three questions

Rocket Scientist

1. I am writing a web page that uses the window.resize command and
window.move to move the window from (almost) full screen to occupying just
the lower half of the screen. However if the user closes my site's window
and restarts their browser it opens in the same "half screen" setting, which
will inconvenience the user. Is there any way I can resize my window in html
without changing the computer's "memory" of the internet explorer window?

2. I want to be able to (again temporarily if possible) change my window to
lose its navigation, menu, and toolbars (so it just looks like a bare window
with no control). Is this possible? One approach might be to open up a
second window with these propeties and close the first one. Trouble is that
when you do this, with MS Internet Explorer it opens a dialog box "the web
site is trying to close the window - do you agree?". Could I use ASP to do
this?

3. If you go to www.hampshire.police.uk/ then the menu items on the left
(News, Recruiting, Police purpose etc) pop up WITHOUT needing a left-click
to make them appear. This is really cool and I want it for my site. What
technology is it? Flash or asp or what?

Cheers, Neil!

C A Upsdell

Rocket said:
1. I am writing a web page that uses the window.resize command and
window.move to move the window from (almost) full screen to occupying just
the lower half of the screen. However if the user closes my site's window
and restarts their browser it opens in the same "half screen" setting, which
will inconvenience the user. Is there any way I can resize my window in html
without changing the computer's "memory" of the internet explorer window?

Why do you want to resize windows? If I run across a site that changes
my window -- it is my window, not yours -- I NEVER return to that site.
2. I want to be able to (again temporarily if possible) change my window to
lose its navigation, menu, and toolbars (so it just looks like a bare window
with no control). Is this possible? One approach might be to open up a
second window with these propeties and close the first one. Trouble is that
when you do this, with MS Internet Explorer it opens a dialog box "the web
site is trying to close the window - do you agree?". Could I use ASP to do
this?

See above.
3. If you go to www.hampshire.police.uk/ then the menu items on the left
(News, Recruiting, Police purpose etc) pop up WITHOUT needing a left-click
to make them appear. This is really cool and I want it for my site. What
technology is it? Flash or asp or what?

It is javascript. If javascript is disabled (which about 11% of users
do, according to TheCounter), there is no menu, so the site is
completely unusable.

Why do you want this for your site?

Oli Filth

Rocket said:
[...]

To answer your first two questions, everyone on this NG will advise you
*not* to write pages which alter the user's windows in any way, because
it's annoying, confusing, unpredictable, and generally pisses users off.
That's a proven fact. You've already spotted one problem this sort of
behaviour leads to.

No user wants the window to unexpectedly move, change size, disappear,
bring up new windows, bring up pop-ups, etc. It's their browser, let
them decide how to use it.

For your 3rd question, the menus run with JavaScript. ASP is a
server-side language. The problem with this is, if the user has
JavaScript disabled, they can't navigate the site *at* *all*.

Hope this helps,
Oli

Rocket Scientist

Thanks for the javascript tip. BTW I'm not in trouble with the police :)

I take on board your other comment about not re-sizing windows: I could set
it up so that if someone goes to my site then by default the window opens up
without any changes. However if you sign in to my site, or indeed click a
button, then the browser is changed in accordance with its function (i.e.
you've consented to the change, hence no irate users). My idea is to have a
web site where relevant information is displayed in a small window along the
bottom of the screen, allowing another window (of ordinary content) to be
displayed above it- covering most of the screen. The small window would list
commenly accessed information: News headlines, current sport scores,
financials, so the user would not have to keep going to another site such as
BBC news to get this - so they save time. So to maximise the amount of
information available I want to get rid of the unnecessary fields and
toolbars.
It is of course necessary to ensure that when the browser window is
re-opened after being closed, it opens with the same settings as previously
set, so the user is not inconvenienced.

Thanks

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Rocket Scientist ([email protected]) feverishly typed...
3. If you go to www.hampshire.police.uk/ then the menu items on the
left (News, Recruiting, Police purpose etc) pop up WITHOUT needing a
left-click to make them appear. This is really cool and I want it for
my site. What technology is it? Flash or asp or what?

Hmmm...... here is a screengrab of that site in Firefox with javascript
disabled: http://www.nigenet.org.uk/stuff/images/hampsconstab.jpg (84K JPEG)

Not very useful!

