This script fails, can't debug the problem (has some TCL in it sorry)

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Phil Powell, Apr 16, 2006.

  1. Phil Powell

    Phil Powell Guest

    [SCRIPT]
    <script type=\"text/javascript\">
    <!--

    var browserArray = new Array(\"Microsoft Internet Explorer\",
    \"Netscape\");

    if (browserArray.in_array(navigator.appName, browserArray) &&
    navigator.appName == \"Microsoft Internet Explorer\" &&
    parseInt(navigator.appVersion) >= 4
    ) { // IE USERS

    var url = \"http://$serverName\";
    var title = \"[regsub {"} $brand {\&quot;} newBrand; set
    newBrand]\";

    document.write(' <A
    Href=\"javascript:window.external.AddFavorite(url, title);\" return
    true;');
    document.writeln('\">${smFont}BOOKMARK ' +
    title.toUpperCase().replace(new RegExp(/(ä)|ä/),
    String.fromCharCase(228)) + '</font></a>');

    } else if (browserArray.in_array(navigator.appName, browserArray))
    { // NETSCAPE, ETC USE CTRL-D

    document.writeln('${smFont}PRESS (CTRL-D) TO BOOKMARK ' +
    title.toUpperCase().replace(new RegExp(/(ä)|ä/),
    String.fromCharCase(228)) + '</font>');

    }
    document.writeln(' |');

    //-->
    </script>
    [/SCRIPT]

    When run, this script fails to recognize the correct browser; I'll be
    in IE and it'll think it's not IE.

    When also run, this script fails to replace "ä" with
    String.fromCharCase(228) as well.

    Please help, it's affecting a live site

    Thanx
    Phil

    Phil Powell, Apr 16, 2006

  2. Phil Powell

    VK Guest

    Phil Powell wrote:
    > [SCRIPT]
    > <script type=\"text/javascript\">
    > <!--
    >
    > var browserArray = new Array(\"Microsoft Internet Explorer\",
    > \"Netscape\");

    Why do you think it's going to be IE or NN only? Actually the chance to
    meet NN now is *much* lower than other browsers like say Firefox.

    It would be good enough just
    if ((window.external)&&(window.external.AddFavorite)) {
    // then use IE-exclusive AddFavorite method
    }

    And how enyone suppose to guess where characters escaped for your TCL
    pre-processor and where it's a malformed JavaScript string?

    Please serve the page of question in a browser, View Source > Copy >
    Paste in your next message. Otherwise it will remain a difficult
    guessing game.

    VK, Apr 16, 2006

  3. Phil Powell wrote:

    > <script type=\"text/javascript\">
    > <!--

    Commenting out script element content this way has always been
    nonsense, and is obsolete since about six years. Search the archives.

    > var browserArray = new Array(\"Microsoft Internet Explorer\",
    > \"Netscape\");

    I take it that the script is generated by some kind of server-side
    application, as it is not at all syntactically correct as it is.
    If so, you should post the generated source code (or the public URL
    of it if there is one), not the generating one, as only the former
    is relevant for client-side scripts.

    > if (browserArray.in_array(navigator.appName, browserArray) &&
    > navigator.appName == \"Microsoft Internet Explorer\" &&
    > parseInt(navigator.appVersion) >= 4
    > ) { // IE USERS
    > [...]

    Utter nonsense. <URL:http://pointedears.de/scripts/test/whatami>.

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Apr 16, 2006
  4. Phil Powell

    Randy Webb Guest

    Re: This script fails, can't debug the problem (has some TCL in itsorry)

    VK said the following on 4/16/2006 1:54 PM:
    > Phil Powell wrote:
    >> [SCRIPT]
    >> <script type=\"text/javascript\">
    >> <!--
    >>
    >> var browserArray = new Array(\"Microsoft Internet Explorer\",
    >> \"Netscape\");

    > Why do you think it's going to be IE or NN only? Actually the chance to
    > meet NN now is *much* lower than other browsers like say Firefox.
    >
    > It would be good enough just
    > if ((window.external)&&(window.external.AddFavorite)) {
    > // then use IE-exclusive AddFavorite method
    > }

    Did you test that? It is well known, to some of us anyway, that you can
    not reliably test for addfavorite (it is case insensitive - test it).

