Tom St Denis

Poly-poly man said:
I'm a total newbie to threads, but am generally good with c. I'm trying to
run a program that might take a while, but system by itself does not return
until the program is finished. I thought that threads would work, because I
could send system to run on a thread then continue with the program. I
attempted, but it seems too act exactly like just running "system" byu
itself, but it gives me a Segmentation Fault and exits. Can someone PLEASE
show me how to do this correctly?

man daemon

Tom

Frederick Gotham

Andrew Poelstra posted:

My original post did say `full stop', but I decided that that could mean
a period, a semicolon, (perhaps) a comma, a question mark, and a few
others. I decided that just saying `period' would be easier. :)

In my part of the world, (Ireland, Europe), the term "fullstop" unambiguously
refers to the little dot that you put at the end of a sentence -- it never
means semi-colon, comma, etc.

Richard Heathfield

Frederick Gotham said:
Andrew Poelstra posted:

In my part of the world, (Ireland, Europe), the term "fullstop"
unambiguously refers to the little dot that you put at the end of a
sentence -- it never means semi-colon, comma, etc.

In my part of the world (Mercia, British Isles) we put a space at the
half-way point: "full stop".

Frederick Gotham

Richard Heathfield posted:
In my part of the world (Mercia, British Isles) we put a space at the
half-way point: "full stop".

English, as a language, is notorious for its inconsistency when it comes to
the syntax of compound words; the following three terms are acceptable:

hummingbird
humming bird
humming-bird

Michael Wojcik

[Apologies for the late reply; due to the unusually hot weather earlier
this week I was not running my usual Usenet client machine.]

Unless IBM's OS/400 happens to be aka AIX 5L, it is not among the OSes
certified by the OpenGroup.

http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/ibm.htm

I thought OS/400 had received the UNIX 95 brand, back when that was
still current, but it appears that was OS/390. OS/400 PASE is
"designed to meet" UNIX 95:

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/enable/site/porting/iseries/overview/faq_unix.html

but apparently not actually branded.