > map. (See your original post). Why these relative figures for a start? Are
    > 50 of the squares not to be highlighted because not containing offices? If
    > so, why have so many cells? OK, there may be reasons...

    I haben't finished yet. To be honest, I haven't counted all the offices yet
    either. There are probably between 50 and 100. They will all be included.

    > If the list is just to 50, 50 html pages each with a cell different is not
    > that bad (They are all nearly the very same following the scheme I

    suggested
    > earlier. It is rock solid for all browsers. No rollovers, no javascript,

    no
    > hanky panky like in this url.)

    I will re-examine your earlier post.

    Guy Doucet, Jun 2, 2005
  4. Guy Doucet

    the idiot Guest

    "Guy Doucet" <> wrote in message

    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > > > From: "Guy Doucet" <>

    > > > This is just an example of the real site I'm working on, but this

    > example
    > > > works the same way.
    > > >
    > > > http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/gljsd/map/index.htm

    > > Excuse me for not dealing with this particular url (it is too crazy for
    > > words on my browsers. A pop up window opens - for some unknown reason -

    > that
    > > is way too small and to make matters truly worse (and here is the real
    > > craziness), it itself has a further sub window within it that has

    > scollbars.
    > > Surely this cannot be any kind of useful lead to any problem anyone

    has?).

    > This is just an example of how it works. In this example, I made the popup
    > window bigger than the sub window making it easier for you -maybe- to

    access
    > the source code. With IE you right click on the page and click View

    Source.
    > But since the sub window is an image, when you right click on it you would
    > not get the option to View Source.
    >
    > In the real site, the popup window and the sub window are the same size.

    The
    > map is approx 2000x2000 pixels, and the window is 650 x 1000 pixels which
    > fits on our monitors which are set to 1024 x 768 pixels. So it's not

    really
    > a small window.
    >
    > I the example, I made the map and the window smaller to save bandwidth.

    why does it have to be a pop up?

    the idiot, Jun 2, 2005
  5. Guy Doucet

    dorayme Guest

    Re: This is what I meant about highlighting a section of alargemap...

    > From: "Guy Doucet" <>

    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    >>> From: "Guy Doucet" <>

    >>> This is just an example of the real site I'm working on, but this

    > example
    >>> works the same way.
    >>>
    >>> http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/gljsd/map/index.htm

    >> Excuse me for not dealing with this particular url (it is too crazy for
    >> words on my browsers...

    > This is just an example of how it works. In this example, I made the popup
    > window bigger than the sub window making it easier ... to View Source.

    This never occurred to me as your motive. I mostly key command source code
    anyway...and I bet not much would stop others on this newsgroup ferreting
    your code out. At least make the real thing user sizeable unlike in your
    example, scroll bars are not enough.

    > map is approx 2000x2000 pixels, and the window is 650 x 1000 pixels which
    > fits on our monitors which are set to 1024 x 768 pixels. So it's not really
    > a small window.

    Not sure why these figures? Are the monitors portrait? Anyway, you need to
    think about this business of the pop up. The pop up is ideal for situations
    where you have a small amount of info, especially pictorial, that can be
    referred to without losing one's place on the main site. To squeeze a 2000 x
    2000 in it with scroll bars defeats the purpose somewhat. And how would you
    have the relevant bit of the map showing at first? People would have to
    scroll away till they saw something bright and backlit and all singing and
    dancing. Nah...

    Guy, I would not do this. I would either make the pop up with just a fixed
    pic showing the office concerned and a bit of the surrounding context. Yes,
    you have to prepare 50 or more pics. So work! Where are you? Here in Sydney
    it is very hard because the beach beckons but maybe you are in some place
    where it is better to be distracted by image editing (eg in some nervous
    making earthquake prone place)

    > I will re-examine your earlier post.

    I am not sure why you splice the map into table cells. One possible reason
    was that someone might look at one office, and then want to look at another
    - in which case all the cells that are common to the two maps will load
    instantly (because of the caching of many of the sub-images). But since you
    said speed is no issue, it is in an office somewhere, in-house, what is the
    point of table cells?

    Look, why not keep it simple, honestly. Assume folk know their city and
    prepare just small local maps for the offices (with a link to the big one
    for those who might want to see the whole - no highlights) If you have the
    pop up, you will need javascript I think. You can just use target _Blank in
    the html instead. Or nothing. Just simple link to the relevant bit of the
    map and they use their back buttons...

    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 2, 2005
  6. Guy Doucet

    Guy Doucet Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > was that someone might look at one office, and then want to look at

    another
    > - in which case all the cells that are common to the two maps will load
    > instantly (because of the caching of many of the sub-images). But since

    you
    > said speed is no issue, it is in an office somewhere, in-house, what is

    the
    > point of table cells?
    >
    > Look, why not keep it simple, honestly. Assume folk know their city and
    > prepare just small local maps for the offices (with a link to the big one
    > for those who might want to see the whole - no highlights) If you have the
    > pop up, you will need javascript I think. You can just use target _Blank

    in
    > the html instead. Or nothing. Just simple link to the relevant bit of the

    I know it's difficult to understand what I am trying to do. I also know
    that I am by no means a pro at this, it's not even part of my job, I am just
    trying to set up an internal web site that would help new employees. Thanks
    for your patience.