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Apr 17, 2006
  5. Phil Powell

    Phil Powell Guest

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
    > Phil Powell wrote:
    >
    > > <script type=\"text/javascript\">
    > > <!--

    > Commenting out script element content this way has always been
    > nonsense, and is obsolete since about six years. Search the archives.
    >
    > > var browserArray = new Array(\"Microsoft Internet Explorer\",
    > > \"Netscape\");

    > I take it that the script is generated by some kind of server-side
    > application, as it is not at all syntactically correct as it is.
    > If so, you should post the generated source code (or the public URL
    > of it if there is one), not the generating one, as only the former
    > is relevant for client-side scripts.
    >
    > > if (browserArray.in_array(navigator.appName, browserArray) &&
    > > navigator.appName == \"Microsoft Internet Explorer\" &&
    > > parseInt(navigator.appVersion) >= 4
    > > ) { // IE USERS
    > > [...]

    > Utter nonsense. <URL:http://pointedears.de/scripts/test/whatami>.

    Your URL displays nothing.

    Phil Powell, Apr 17, 2006
  6. Phil Powell

    Phil Powell Guest

    VK wrote:
    > Phil Powell wrote:
    > > [SCRIPT]
    > > <script type=\"text/javascript\">
    > > <!--
    > >
    > > var browserArray = new Array(\"Microsoft Internet Explorer\",
    > > \"Netscape\");

    > Why do you think it's going to be IE or NN only? Actually the chance to
    > meet NN now is *much* lower than other browsers like say Firefox.
    >
    > It would be good enough just
    > if ((window.external)&&(window.external.AddFavorite)) {
    > // then use IE-exclusive AddFavorite method
    > }
    >
    > And how enyone suppose to guess where characters escaped for your TCL
    > pre-processor and where it's a malformed JavaScript string?
    >
    > Please serve the page of question in a browser, View Source > Copy >
    > Paste in your next message. Otherwise it will remain a difficult
    > guessing game.

    <script type="text/javascript">
    <!--

    var browserArray = new Array("Microsoft Internet Explorer",
    "Netscape");

    if (browserArray.in_array(navigator.appName, browserArray) &&
    navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer" &&
    parseInt(navigator.appVersion) >= 4
    ) { // IE USERS

    var url = "http://valsignalandet.com";
    var title = "Välsignalandet";

    document.write(' <A
    Href="javascript:window.external.AddFavorite(url, title);" return
    true;');
    document.writeln('"><font face="Georgia, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica,
    sans-serif" size="1"><b>BOOKMARK ' + title.replace(new
    RegExp(/ä/), String.fromCharCase(197)).toUpperCase() +
    '</font></a>');

    } else if (browserArray.in_array(navigator.appName, browserArray))
    { // NETSCAPE, ETC USE CTRL-D

    document.writeln('<font face="Georgia, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica,
    sans-serif" size="1"><b>PRESS (CTRL-D) TO BOOKMARK ' +
    title.replace(new RegExp(/ä/),
    String.fromCharCase(197)).toUpperCase() + '</font>');

    }
    document.writeln(' |</a>');

    //-->
    </script>
    <noscript>
    size="1"><b>PRESS (CTRL-D) TO BOOKMARK VäLSIGNALANDET AS
    "http://valsignalandet.com"</font> |
    </noscript>

    Phil Powell, Apr 17, 2006
  7. Phil Powell

    Phil Powell Guest

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
    > Phil Powell wrote:
    >
    > > <script type=\"text/javascript\">
    > > <!--

    > Commenting out script element content this way has always been
    > nonsense, and is obsolete since about six years. Search the archives.

    They need to replace Simon Cowell with you. You'll make tons more
    money for pointing out nonissues than you will on me. Translation:
    Commenting out script element content breaks absolutely nothing and has
    not been even officially deprecated by any client browser of any kind.
    Could you please stick with what is breaking my code?

    > > var browserArray = new Array(\"Microsoft Internet Explorer\",
    > > \"Netscape\");

    > I take it that the script is generated by some kind of server-side
    > application, as it is not at all syntactically correct as it is.
    > If so, you should post the generated source code (or the public URL
    > of it if there is one), not the generating one, as only the former
    > is relevant for client-side scripts.

    See my reply to VK.

    > > if (browserArray.in_array(navigator.appName, browserArray) &&
    > > navigator.appName == \"Microsoft Internet Explorer\" &&
    > > parseInt(navigator.appVersion) >= 4
    > > ) { // IE USERS
    > > [...]

