thread switching? (p. 144 pickaxe2)

7

7stud --

Hi,

On p. 144 in pickaxe2, there are two examples using threads(see below).
Each thread updates a counter, and the function call that updates the
counter is synchronized to prevent simultaneous axis to the counter.
Presumably, one thread doesn't update the counter 100,000 times,
followed by the other thread updating the counter 100,000 times--that
wouldn't execute anything simultaneously, which is the whole point of
threads. Therefore, it seems reasonable to assume that execution
switches between the threads. In fact, there is a table on p. 143 that
illustrates what happens when thread switching occurs in the
unsynchronized case.

But on p. 145, there is an example that creates two threads: a producer
thread and a consumer thread. The consumer thread is regularly put to
sleep while it awaits data from the producer thread, which I assume
would cause execution to switch to the producer thread. However, the
text explains cryptically,

"But because *we* own the monitor, the [producer thread] will never be
able to enter its synchronization block, and will never add something to
the playlist."

First of all, as far as I can tell, I'm the only one in the room reading
the book; there is no "we'. Second of all, I have never and will never
own a monitor object. What kind of description is that? Is pickaxe2 a
children's book about bears eating porridge or something? Maybe in
future versions the author could use a more professional writing style?

In any case, why doesn't thread switching happen in the example on p.
145:

playlist = []
playlist.extend(MonitorMixin)

#Player thread
Thread.new do
record = nil
loop do
puts "*"
playlist.synchronize do
sleep 0.1 while playlist.empty?
record = playlist.shift
end
puts record
end
end

#Customer request thread
Thread.new do
loop do
puts "-"
playlist.synchronize do
playlist << "hello"
end
end
end

and why is the output:

*
-

...yet thread switching does occur in the example on p. 144:

require "monitor"

class Counter
attr_reader :count

def initialize
@count = 0
end
def tick
@count += 1
end
end

c = Counter.new
lock = Monitor.new

t1 = Thread.new do
100_000.times do
lock.synchronize do
c.tick
end
end
end

t2 = Thread.new do
100_000.times do
lock.synchronize do
c.tick
end
end
end

t1.join
t2.join

puts c.count

Morton Goldberg

On p. 144 in pickaxe2, there are two examples using threads(see
below).
Each thread updates a counter, and the function call that updates the
counter is synchronized to prevent simultaneous axis to the counter.

Since you are picky enough to complain about the writing in Pickaxe
2, I feel justified in pointing out that your "axis" should be "access".
In any case, why doesn't thread switching happen in the example on p.
145:

There are two problems with this code.
playlist = []
playlist.extend(MonitorMixin)

#Player thread
Thread.new do
record = nil
loop do
puts "*"
playlist.synchronize do

1. The "while playlist.empty?" causes deadlock.
sleep 0.1 while playlist.empty?
record = playlist.shift
end
puts record
end
end

#Customer request thread
Thread.new do
loop do
puts "-"
playlist.synchronize do
playlist << "hello"
end
end
end

2. The main thread exits immediately killing both child threads.

The following will run for 2 seconds before dying.

<code>
#! /usr/bin/env ruby -w

require "monitor"

playlist = []