three columns with CSS

Blinky the Shark

rf said:
Hmmm. I must have offended Mr Site. He appears to have removed his posts
in this thread from googles archive, picked up his bat and ball and gone
home.

Little does he know that these posts remain on usenet servers around the
world for months to come :)

Perhaps he'll go back to the real Google Groups -- the ones that only
other Google Gropers see. He probably just got out here in the real
world by mistake.

Jeff

rf said:
A power point presentation inside a pdf? Surely you jest. This is the web
not the boardroom.

Who amongst us has the nerve to post a link to their own website?

Jeff

asdf

Jeff said:
Who amongst us has the nerve to post a link to their own website?

Oh I have the nerve... I just don't have the time or inclination to massage
the egos of the naysayers afterwards.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 29 Jan 2008 00:24:35
GMT rf scribed:
Hmmm. I must have offended Mr Site.

Mr. Diplomatic you're not. Perhaps you should peruse some of Jukka's posts
in an effort to absorb a modicum of congeniality.
He appears to have removed his
posts in this thread from googles archive, picked up his bat and ball
and gone home.

That happens.
Little does he know that these posts remain on usenet servers around
the world for months to come :)

That happens, too.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 29 Jan 2008 00:33:53
GMT (e-mail address removed) scribed:
Mr. Site thinks you are a stupid prick. He also thinks usenet sucks.

usenet.sucks

Yeah, all of usenet sucks and you're right...

rf may have been a little rough on you, but he can't help it; he was born
that way. And also, I'm curious to know what he said that you believe is
inaccurate...?

Nico Schuyt

Bazley said:
CSS is unbelievably unwieldy. All I want to do is have a page with
three columns. The left and right columns should be fixed width and
the central column should adjust its width to fill in the remaining
space. Such a simple concept is, I believe, virtually impossible to
code. If anyone can do it I would be very impressed.

I don't understand it: there are lots of examples with three columns.
Problems arise when you want equal heights of the columns or borders in
between*.
In that case there is a relation between the 3 columns and a table is
appropriate.
* for example the site of A-OK http://a-ok-site.com/webdesign/index.html:
looks great, but when font-size is enlarged the border between column 1 and
2 is broken.

Chaddy2222

I don't understand it: there are lots of examples with three columns.
Problems arise when you want equal heights of the columns or borders in
between*.
In that case there is a relation between the 3 columns  and a table is
appropriate.
* for example the site of A-OKhttp://a-ok-site.com/webdesign/index.html:
looks great, but when font-size is enlarged the border between column 1 and
2 is broken.
That all depends on how the site is coded.
http://freewebdesignonline.org/wdto/articles/text/is-yourcontent-importent.php

andrew

CSS is unbelievably unwieldy. All I want to do is have a page with
three columns. The left and right columns should be fixed width and
the central column should adjust its width to fill in the remaining
space. Such a simple concept is, I believe, virtually impossible to
code. If anyone can do it I would be very impressed.

Of course many people have done this and the least impressive is a
small template I put together ages ago:

http://www.andrews-corner.org/template_3.html

#leftnav and #rightnav are in ems which is not particularly 'fixed'
but this would be a trivial thing to alter. I stopped working on it
because I have a certain dislike for 3 columns and other people were
doing it so much better :)

Andrew

Chaddy2222

Do you suggest to use px to prevent the text being enlarged (in IE)??
Nah I suggest to use em or % units (to make the text and other
features re-sizeable.
BTW if you want equal hights for a three colum layout you will
probably need to eather use tables or div's with fixxed sizes in PX.

Chaddy2222

Of course many people have done this and the least impressive is a
small template I put together ages ago:

http://www.andrews-corner.org/template_3.html

#leftnav and #rightnav are in ems which is not particularly 'fixed'
but this would be a trivial thing to alter. I stopped working on it
because I have a certain dislike for 3 columns and other people were
doing it so much better :)
TBH, I reckon most sites don't three colums anyway and some that do
probly need to be re-designed to have more pages.

Jeff

Nico said:
I don't understand it: there are lots of examples with three columns.
Problems arise when you want equal heights of the columns or borders in
between*.
In that case there is a relation between the 3 columns and a table is
appropriate.

Don't you guys read this group?

There's a post, originated by myself, on the 22nd about equal height
columns. In it Nik Coughlin completely explains the CSS solution,
Dorayme has a simple fix for center or one side longer, and I have a
drop in javascript for columns anywhere, including rows and rows and
rows of floated thumbs.

All of those adjust to font or browser resizing.

The equal height column Holy Grail has been beat.

Jeff

Nico Schuyt

Jeff said:
Nico Schuyt wrote:
Don't you guys read this group?
There's a post, originated by myself, on the 22nd about equal height
columns. In it Nik Coughlin completely explains the CSS solution,
Dorayme has a simple fix for center or one side longer, and I have a
drop in javascript for columns anywhere, including rows and rows and
rows of floated thumbs.

For those who missed that thread too:
http://websiterepairguru.com/test_full_height_columns.html Javascript
http://www.nrkn.com/3ColEqualPositioned/ Without JS
http://netweaver.com.au/alt/equalColsSimpleTactic.html Without JS

All of those adjust to font or browser resizing.
The equal height column Holy Grail has been beat.

I'm impressed, but not completely convinced. I've tried such things before
and they (my experiments) collapsed in situations where images and other
elements were added :)

Jeff

Nico Schuyt

Well let us know if you do any experiments!

I certainly will! But it will be long before I have time for that.
May I suggest that you continue with your holy mission and present a more
complex example? :)

Jeff

Nico said:
I certainly will! But it will be long before I have time for that.
May I suggest that you continue with your holy mission and present a more
complex example? :)

I'm already using it. I'll post up something later. You know how this
group is, if they can find something to complain about...

Jeff

Nico Schuyt

I'm already using it. I'll post up something later. You know how this
group is, if they can find something to complain about...

So, don't publish it and keep the illusion you've found the Holy Grail :)