Raga

Hi,

I have the run method like this:

public void run()

while(true)
//some set of operations

Thread.sleep(5*1000*60);

}

In the above code, the sleep operation seems to take a lot of CPU time
though ideally sleep is like a no-op mode, meaning since no operation
is done when a thread sleeps, it should not use any/minimal CPU time.
But it seems to take over 30% of CPU time!

Any ideas on why such a weird thing's happening?

In fact, in one more similar method also, sleep is taking similar CPU
time.

Philipp Leitner

Raga said:
Hi,

I have the run method like this:

public void run()

while(true)
//some set of operations

Thread.sleep(5*1000*60);

}

In the above code, the sleep operation seems to take a lot of CPU time
though ideally sleep is like a no-op mode, meaning since no operation
is done when a thread sleeps, it should not use any/minimal CPU time.
But it seems to take over 30% of CPU time!

Any ideas on why such a weird thing's happening?

In fact, in one more similar method also, sleep is taking similar CPU
time.

Hmmm ... no, on my computer (Mac OS X 10.4, Java 5) I don't have
similar problems:

I wrote something like

public class ThreadTest {
try {
for(;;)
Thread.sleep(5*1000*60);
}
catch(Exception e) {
e.printStackTrace();

to test it, and it does not seem to consume much CPU while sleeping:

902 java 0.0% 0:00.50

/philipp

pranshu

Hi Raga,
How are you measuring CPU time ?

I guess you are using a profiler.
It is highly likely that your loop is very light - taking 0.01% of
system time - and out of that the sleep method is taking 30%?
essentially being 30% of nothing.

Pranshu

Raga

Yes, I used profiler.

Its not that way. Out of teh total CPU consumption, sleep() in this
method is taking about 30%, which is very high right? This was observed
when a stress test was done. Has it something to do specifically when
stress testing?

Regards,
Raga

Raga

Hi Philipp,

I checked the performance statistics when doing a stress test. Maybe,
doing a stress test yields such result??

Regards,
Raga