Thread was being aborted thrown for background thread (win2003 ser

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?Sm9oYW5uYQ==?=, Oct 14, 2004.

  1. Hello,

    Thread was being aborted exception is thrown by IIS for my asp.net
    application on win2003 server. This error has not yet occured with the same
    asp.net application on
    windows 2000 professional computers that are also lot older and less
    effective. And this error does not occure if this thread is run by console
    application.

    This asp.net gui application starts a background thread that mainly
    reads data from ms access database (approximately 0,5 GB access db)
    with oledb connection and then calculates something and writes to
    another database.

    I have tracked down that this exception is thrown by IIS in the
    following code when the dataadapter should be filled with data from ms
    access database or at least it seems that way after running three test trials.

    OleDbDataAdapter dataadapter = new OleDbDataAdapter(command);
    DataSet ds = new DataSet();
    dataadapter.Fill(ds);

    And this code should be totally OK as such since the same method is
    run about thousand times before this exception is thrown and the
    thread is terminated.

    Has anyone run to same kind of problem ?
    There are many questions in these newsgroups about direct and transfer
    commands sending thread was being aborted, but this is not a case for
    which that situation would apply. This is a new thread created by the
    asp.net code and should run until the operation is finished, but does
    not do that right now.

    I read that IIS could unload application domain by throwing this
    exception if it thinks that a crash,timeout,deadlock or memory has
    been exceeded. But this should not do that since console application
    on the same win2003 server runs just fine and on slower and older
    win2000 machines the application also performs okey on IIS.

    Also tried to change connection timeout parameter of IIS server, but
    it did not help (from 120 to 1200)

    Thank you in advance for reading and for possible answers that might
    help me to figure a way out of this problematic situation.

    BR,
    Johanna
    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9oYW5uYQ==?=, Oct 14, 2004

  2. What happens if you run this as a single thread?
    =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQgU2ltb25z?=, Oct 14, 2004

  3. RE: Thread was being aborted thrown for background thread (win2003

    Hello Scott,

    If I try to run it in a single thread under asp.net you mean? I have not
    tried that, but because the background thread takes a lot of time like 15
    minutes->one hour to complete it is not good practise to put the main GUI
    thread to do this. I mean the UI would not probably wait for that long. But
    maybe I could try to do a test of that kind in any case.

    BR,
    Johanna

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9oYW5uYQ==?=, Oct 14, 2004
  4. RE: Thread was being aborted thrown for background thread (win2003

    "Scott Simons" wrote:

    > What happens if you run this as a single thread?

    I tested this case and what happens is that then IIS does not seem to throw
    thread was being aborted. I run one test case like this and it did perform OK.
    The question is then why is that ? What could I do to my application so that
    the background thread would not be killed...?

    BR,

    Johanna
    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9oYW5uYQ==?=, Oct 15, 2004