three questions

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Rocket Scientist, Jan 2, 2005.

  1. 1. I am writing a web page that uses the window.resize command and
    window.move to move the window from (almost) full screen to occupying just
    the lower half of the screen. However if the user closes my site's window
    and restarts their browser it opens in the same "half screen" setting, which
    will inconvenience the user. Is there any way I can resize my window in html
    without changing the computer's "memory" of the internet explorer window?

    2. I want to be able to (again temporarily if possible) change my window to
    lose its navigation, menu, and toolbars (so it just looks like a bare window
    with no control). Is this possible? One approach might be to open up a
    second window with these propeties and close the first one. Trouble is that
    when you do this, with MS Internet Explorer it opens a dialog box "the web
    site is trying to close the window - do you agree?". Could I use ASP to do
    this?

    3. If you go to www.hampshire.police.uk/ then the menu items on the left
    (News, Recruiting, Police purpose etc) pop up WITHOUT needing a left-click
    to make them appear. This is really cool and I want it for my site. What
    technology is it? Flash or asp or what?

    Cheers, Neil!

    Rocket Scientist, Jan 2, 2005

  2. Rocket Scientist

    C A Upsdell Guest

    Rocket Scientist wrote:
    > 1. I am writing a web page that uses the window.resize command and
    > window.move to move the window from (almost) full screen to occupying just
    > the lower half of the screen. However if the user closes my site's window
    > and restarts their browser it opens in the same "half screen" setting, which
    > will inconvenience the user. Is there any way I can resize my window in html
    > without changing the computer's "memory" of the internet explorer window?

    Why do you want to resize windows? If I run across a site that changes
    my window -- it is my window, not yours -- I NEVER return to that site.

    > 2. I want to be able to (again temporarily if possible) change my window to
    > lose its navigation, menu, and toolbars (so it just looks like a bare window
    > with no control). Is this possible? One approach might be to open up a
    > second window with these propeties and close the first one. Trouble is that
    > when you do this, with MS Internet Explorer it opens a dialog box "the web
    > site is trying to close the window - do you agree?". Could I use ASP to do
    > this?

    See above.

    > 3. If you go to www.hampshire.police.uk/ then the menu items on the left
    > (News, Recruiting, Police purpose etc) pop up WITHOUT needing a left-click
    > to make them appear. This is really cool and I want it for my site. What
    > technology is it? Flash or asp or what?

    It is javascript. If javascript is disabled (which about 11% of users
    do, according to TheCounter), there is no menu, so the site is
    completely unusable.

    Why do you want this for your site?

    C A Upsdell, Jan 2, 2005

  3. Rocket Scientist

    Oli Filth Guest

    Rocket Scientist wrote:
    > 1. I am writing a web page that uses the window.resize command and
    > window.move to move the window from (almost) full screen to occupying just
    > the lower half of the screen. However if the user closes my site's window
    > and restarts their browser it opens in the same "half screen" setting, which
    > will inconvenience the user. Is there any way I can resize my window in html
    > without changing the computer's "memory" of the internet explorer window?
    >

    > 2. I want to be able to (again temporarily if possible) change my window to
    > lose its navigation, menu, and toolbars (so it just looks like a bare window
    > with no control). Is this possible? One approach might be to open up a
    > second window with these propeties and close the first one. Trouble is that
    > when you do this, with MS Internet Explorer it opens a dialog box "the web
    > site is trying to close the window - do you agree?". Could I use ASP to do
    > this?
    >

    > 3. If you go to www.hampshire.police.uk/ then the menu items on the left
    > (News, Recruiting, Police purpose etc) pop up WITHOUT needing a left-click
    > to make them appear. This is really cool and I want it for my site. What
    > technology is it? Flash or asp or what?
    >

    > Cheers, Neil!

    To answer your first two questions, everyone on this NG will advise you
    *not* to write pages which alter the user's windows in any way, because
    it's annoying, confusing, unpredictable, and generally pisses users off.
    That's a proven fact. You've already spotted one problem this sort of
    behaviour leads to.

    No user wants the window to unexpectedly move, change size, disappear,
    bring up new windows, bring up pop-ups, etc. It's their browser, let
    them decide how to use it.

