....thought provoking subject line.....

Discussion in 'HTML' started by RH81, Sep 14, 2003.

  1. RH81

    RH81 Guest

    hi, im hoping someone might be able to answer my query.
    could someone please direct me to a suitable FAQ for this type of thing, as
    i have had no luck finding one..!

    i have 50mb webspace from my ISP, and i want to publish my own made music on
    it, for my friends and other people to retreive at will.
    i have made a small 1 page website and before i uploaded it, was
    successfully able to click the links i provided to my music and listen to
    same.

    now i have uploaded my page correctly, when i tested the page i clicked on
    the links but was told that they could not be found....even tho the mp3's
    are
    in the directory i posted my index.html in.....

    any help greatly appreciated!

    thanks
    rus

    RH81, Sep 14, 2003

  2. RH81

    Els Guest

    RH81 wrote:

    > hi, im hoping someone might be able to answer my query.
    > could someone please direct me to a suitable FAQ for this type of thing, as
    > i have had no luck finding one..!
    >
    > i have 50mb webspace from my ISP, and i want to publish my own made music on
    > it, for my friends and other people to retreive at will.
    > i have made a small 1 page website and before i uploaded it, was
    > successfully able to click the links i provided to my music and listen to
    > same.
    >
    > now i have uploaded my page correctly, when i tested the page i clicked on
    > the links but was told that they could not be found....even tho the mp3's
    > are
    > in the directory i posted my index.html in.....
    >
    > any help greatly appreciated!

    Without a url, not many people will be able to *see* what's
    wrong ;-)

    --
    Els

    Mente humana é como pára-quedas; funciona melhor aberta.

    Els, Sep 14, 2003

  3. RH81 wrote:

    > now i have uploaded my page correctly, when i tested the page i
    > clicked on the links but was told that they could not be
    > found....even tho the mp3's are
    > in the directory i posted my index.html in.....

    Be sure you link to the files correctly - beware of uppercase letters,
    spacing etc.

    Perhaps your ISP doesn't allow MP3s and prevents linking to files with
    the mp3-extension.

    --
    Anders Thorsen Holm | http://www.daimi.au.dk/~zoolook/
    "Angry men in combat fatigues talkin' to God on a two-way radio and

    Anders Thorsen Holm, Sep 14, 2003
  4. > now i have uploaded my page correctly, when i tested the page i clicked on
    > the links but was told that they could not be found....even tho the mp3's
    > are
    > in the directory i posted my index.html in.....

    Give us a link to look at

    Chris Leonard, Sep 14, 2003
  5. RH81

    RH81 Guest

    http://www.apvh56.dsl.pipex.com

    i am pretty novice at html as you will be able to see!
    thanks for your replies too...

    RH81, Sep 14, 2003
  6. "RH81" <> wrote in message news:<3f64bae5$0$248$>...
    > hi, im hoping someone might be able to answer my query.
    > could someone please direct me to a suitable FAQ for this type of thing, as
    > i have had no luck finding one..!
    >
    > i have 50mb webspace from my ISP, and i want to publish my own made music on
    > it, for my friends and other people to retreive at will.
    > i have made a small 1 page website and before i uploaded it, was
    > successfully able to click the links i provided to my music and listen to
    > same.
    >
    > now i have uploaded my page correctly, when i tested the page i clicked on
    > the links but was told that they could not be found....even tho the mp3's
    > are
    > in the directory i posted my index.html in.....
    >
    > any help greatly appreciated!
    >
    > thanks
    > rus

    Without a link to look at, you'll have to accept wild guesses.....

    If you did your development on the Windows platform, you could get
    away with case mismatches (capital letters in filenames, lowercase in
    links, for inatnaces) that simply will not play on the Web. That's the
    first thing to check. Links and files must have the same spelling and
    case-treatment.

    ---- jerry (WikiWriter lives at http://hytext.com/ww )

    Jerry Muelver, Sep 14, 2003
  7. RH81

    RH81 Guest

    on closer inspection, when i click the link for the mp3, it tries to find
    www.apvh56.dsl.pipex.com/guff.mp3
    does that mean i must make a second page containing the mp3?

    does anyone know of a tutorial or FAQ explaining the process of adding mp3s
    to their site?

    many thanks
    rus

    RH81, Sep 14, 2003
  8. RH81 pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    > on closer inspection, when i click the link for the mp3, it tries to find
    > www.apvh56.dsl.pipex.com/guff.mp3
    > does that mean i must make a second page containing the mp3?

    I'm listening to guff1.mp3 at this moment. I just clicked the link and
    Firebird began to play it...

    Nice piece of music. New age-y.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 14, 2003
  9. RH81

    RH81 Guest

    ok, thanks to all for your help!
    thats such a strange thing now it works - i triple checked the source and
    all was fine. everything was in the correct case, letter for letter.
    human error you say??? pah... smacks of ISP troubles.

    i shall bring better subject lines upon my return to this group.

    thanks
    rus

    RH81, Sep 15, 2003
  10. "RH81" <> wrote in message news:<3f64f5c4$0$255$>...
    > ok, thanks to all for your help!
    > thats such a strange thing now it works - i triple checked the source and
    > all was fine. everything was in the correct case, letter for letter.
    > human error you say??? pah... smacks of ISP troubles.
    >
    > i shall bring better subject lines upon my return to this group.
    >
    > thanks
    > rus

    Excellent! Please also bring a willingness to adopt this group's
    convention of bottom-posting and editing quotes for relevance. See
    http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post for some useful tips.

    ---- jerry

    Jerry Muelver, Sep 15, 2003
  11. RH81

    RH81 Guest

    > Excellent! Please also bring a willingness to adopt this group's
    > convention of bottom-posting and editing quotes for relevance. See
    > http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post for some useful tips.
    >
    > ---- jerry

    sorry man, jeez.

    RH81, Sep 15, 2003