thread safety and std::map

digz

Hi,
I am trying to write a program which has two threads one of them write
to a map , and the other one deletes entries based on a certain
criterion..
first I cannot get the delete portion to work , what am i missing
here.
also is it possible/correct that the removeKeyValue function acquire
the mutex lock only during the call to map.erase(), and not the during
the whole iteration process as i have done here( i logically felt it
was safer to lock up the whole iteration ) but that can take up
massive amounts of time when the addKeyValue function would wait for
the lock to be released...

Thanks in advance
Digz

#include<map>
#include<iostream>
#include<boost/thread/thread.hpp>
#include<boost/thread/mutex.hpp>
#include<boost/bind.hpp>
#include<time.h>

boost::mutex _mutex;
typedef boost::mutex::scoped_lock Lock;
typedef std::map <int, time_t>::iterator mapIter;
std::map <int, time_t> timerMap;

void addKeyValue (std::map < int, time_t > &map) {
int i = 0;
time_t t;
while (true) {
{
Lock guard (_mutex);
map[++i] = time (&t);
std::cout << "added: " << i << ", " << t << std::endl;
} //end lock
sleep (1);
} //end while
}

void removeKeyValue (std::map < int, time_t > &map) {
time_t t;
while (true) {
{
Lock guard1 (_mutex);
mapIter end = map.end ();
for (mapIter beg = map.begin (); beg != end;) {
if (time (&t) - (*beg).second > 3) {//anything older than 3
seconds needs attention
std::cout << "removing: " << (*beg).first << ", " <<
(*beg).second << std::endl;
map.erase (beg++);
}
else
++beg;
} //end for
} //end lock scope
} //end while true
}

int main ()
{
boost::thread t (boost::bind (addKeyValue, timerMap));
boost::thread u (boost::bind (removeKeyValue, timerMap));
t.join();
u.join();
}

----------------

Jim Langston

digz said:
[...]

comp.programming.threads may be a better newsgroup for this question.

You say, "I cannot get the delete portion to work" how is it not working?
Is it not deleting the entries or locking up or... ?

[...]

Thanks
Will post to the correct list ,however to be clear
It is not deleting the entries , when i try gdb debug , the begin !=
end test always fails
and the deleting thread is never able to enter the iteration loop,
In normal execution , i only see stuff getting added (the cout
messages)
but none of getting deleted..