Threading in a web-based app

Lenny Pervin

Hi,

Has anyone done threading programming in a ASP.NET. any issues with that?
For example how do you inform users when tread is completed after response
was sent to a browser? What if you want to display a progress bar in a
browser (it can be a WinForm object), can it be done?

Thanks

Oisin Grehan

As much as Microsoft has tried to make ASP.NET look like a winforms
event-driven architecture, this is purely a facade. Underneath the hood, you
cannot escape the client-server, question-answer synchronous architecture
underneath. We are all bound by HTTP at the end of the day. So, short of
embedding a custom plugin hosted inside of IE that maintains a permanent
connection to the server, you can't really do this. You can give the an
illusion of it with some smart use of frames and client-side javascript, but
this is beyond the scope of a Usenet post. Keep your ASP.NET server-side
code synchronous and single threaded. Keep multithreaded asynchronous code
within WinForms. Of course, there are exceptions to this, but it's only a
guideline.

Hope this helps,

- Oisin