    > Utter nonsense. <URL:http://pointedears.de/scripts/test/whatami>.

    Why is it so?

    Phil Powell, Apr 17, 2006
  8. Phil Powell

    VK Guest

    Randy Webb wrote:
    > Did you test that? It is well known, to some of us anyway, that you can
    > not reliably test for addfavorite (it is case insensitive - test it).

    As it happens rather often, I missed the source of you excitement
    completely. I did not propose to change the case: I proposed to make
    feature test instead of looking for browser name in the UA's string:
    if ((window.external)&&(window.external.AddFavorite)) { ...

    And yes (but irrelevant) AddFavorite method is not case sensitive: but
    the official method description uses AddFavorite, not addfavorite:
    <http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/methods/addfavorite.asp>
    IMHO it is always better to use the officialy described syntax rather
    than explore system's durt tolerance.

    To OP: here is also a sniffing-free variant:

    <head>
    <title>Bookmark</title>
    content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    </head>

    <!--[if IE]>
    onclick="
    event.returnValue = false;
    external.AddFavorite(location.href,document.title)">Add to
    favorites</a>
    <![endif]-->
    <![if !IE]>
    <![endif]>

    VK, Apr 17, 2006
  9. Phil Powell

    Phil Powell Guest

    Randy Webb wrote:
    > VK said the following on 4/16/2006 1:54 PM:
    > > Phil Powell wrote:
    > >> [SCRIPT]
    > >> <script type=\"text/javascript\">
    > >> <!--
    > >>
    > >> var browserArray = new Array(\"Microsoft Internet Explorer\",
    > >> \"Netscape\");

    > > Why do you think it's going to be IE or NN only? Actually the chance to
    > > meet NN now is *much* lower than other browsers like say Firefox.
    > >
    > > It would be good enough just
    > > if ((window.external)&&(window.external.AddFavorite)) {
    > > // then use IE-exclusive AddFavorite method
    > > }

    > Did you test that? It is well known, to some of us anyway, that you can
    > not reliably test for addfavorite (it is case insensitive - test it).

    I got it, thanx

    title.replace("ä", String.fromCharCode(196)).toUpperCase()

    That was all it took for it to work!
    Phil

    Phil Powell, Apr 17, 2006
  10. Re: This script fails, can't debug the problem (has some TCL in itsorry)

    "Phil Powell" <> writes:

    > <script type="text/javascript">
    > <!--

    HTML comment is unneccessary, although not harmful in HTML (it would
    be in XHTML, and we can't see which you are using).

    > var browserArray = new Array("Microsoft Internet Explorer",
    > "Netscape");
    >

    > if (browserArray.in_array(navigator.appName, browserArray) &&

    Where is the "in_array" function on arrays defined? Why does it take
    an array as second argument if it is a method on arrays?

    > navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer" &&
    > parseInt(navigator.appVersion) >= 4
    > ) { // IE USERS

    I too recommend feature detection, not browser detection.

    > var url = "http://valsignalandet.com";
    > var title = "Välsignalandet";
    >
    > document.write(' <A
    > Href="javascript:window.external.AddFavorite(url, title);" return
    > true;');

    I guess this line was broken by your news client. If you cannot use a
    news client that doesn't break lines when it shouldn't, it's recommended
    that you restrict lines to ~72 characters. In this case I can see the
    problem, since you are copy'n'pasting the exact output of your server
    side program ... it's just that that is not what we see.
    To use the script we can't just copy it into a page, we have to manually
    find and remove the incorrect line breaks ... which is a barrier for
    you getting answers, and you don't want that :)

    You should not use a link with a "javascript:" URL, but instead use
    the onclick attribute. In IE, clicking a javascript:-link will put the
    browser into a mode where it expects the page to be unloaded
    soon. This, amongst other things, stops animated images from
    animating.

    I would prefer it as a button, for semantic reasons (links link to
    resources, buttons do things, so this matches a button better than a
    link).

    > document.writeln('"><font face="Georgia, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica,
    > sans-serif" size="1"><b>BOOKMARK ' + title.replace(new
    > RegExp(/ä/), String.fromCharCase(197)).toUpperCase() +

    You are using "title" as a variable. I'm guessing that you refer to
    the document's title, which is available as "document.title".

    You write "new RegExp(/ä/)". Since "/ä/" is already a RegExp,
    the outer call is unnecessary. You probably want to match all instances
    of "ä" in the title, so you should use "/ä/g" if there is
    more than one.

