    exist, or should I just ask here?

    I'm also looking for recommendations on books about designing
    multi-threaded applications.
    Paul Miller, Mar 3, 2006

  2. Paul Miller wrote:
    > I'm looking for an appropriate newsgroup to ask for input about
    > designing and implementing a good multi-threading system for a
    > consumer/producer-type user interface. Does such a specialized group
    > exist, or should I just ask here?

    Ask here _only_ the questions related to C++ _language_. Since no
    threading is defined in C++, it's rather hard to answer threading
    questions without veering off topic.

    > I'm also looking for recommendations on books about designing
    > multi-threaded applications.

    Ask in comp.programming.threads, I am sure they know.

    Victor Bazarov, Mar 3, 2006

  3. Paul Miller

    Phlip Guest

    Paul Miller wrote:

    > I'm looking for an appropriate newsgroup to ask for input about
    > designing and implementing a good multi-threading system for a
    > consumer/producer-type user interface.

    Never use threads as a substitute for a good design.

    If you start with a clean design, it will be easier to optimize,
    concurrent-ize, or distribute. If you start with an ugly design, and
    prematurely make it concurrent, it will become very hard to make clean.

    And never use threads "because it's a GUI". Event-driven object models are
    always superior to routines with nested loops.

    > Does such a specialized group
    > exist, or should I just ask here?

    Google for a newsgroup that covers your threading library.

    --
    Phlip
    Phlip, Mar 3, 2006
  4. Paul Miller

    Paul Miller Guest

    Victor Bazarov wrote:
    > Paul Miller wrote:
    >> I'm looking for an appropriate newsgroup to ask for input about
    >> designing and implementing a good multi-threading system for a
    >> consumer/producer-type user interface. Does such a specialized group
    >> exist, or should I just ask here?

    > Ask here _only_ the questions related to C++ _language_. Since no
    > threading is defined in C++, it's rather hard to answer threading
    > questions without veering off topic.
    >
    >> I'm also looking for recommendations on books about designing
    >> multi-threaded applications.

    > Ask in comp.programming.threads, I am sure they know.

    Thanks - this is what I was looking for. I didn't see that in my initial
    search for a newsgroup.
    Paul Miller, Mar 4, 2006