this.showStatus not working...

FB

does not work when used with IE7 and Sun´s JRE

works with IE6 and Sun´s JRE

works with IE7 and MS VM

any clues?

Andrew Thompson

FB wrote:

Please repeat the (crux of the) subject line within the body
of posts. *
does not work when used with IE7 and Sun´s JRE

Checking the JavaDocs (ya' know - RTFM?) for J2SE 6,**
we can see ..
<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/applet/Applet.html#showStatus(java.lang.String
)>
"Suggests.." OK we can stop there.
This method does not have to work in any *compliant*
JRE/browser combo.

Note that if 'my IE' is in full screen mode, there is *no*
'status bar', so an applet could yell and scream messages
to it, and they would not affect me in the slightest. If a
message is important to the app., either show it in the
content area, pop a dialog, or launch the applet using web
start - in a JFrame that implements a 'status bar' on the
bottom, and provides an AppletContext that passes on the
messages.

(** AFAIR all earlier J2SE versions will say much the
same thing).
works with IE6 and Sun´s JRE
Lucky.

works with IE7 and MS VM

Lucky? Where did you get an MSVM, and what on earth
possessed you to infect your IE7 with it?
any clues?

* Also, please capitalize the first letter of each sentence.

FB

Andrew Thompson said:
FB wrote:

Please repeat the (crux of the) subject line within the body
of posts. *

ok, the following code doesn´t work in some browser/VM combinations:

this.showStatus("some string");

Checking the JavaDocs (ya' know - RTFM?) for J2SE 6,**
we can see ..
<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/applet/Applet.html#showStatus(java.lang.String
)>
"Suggests.." OK we can stop there.
This method does not have to work in any *compliant*
JRE/browser combo.

Note that if 'my IE' is in full screen mode, there is *no*
'status bar', so an applet could yell and scream messages
to it, and they would not affect me in the slightest. If a
message is important to the app., either show it in the
content area, pop a dialog, or launch the applet using web
start - in a JFrame that implements a 'status bar' on the
bottom, and provides an AppletContext that passes on the
messages.

er... if the browser was in full screen mode no one would know if this
method was working or not, agree?
so it´s pretty obvious that it´s not working when the browser HAS a status
line/panel...

(** AFAIR all earlier J2SE versions will say much the
same thing).

Lucky.

and why did both MS and Sun put this method on their VMs if it´s not
supposed to work?
Lucky? Where did you get an MSVM, and what on earth
possessed you to infect your IE7 with it?

as a registered Java developer Microsoft granted me the rights to distribute
their VM... and MS VM is still stable, 10x faster than Sun´s and there´s no
annoying auto updates...

Lew

FB said:
as a registered Java developer Microsoft granted me the rights to distribute
their VM... and MS VM is still stable, 10x faster than Sun�s and there�s no
annoying auto updates...

Nor useful manual ones. You also don't get concurrency libraries, NIO,
generics, for-each, enum, HotSpot, security patches, ...

I don't get "annoying" or any other kinds of automatic updates to Java if I
don't want to, and I use Sun's (and IBM's, but that's not important now). So
I don't understand that as a benefit to using an out-of-date, incompatible
version of "Java".

Then there's this little nugget right from Microsoft themselves:
The MSJVM will reach its end of life on December 31, 2007.

Obviously this is old news now in 2008.
Customers are encouraged to take proactive measures to stay informed about
obsolete software and move away from the MSJVM in a timely fashion.
The MSJVM is no longer available for distribution from Microsoft and there
will be no enhancements to the MSJVM.
Microsoft products and SKUs currently including the MSJVM will continue to
be retired or replaced by versions not containing the MSJVM.

Good luck with all that.

Andrew Thompson

FB wrote:
as a registered Java developer Microsoft granted me the rights to distribute
their VM...

Really? Given they are not distributing it off their own site,
and had the crap sued out of them for supplying it themselves,
I find it hard to believe they (recently) felt thay had the right
to 'authorize' anyone else to distribute it.
...and MS VM is still stable, ..

Yes. Those security bugs in the 3810 build will bever be fixed.
..10x faster than Sun´s ..

Not at doing anything 'post 1.1'. ;-)

Besides - 10X? I saw some results that suggested the
MSVM was around 4-5x faster at raw int calculations,
but have lost the URL of the applet. Care to put up an
URL for testing? (I too, have access to an MSVM -
though MS sure did not authorize it).
..and there´s no
annoying auto updates...

The auto-update is configurable. It would be best to advise
users to keep it enabled so they get the latest *security*
updates, but concede it can be pretty irritating for
developers.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.physci.org/

Andrew Thompson

FB wrote:

( Applet.showStatus() )
does not work when used with IE7 and Sun´s JRE

OK. I have to concede that my initial answer to this
question was largely driven by my own irritation at Sun
ever including the word 'suggest' in the JavaDocs.
Perhaps they meant 'if a status bar is available' and
if so, I wish the JavaDocs had said that specifically.

If 'suggest' really means the latter, then yes, this is
apparently (I have no IE7 to confirm the behaviour) a bug.

OTOH - I guess Sun would have every right to mark
a bug report as 'Closed - not a bug' if they want to
stick to the 'suggests' line of reasoning.

I would still recommend that you
a) Search the bug database*.
b) If it is not mentioned, raise a report.
c) Give us some progress reports on that.

It may turn out this is a simple regression problem
that is easily fixed.

* <http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/index.jsp>

As a general comment on applets though. 'Expect
complications'. As you have experienced in this
case, something seemingly very simple that works
in one version of one browser on one OS running one
Java version, may not even work on the same OS
and browser if the browser/Java versions are different
(let alone an entirely different browser on a different
platform).

IE is the 'classic' when it comes to 'little tricks for
applets to overcome', but other browser brands have
their 'interesting little quirks' to account for, as well.

I would not recommend applet development to any
but very experienced Java developers.

Applets are a PITA. (Go webstart instead!)

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.physci.org/