You can make something a lot better if you have a read of this:
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/horizdropdowns/

As everyone else has said... Do not resize my browser.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Nige

Edwin van der Vaart

C said:
Rocket Scientist wrote:
[snip]
3. If you go to www.hampshire.police.uk/ then the menu items on the left
(News, Recruiting, Police purpose etc) pop up WITHOUT needing a
left-click
to make them appear. This is really cool and I want it for my site. What
technology is it? Flash or asp or what?

It is javascript. If javascript is disabled (which about 11% of users
do, according to TheCounter), there is no menu, so the site is
completely unusable.
Then why not using a combination of css with a css/js hack for IE like
on http://www.evandervaart.nl

Rocket Scientist

Then why not using a combination of css with a css/js hack for IE like
on http://www.evandervaart.nl

Hi yes that's what I want.
I don't know much about the technology, but in your site if I go to "view
source" in Internet Explorer and save this on my PC and open it, it looks
different. What, may I ask, do I need to do to get it working on my web
site?

Thanks

Rocket Scientist

Cool thanks Nigel - you're a star...

--
Nigel Moss
http://www.nigenet.org.uk

Al Jones

My comments interspersed ....

Thanks for the javascript tip. BTW I'm not in trouble with the police :)

I take on board your other comment about not re-sizing windows: I could
set
it up so that if someone goes to my site then by default the window
opens up
without any changes. However if you sign in to my site, or indeed click a
button, then the browser is changed in accordance with its function (i.e.
you've consented to the change, hence no irate users).
You've already gotten it from a couple of others - if *I* want to open a
window *I* will. As I have Opera set up *NO* windows get opened that I
don't specifically clink on a link to ... Is there some *real* reason that
you want to play God with my browser???
My idea is to have a
web site where relevant information is displayed in a small window along
the
bottom of the screen, allowing another window (of ordinary content) to be
displayed above it- covering most of the screen. The small window would
list
commenly accessed information: News headlines, current sport scores,
financials, so the user would not have to keep going to another site
such as
BBC news to get this - so they save time. So to maximise the amount of
information available I want to get rid of the unnecessary fields and
toolbars.
So I can do away with my tabs at the top of my screen and my 'favourites
menu' and ... naw, I don't think so. I have bbc news and npr radio
already on the top of *my* browser. *You* want to get rid of the
unnecessary ... <sarcasm mode> now, that's mighty nice of you, I didn't
realize that setting up my browser *my* way made those items unecessary
..... said:
It is of course necessary to ensure that when the browser window is
re-opened after being closed, it opens with the same settings as
previously
set, so the user is not inconvenienced.

Thanks
You've already suggested that you want to quite enough to 'inconvenience'
most of the users that I know .... you may get a lot of one time visitors
.... but probably not many repeats.

Edwin van der Vaart

Rocket said:
Hi yes that's what I want.
I don't know much about the technology, but in your site if I go to "view
source" in Internet Explorer and save this on my PC and open it, it looks
different.
Because IE always makes a mess.
What, may I ask, do I need to do to get it working on my web
site?
Perhaps you better view-source -> ctrl+a -> ctrl+c -> open notepad ->
ctrl+v -> save as index.html
Do that also with the style.css and the drop_down.jsp

Rocket Scientist

You've already suggested that you want to quite enough to 'inconvenience'
most of the users that I know .... you may get a lot of one time visitors
... but probably not many repeats.

Well the emphasis is on informed choice. As a result of the comments that
have already been made to my three questions I think that the home page will
not apply any modifications by default, but will invite the user to click a
link that will do so, and tell the user what is happening and why.
I'm not really aiming the site at technically able users such as those on
this NG who are quite capable of setting up various favorites, bells, and
whistles, but the average web surfer on the street who doesn't care if
his/her browser is hijacked as long as it gives them the
information/functionality that they need/want.
In any case, with a bit of luck, the settings will revert back to what they
were after the user closes their window.

Actually I've changed my view a little again, in order to try to fit in with
the customs of responsible web page authors. What will happen now when the
user clicks the "go" button on my site it will leave the original window in
place unchanged, and open what is basically a popup window containing all
the goodies...

Thanks for your comments.

Edwin van der Vaart

nice.guy.nige said:
While the city slept, Edwin van der Vaart feverishly typed...

Google is my friend. ;-)
Mine too. However, when somebody found the link which you're looking
for. Then why keep on searching.