Threading Question

Mike Houghton

Hello,

I'm new (very new!) to Ruby but not to programming. I have a
Thread/class inheritance question.I'm trying to make a simple timer
class that extends Thread and repeats a block <count> times and each
repetition separated by <period> seconds. Here's the code

--------------
class Timer < Thread

def initialize( period, count, &action )

puts "Begin initialize"
super
@period = period
@count = count
@action = action
puts "End initialize"

end # initialize

def start

puts "Begin start"

1.upto(@count) do
sleep(@period)
@action.call

end

puts "End start"

end # start

end #class Timer

threads = []

threads << Timer.new(0.77,3){puts "hi"}

threads.each{ |thr| thr.start}

-------

The output is

Begin initialize
hi
End initialize
Begin start
hi
hi
hi
End start

-------

In my ignorance I expected the supplied block not to be executed in
initialize
and to be executed only in the start method. Please would someone
explain where
I'm going wrong and how to correct it.

Many Thanks

Mike

Vincent Fourmond

Hello !

Mike said:
In my ignorance I expected the supplied block not to be executed in
initialize
and to be executed only in the start method. Please would someone
explain where
I'm going wrong and how to correct it.

First reflex, before posting ;-):

ri Thread.new:

------------------------------------------------------------ Thread::new
Thread.new([arg]*) {|args| block } => thread
Creates and runs a new thread to execute the instructions given in
block. Any arguments passed to Thread::new are passed into the
block.

x = Thread.new { sleep 0.1; print "x"; print "y"; print "z" }
a = Thread.new { print "a"; print "b"; sleep 0.2; print "c" }
x.join # Let the threads finish before
a.join # main thread exits...

produces:

abxyzc

So you see, initialize does run the thread. You might want to write an
independent class that would create the thread in the start function.

Ruby comes with an extensive documentation, at least for standard
classes. I know ri isn't that fast, but faster than any reply here ;-)...

Welcome to Ruby, and enjoy !

Vince

Sylvain Joyeux

If a block is supplied to Thread.new, this block becomes the thread main loop.
Calling super without parents is equivalent in your case to
super( period, count, &action )

which is basically doing
Thread.new { puts "hi" }

hence the problem

Stefano Crocco

Vincent said:
So you see, initialize does run the thread. You might want to write an
independent class that would create the thread in the start function.

I'm not a thread expert, but I think that something like this should
work

class Timer
def initialize period, count, &action
@period=period
@count=count
@action=action
end

def start
@count.times do |i|
t=Thread.new do
sleep @period
@action.call
end
t.join
end
end

end

t=Timer.new( 3, 4){puts "hello"}
t.start

Vincent Fourmond

Hello !

Mike said:
[...]

Phlip

Mike said:
I'm new (very new!) to Ruby but not to programming. I have a
Thread/class inheritance question.I'm trying to make a simple timer
class that extends Thread and repeats a block <count> times and each
repetition separated by <period> seconds. Here's the code

Are you coming from Java? It sets a bad example for threading. Don't use it
just for conveniences

Here's an example how Ruby does thready things without the risk and
complexity of threads in your own code:

require 'timeout'
status = Timeout::timeout(5) {
# Something that should be interrupted if it takes too much time...
}

Look up Timeout, and it might do what you need, or lead to a similar
technique.

Vincent Fourmond

Hello !

Phlip said:
Are you coming from Java? It sets a bad example for threading. Don't use
it
just for conveniences

Here's an example how Ruby does thready things without the risk and
complexity of threads in your own code:

require 'timeout'
status = Timeout::timeout(5) {
# Something that should be interrupted if it takes too much time...
}

Look up Timeout, and it might do what you need, or lead to a similar
technique.
Thanks for the comments.
I looked at Timeout and, though it could be used here, I think its for
something more imperative than running a block every n seconds and
besides the block might
not terminate before the timeout.

Vincent Fourmond

Vincent Fourmond wrote:

Sorry for sending three messages, my ?!#$ SMTP server refused to
deliver two messages, but actually did deliver them half an hour later.

Vince

Mike Houghton

I tried Vincent's idea of having an independant class and setting the
thread in a start method. i.e.

class Timer

def initialize( period, count, &action )

@period = period
@count = count
@action = action

end #initialize

def start

Thread.new do
@count.times do
@action.call
#sleep(@period)
end #do
end #do

end #start

end #class Timer

timer = Timer.new( 1,5){puts "x"}
timer.start

This works, but if the sleep(@period) is un-commented it only prints "x"
once. If the sleep line is placed before @action.call then "x" is not
printed at all. I've looked at the documentation for sleep but found no
clues.

Thanks

Mike

Sylvain Joyeux

[previous code snipped]
timer = Timer.new( 1,5){puts "x"}
timer.start
<= the application finishes here

You have to call #join on your thread or the application finishes and the
thread is killed

Sylvain

Mike Houghton

Sylvain said:
[previous code snipped]
timer = Timer.new( 1,5){puts "x"}
timer.start
<= the application finishes here

You have to call #join on your thread or the application finishes and
the
thread is killed

Sylvain

Yes! Thanks, the light just went on...

class Timer

def initialize( period, count, &action )

@period = period
@count = count
@action = action

end #initialize

def start

@thr = Thread.new do
@count.times do
@action.call
sleep(@period)
end #do
end #do

end #start

def join
@thr.join
end

end #class Timer

timer = Timer.new( 1,5){puts "x"}
timer.start
timer.join

Ideally what I'd now like to do is make the Timer class such that I
don't need to have a public join method and the @thr.join is, somehow,
called intrinsically.