    was sent to a browser? What if you want to display a progress bar in a
    browser (it can be a WinForm object), can it be done?

    Thanks

    Lenny Pervin, Jul 5, 2003

  2. Lenny Pervin

    Oisin Grehan Guest

    As much as Microsoft has tried to make ASP.NET look like a winforms
    event-driven architecture, this is purely a facade. Underneath the hood, you
    cannot escape the client-server, question-answer synchronous architecture
    underneath. We are all bound by HTTP at the end of the day. So, short of
    embedding a custom plugin hosted inside of IE that maintains a permanent
    connection to the server, you can't really do this. You can give the an
    illusion of it with some smart use of frames and client-side javascript, but
    this is beyond the scope of a Usenet post. Keep your ASP.NET server-side
    code synchronous and single threaded. Keep multithreaded asynchronous code
    within WinForms. Of course, there are exceptions to this, but it's only a
    guideline.

    Hope this helps,

    - Oisin

    Oisin Grehan, Jul 8, 2003