  1. I am looking for a way to make asynchronous calls with VBScript. Is this even
    possible? Can we start a worker thread? Any other possibilities or
    workarounds?
    asynchronous Threading VBScript, Jan 10, 2008

  2. "asynchronous Threading VBScript" <asynchronous Threading
    > I am looking for a way to make asynchronous calls with VBScript. Is this

    even
    > possible? Can we start a worker thread? Any other possibilities or
    > workarounds?

    It might help if you specified your purpose. Why do you need this?

    For example are you looking to set off a long running task from ASP and have
    it return a response to the user more quickly?

    If so what do you need to happen when the long running task is complete, if
    anything?

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Anthony Jones, Jan 10, 2008

  3. We are looking to speed up the post back of an ASP page that process a form.
    Basically we want the post back handler to do two things asynchronously :

    1. TASK 1: Start a worker thread to complete the actual processing
    2. TASK 2: Display a confirmation message saying that they are done

    When the long running task (TASK 1) is complete the user will NOT get
    another message. We want to do this so the portal response seems faster to
    the user.

    Currently, the confirmation message is displayed after the form processing
    is completed.

    asynchronous Threading VBScript, Jan 11, 2008
  4. "asynchronous Threading VBScript"
    <> wrote in message
    > We are looking to speed up the post back of an ASP page that process a

    form.
    > Basically we want the post back handler to do two things asynchronously :
    >
    > 1. TASK 1: Start a worker thread to complete the actual processing
    > 2. TASK 2: Display a confirmation message saying that they are done
    >
    > When the long running task (TASK 1) is complete the user will NOT get
    > another message. We want to do this so the portal response seems faster to
    > the user.
    >
    > Currently, the confirmation message is displayed after the form processing
    > is completed.

    One approach would be to package the received form data into an XML document
    (along with any session variable values that may be required) and save that
    document to a folder, then return the confirmation.

    Have a VBScript scheduled task scan the folder for these XML files and post
    those files to a page in the site for actual processing. By using WinHTTP
    request it will be possible to control how many long running tasks you want
    have running simultaneously.

    Other approaches that might be considered (although each have some problems)
    are:-

    Create a separate App pool and ASP application and post to it asynchronously
    from the receiving page.

    Use an AJAX solution which posts asynchronously from the client.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Anthony Jones, Jan 11, 2008