thread and processes with python/GTK

awalter1

Hello,

I'm developping an application with python, pyGTK and GTK+.
I've performed many tests by using methods as Popen, popen2,
os.system ... to communicate with Unix (HPUX),
The last attempt is this code written in a thread :
fin,fout = popen2.popen2('ps -def')
line = fin.readline()
while 1 :
if not line : break
print "line=",line
line = fin.readline()
fin.close()
In that case, lines are printed only when I exit my application.
Usually the behavior is not as expected and I cannot understand why. I
am wondering that it could be a constraint from the use of GTK
(mainloop() existence ???).
Is somebody aware about conflict between GTK use and unix mechanism.

Thanks for you help

Thomas Guettler

Hi,

how do you start the python app? Goes stdout
to a terminal or a pipe?

"python script.py"
and "python script.py | cat" behave different.

Maybe "sys.stdout.flush()" helps you.

BTW, I switched from threads to idle_add for pygtk
applications.

awalter1

HI,

I launch my application by 'python script.py'
I've already add a sys.stdout.flush with no effect.

if the idle_add is an alternative to thread, where to get details
about its use (no reference in http://www.pygtk.org/docs/pygtk/
index.html, but very brief information in GTK+ documentation)
In my case how to implement the system call 'ps -def' through idle_add

Thanks