    "String.fromCharCase(197)" should probably be "String.fromCharCode(197)",
    or just "Å".
    It would me more correct to convert "ä" to "å" (i.e.,
    String.fromCharCode(228)). The .toUpperCase() call works correctly on
    this.

    Is "Å" the only non-ASCII letter you expect to be coded in the page
    title? Could it be written as "&Aring;"?

    You could consider using:
    document.title.replace(/&#(\d+);/g, function(m,n) {
    return String.fromCharCode(Number(n));
    })
    to convert all numeric character entities to the respective characters.

    > '</font></a>');

    I would recommend CSS instead of font tags.

    In order to be correct HTML, you should escape the "</" sequence to
    "<\/", since the former is what ends the script element according to
    the standard. Browsers tend to continue the script element until
    the first "</script", though.

    > } else if (browserArray.in_array(navigator.appName, browserArray))
    > { // NETSCAPE, ETC USE CTRL-D
    >
    > document.writeln('<font face="Georgia, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica,
    > sans-serif" size="1"><b>PRESS (CTRL-D) TO BOOKMARK ' +
    > title.replace(new RegExp(/ä/),
    > String.fromCharCase(197)).toUpperCase() + '</font>');

    dittos

    > }
    > document.writeln(' |</a>');

    If you try to run this, you would get error messages in the javascript
    console (in Netscape 4 or Mozilla browsers) or directly as popups
    in IE. Have you read the messages there?

    /L
    --
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen -

    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen, Apr 17, 2006
  11. Phil Powell wrote:

    > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
    >> Phil Powell wrote:
    >> > if (browserArray.in_array(navigator.appName, browserArray) &&
    >> > navigator.appName == \"Microsoft Internet Explorer\" &&
    >> > parseInt(navigator.appVersion) >= 4
    >> > ) { // IE USERS
    >> > [...]

    >> Utter nonsense. <URL:http://pointedears.de/scripts/test/whatami>.

    > Your URL displays nothing.

    A bold lie, of course. But I expected nothing more from you.

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Apr 17, 2006
  12. Lasse Reichstein Nielsen wrote:

    > "Phil Powell" <> writes:
    >> <script type="text/javascript">
    >> <!--

    > HTML comment is unneccessary, although not harmful in HTML (it would
    > be in XHTML, and we can't see which you are using).

    Of course it is harmful in HTML, too. Because one relies on either a
    non-compliant parser to remove those delimiters before the content is
    passed to the script engine, or an ECMAScript extension to interpret
    those operators differently if they are arranged this way.

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Apr 17, 2006
  13. Phil Powell

    optimistx Guest

    "Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn" <> kirjoitti viestissä
    > Phil Powell wrote:
    >
    > > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Utter nonsense. <URL:http://pointedears.de/scripts/test/whatami>.

    > > Your URL displays nothing.

    > A bold lie, of course. But I expected nothing more from you.
    >

    > PointedEars

    I have clicked your link above 4 times during several hours, as you might
    see from your server log. My browser shows a blank page with a message
    'Done' in the statusbar.

    So in your opinion I am a bold liar as Phil Powell?

    Interesting. Amusing(?).

    optimistx, Apr 17, 2006
  14. Phil Powell

    VK said the following on 4/17/2006 3:30 AM:
    > Randy Webb wrote:
    >> Did you test that? It is well known, to some of us anyway, that you can
    >> not reliably test for addfavorite (it is case insensitive - test it).

    > As it happens rather often, I missed the source of you excitement
    > completely. I did not propose to change the case: I proposed to make
    > feature test instead of looking for browser name in the UA's string:
    > if ((window.external)&&(window.external.AddFavorite)) { ...

    And my point was that if you test that code in your IE you will find out
    what I was referring to.

    <URL:http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/browse_frm/thread/471a2fe76c11ac0e/433fc52e9d02b7a4?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DISO-8859-1%26q%3Dtest%2Bwindow.external.addfavorite%26meta%3D#433fc52e9d02b7a4>
    <URL:http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/browse_thread/thread/309d3761803a8f4f/9bde8e81844b796d?q=window.external+Richard&rnum=1#9bde8e81844b796d>

    Adding the test for AddFavorite bombs it out. Badly. You can test for
    window.external but not for .addfavorite

    > And yes (but irrelevant) AddFavorite method is not case sensitive: but
    > the official method description uses AddFavorite, not addfavorite:
    > <http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/methods/addfavorite.asp>
    > IMHO it is always better to use the officialy described syntax rather
    > than explore system's durt tolerance.