    I'm on the Atlantic coast of Canada. The months of April and May have been
    cold and very wet. Looks like June will be much better - the last few days
    were nice and warm, 25 - 30 degree temperatures - Celcius that is!

    As for the map, I originally thought that I had to divide it into smaller
    grids, but now realise that I don't need to.

    As far as the popup window, I would actually prefer that it was ~not~ a
    popup. But how can I link to another webpage with a parameter, and how does
    the linked html file retrieve that parameter?

    Here is another way to explain what I have. I actually have 3 things:
    - One HTML file containing the list of the approximnately 50 offices
    - An HTML file for each office, displaying a picture and description of that
    office
    - One HTML file showing the map of all the office locations.

    The first thing to appear is the list of offices by names. When the employee
    clicks on an office from the list, it links them to the html file displaying
    its picture and description. If the employee wants, there is also a map
    button they can click on which will show the entire map with this office
    location highlighted - (like you suggest, I would prefer this not to be a
    popup). If it wasn't a popup, they could then either click back to return
    to the office picture, and back again to the original list, or if they
    prefer, they could click on another office on the map which would take them
    to the html file displaying ~its~ picture and description. So basically,
    they could move around from the list, the office picture/description, and
    the map.

    Thanks again for your patience and all...
    Guy

    Guy Doucet, Jun 3, 2005
  7. Guy Doucet

    dorayme Guest

    Re: This is what I meant about highlighting a section ofalargemap...

    > From: "Guy Doucet" <>

    > As far as the popup window, I would actually prefer that it was ~not~ a
    > popup. But how can I link to another webpage with a parameter, and how does
    > the linked html file retrieve that parameter?

    OK, no pop up. It may be that there is no need to "retrieve" anything.
    Parameters and retrieval is programming stuff, have we established you need
    any yet? Obviously you know that you can link to picture itself or another
    page. It may or may not be useful here but you should know that you can also
    link to a particular *part* of another page. It is done as follows. You name
    some bit of the target page with the construction <a name="map">here is
    map...</a> And you refer to this bit in the link like this: <a
    href="somePage/#name">see this bit</a>. This may become relevant for you
    depending on how you proceed.

    > Here is another way to explain what I have. I actually have 3 things:
    > - One HTML file containing the list of the approximnately 50 offices
    > - An HTML file for each office, displaying a picture and description of that
    > office
    > - One HTML file showing the map of all the office locations.
    >
    > The first thing to appear is the list of offices by names. When the employee
    > clicks on an office from the list, it links them to the html file displaying
    > its picture and description.

    Yes, I thought it was a bit like this. Now I know for sure you have a page
    for each office, this is what you could do: put the relevant bit of the map
    on each office page. Forget the 2000 * 2000 for this, just edit a chunk for
    each page. The 2000*2000 can be somewhere that is linkable from each page
    for reference if needed. Get cracking, your summer will be over and you will
    be too cold and miserable and depressed if you have not done it by then.

    If you absolutely have to have the whole map for context for users
    everytime, then do this: put some coordinates (ABCDEF..., and 12345...) on
    the map itself (top, bottom, left and right as in street directories) -
    easy to do in any image-editing software. And put in the map coordinates in
    some html at the top of the map bold. Then thety can scroll to the bit
    concerned quickly. This way you prepare one map only. It is repeated on
    every office page and only the coordinates change. No need to do any
    highlighting besides this. When I think about it, I would probably end up
    doing this. BTW, you can refer to the map from the top of the office page,
    or the original list link page, if you find it useful, by the technique of
    linking to a part of the page.

    > Thanks again for your patience and all...

    It has gone beyond a matter of patience. I can't sleep nights until you are
    happy.

    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 3, 2005
  8. Guy Doucet

    Guy Doucet Guest

    Re: This is what I meant about highlighting a section ofalargemap...

    > It has gone beyond a matter of patience. I can't sleep nights until you
    are
    > happy.
    >
    > dorayme

    I know you were just kidding, but I wanted to let you know that I have
    finally accomplished exactly what I wanted. The only thing left to do is to
    build it. No pop-up window either!

    I found, in another newsgroup, how javascript can obtain the URL. So instead
    of having a pop-up window and sending arguments to it, I link to a html file
    and include the argument in the URL, such as http://mypage.com?5. The
    javascript code reads the value "5" and positions the map to the 5th office
    based on its array of x/y coordinates.

    That javascript command is:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    var city=location.search.substring(1);
    // ...

    </script>

    Thanks again for all your pointers, I am happy!
    G Doucet

    Guy Doucet, Jun 5, 2005