    True but it was more a side-note than anything else.

    > To OP: here is also a sniffing-free variant:

    <snip>

    > <!--[if IE]>
    > onclick="
    > event.returnValue = false;
    > external.AddFavorite(location.href,document.title)">Add to
    > favorites</a>
    > <![endif]-->
    > <![if !IE]>
    > <![endif]>

    That is not a variant that works reliably though. The AOL browser will
    display, and pass, the IE conditionals but it does not support
    external.AddFavorite in any capitalization. The first thread I point to
    above explains how to do it in AOL and Ctrl-D doesn't work in AOL either.

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Apr 17, 2006
  15. optimistx wrote:

    > "Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn" [wrote:]
    >> Phil Powell wrote:

    >> > Your URL displays nothing.

    >> A bold lie, of course. But I expected nothing more from you.
    >> [...]

    > I have clicked your link above 4 times during several hours, as you might
    > see from your server log.

    .... where it would have been very helpful if you said what your IP address
    was at the time ...

    > My browser

    .... where it would have been very helpful if you said which one exactly ...

    > shows a blank page with a message 'Done' in the statusbar.
    >
    > So in your opinion I am a bold liar as Phil Powell?

    Yes, i.e. you are none :) Sorry.

    It would appear that only IE is having problems with cgi_buffer now (either
    an IE patch or PHP upgrade issue, I assume), which is generating a gzip
    response if the Accept-* header says so (and at least with my IE it does).

    Only in my IE 6 SP1 on Win2k, the content breaks up in the middle of the
    generating client-side script code; probably something similar happens on
    WinXP (if I assume that the "NT 5.1" requests can be attributed to one or
    both of you two.)

    It would also appear that the several trustworthy people I have asked to
    test it and who reported no problems whatsoever (which led me to believe
    that this was merely a bold lie), either did not see the English version,
    or they did not use (the same) IE (version as either of us). As
    surprisingly the problem did/does not occur with the German version,
    cgi_buffer and IE. I will have to investigate this further. Later.

    I have disabled cgi_buffer for this resource now and tested it, so it should
    also work with you now. Thank you both for pointing this out to me anyway.

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Apr 17, 2006
  16. Phil Powell

    Phil Powell Guest

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
    > Phil Powell wrote:
    >
    > > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Utter nonsense. <URL:http://pointedears.de/scripts/test/whatami>.

    > > Your URL displays nothing.

    > A bold lie, of course. But I expected nothing more from you.

    So why did you reply anyway? There is no point in replying to someone
    you expect - in a drawing-a-conclusion illogical kind of way - to
    behave in a pattern you cannot prove but can somehow seemingly deduce,
    when lying is expected meaning that the thread is nothing more than a
    meaningless exercise in personal self-gratification.

    You're entertaining in a dark way, mein freund.

    Phil

    Phil Powell, Apr 17, 2006
  17. Phil Powell

    optimistx Guest

    "Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn" <> kirjoitti viestissä

    > Yes, i.e. you are none :) Sorry.
    >
    > It would appear that only IE is having problems with cgi_buffer now

    (either
    > an IE patch or PHP upgrade issue, I assume), which is generating a gzip
    > response if the Accept-* header says so (and at least with my IE it does).

    The empty page was shown by Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106, and my ip is
    84.239.... .

    I appreciate your apology, no bad feelings now.

    optimistx, Apr 18, 2006
  18. Phil Powell wrote:

    > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
    >> Phil Powell wrote:

    >> > Your URL displays nothing.

    >> A bold lie, of course. But I expected nothing more from you.

    > So why did you reply anyway? There is no point in replying to someone
    > you expect - in a drawing-a-conclusion illogical kind of way - to
    > behave in a pattern you cannot prove but can somehow seemingly deduce,
    > when lying is expected meaning that the thread is nothing more than a
    > meaningless exercise in personal self-gratification.

    I have already said I am sorry! What else do you want? Me falling on my
    knees before you? Forget it.

    I have posted the URL because the document resource it points to explains
    to you in my own words why your approach of trying to detecting a browser
    and working on the assumption that this detection is correct or viable for
    the features it supports is a dangerously nonsensical one, and points to
    the article in the FAQ Notes of this newsgroup that explains this further,
    among others. I created it and point to it here because this is something
    that needs to be pointed out so often to script developers and yet is still
    so basic in nature, that I do not like to explain it over and over again.

    It is not intended to be and it is not at all "a meaningless exercise in
    personal self-gratification". There has been only a minor bug in the
    server-side script it generates, which led to this misunderstanding, and
    should be fixed now (as I explained).

    > You're entertaining in a dark way, mein freund.

    I am not your friend, and I seriously doubt I ever will be. Besides, if
    you attempt to use German to try (and fail) patronizing a speaker of German
    as native language such as myself, you should at least be able to write
    German words correctly (including capitalization of nouns). Unless you
    deliberately want to make a complete fool of yourself, of course.

    Score adjusted

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Apr 18, 2006
  19. Phil Powell

    Phil Powell Guest

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
    > Phil Powell wrote:
    >
    > > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

    > >> A bold lie, of course. But I expected nothing more from you.

    > > So why did you reply anyway? There is no point in replying to someone
    > > you expect - in a drawing-a-conclusion illogical kind of way - to
    > > behave in a pattern you cannot prove but can somehow seemingly deduce,
    > > when lying is expected meaning that the thread is nothing more than a
    > > meaningless exercise in personal self-gratification.

    > I have already said I am sorry! What else do you want? Me falling on my
    > knees before you? Forget it.
    >
    > I have posted the URL because the document resource it points to explains
    > to you in my own words why your approach of trying to detecting a browser
    > and working on the assumption that this detection is correct or viable for
    > the features it supports is a dangerously nonsensical one, and points to
    > the article in the FAQ Notes of this newsgroup that explains this further,
    > among others. I created it and point to it here because this is something
    > that needs to be pointed out so often to script developers and yet is still
    > so basic in nature, that I do not like to explain it over and over again.
    >
    > It is not intended to be and it is not at all "a meaningless exercise in
    > personal self-gratification". There has been only a minor bug in the
    > server-side script it generates, which led to this misunderstanding, and
    > should be fixed now (as I explained).
    >
    > > You're entertaining in a dark way, mein freund.

    > I am not your friend, and I seriously doubt I ever will be. Besides, if
    > you attempt to use German to try (and fail) patronizing a speaker of German
    > as native language such as myself, you should at least be able to write
    > German words correctly (including capitalization of nouns). Unless you
    > deliberately want to make a complete fool of yourself, of course.
    >

    > Score adjusted

    Life not fazed.

    Phil

    Phil Powell, Apr 19, 2006
  20. Phil Powell

    Phil Powell Guest

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
    > Phil Powell wrote:
    >
    > > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

    > >> A bold lie, of course. But I expected nothing more from you.

    > > So why did you reply anyway? There is no point in replying to someone
    > > you expect - in a drawing-a-conclusion illogical kind of way - to
    > > behave in a pattern you cannot prove but can somehow seemingly deduce,
    > > when lying is expected meaning that the thread is nothing more than a
    > > meaningless exercise in personal self-gratification.

    > I have already said I am sorry! What else do you want? Me falling on my
    > knees before you? Forget it.
    >
    > I have posted the URL because the document resource it points to explains
    > to you in my own words why your approach of trying to detecting a browser
    > and working on the assumption that this detection is correct or viable for
    > the features it supports is a dangerously nonsensical one, and points to
    > the article in the FAQ Notes of this newsgroup that explains this further,
    > among others. I created it and point to it here because this is something
    > that needs to be pointed out so often to script developers and yet is still
    > so basic in nature, that I do not like to explain it over and over again.
    >
    > It is not intended to be and it is not at all "a meaningless exercise in
    > personal self-gratification". There has been only a minor bug in the
    > server-side script it generates, which led to this misunderstanding, and
    > should be fixed now (as I explained).
    >
    > > You're entertaining in a dark way, mein freund.

    > I am not your friend, and I seriously doubt I ever will be. Besides, if
    > you attempt to use German to try (and fail) patronizing a speaker of German
    > as native language such as myself, you should at least be able to write
    > German words correctly (including capitalization of nouns). Unless you
    > deliberately want to make a complete fool of yourself, of course.

    IF YOU INSIST, MEIN FREUND!! GOTT SEGNE EUCH

    Phil

    Phil Powell, Apr 19, 2006