    For your 3rd question, the menus run with JavaScript. ASP is a
    server-side language. The problem with this is, if the user has
    JavaScript disabled, they can't navigate the site *at* *all*.

    Hope this helps,
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Jan 2, 2005
  4. Thanks for the javascript tip. BTW I'm not in trouble with the police :)

    I take on board your other comment about not re-sizing windows: I could set
    it up so that if someone goes to my site then by default the window opens up
    without any changes. However if you sign in to my site, or indeed click a
    button, then the browser is changed in accordance with its function (i.e.
    you've consented to the change, hence no irate users). My idea is to have a
    web site where relevant information is displayed in a small window along the
    bottom of the screen, allowing another window (of ordinary content) to be
    displayed above it- covering most of the screen. The small window would list
    commenly accessed information: News headlines, current sport scores,
    financials, so the user would not have to keep going to another site such as
    BBC news to get this - so they save time. So to maximise the amount of
    information available I want to get rid of the unnecessary fields and
    toolbars.
    It is of course necessary to ensure that when the browser window is
    re-opened after being closed, it opens with the same settings as previously
    set, so the user is not inconvenienced.

    Thanks

    Rocket Scientist, Jan 2, 2005
  5. While the city slept, Rocket Scientist () feverishly typed...

    > 3. If you go to www.hampshire.police.uk/ then the menu items on the
    > left (News, Recruiting, Police purpose etc) pop up WITHOUT needing a
    > left-click to make them appear. This is really cool and I want it for
    > my site. What technology is it? Flash or asp or what?

    Hmmm...... here is a screengrab of that site in Firefox with javascript
    disabled: http://www.nigenet.org.uk/stuff/images/hampsconstab.jpg (84K JPEG)

    Not very useful!

    You can make something a lot better if you have a read of this:
    http://www.alistapart.com/articles/horizdropdowns/

    As everyone else has said... Do not resize my browser.

    Hope that helps.

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk

    nice.guy.nige, Jan 2, 2005
  6. C A Upsdell > wrote:
    > Rocket Scientist wrote:

    [snip]

    >> 3. If you go to www.hampshire.police.uk/ then the menu items on the left
    >> (News, Recruiting, Police purpose etc) pop up WITHOUT needing a
    >> left-click
    >> to make them appear. This is really cool and I want it for my site. What
    >> technology is it? Flash or asp or what?

    > It is javascript. If javascript is disabled (which about 11% of users
    > do, according to TheCounter), there is no menu, so the site is
    > completely unusable.

    Then why not using a combination of css with a css/js hack for IE like
    on http://www.evandervaart.nl
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    Edwin van der Vaart, Jan 2, 2005

  7. > Then why not using a combination of css with a css/js hack for IE like
    > on http://www.evandervaart.nl
    > --
    > Edwin van der Vaart
    > http://www.semi-conductor.nl/ Links to Semiconductors sites
    > http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Under construction

    Hi yes that's what I want.
    I don't know much about the technology, but in your site if I go to "view
    source" in Internet Explorer and save this on my PC and open it, it looks
    different. What, may I ask, do I need to do to get it working on my web
    site?

    Thanks

    Rocket Scientist, Jan 2, 2005
  8. Cool thanks Nigel - you're a star...

    Rocket Scientist, Jan 2, 2005
  9. Rocket Scientist

    Al Jones Guest

    My comments interspersed ....

    On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 21:22:55 -0000, Rocket Scientist <> wrote:

    > Thanks for the javascript tip. BTW I'm not in trouble with the police :)
    >
    > I take on board your other comment about not re-sizing windows: I could
    > set
    > it up so that if someone goes to my site then by default the window
    > opens up
    > without any changes. However if you sign in to my site, or indeed click a
    > button, then the browser is changed in accordance with its function (i.e.
    > you've consented to the change, hence no irate users).

    You've already gotten it from a couple of others - if *I* want to open a
    window *I* will. As I have Opera set up *NO* windows get opened that I
    don't specifically clink on a link to ... Is there some *real* reason that
    you want to play God with my browser???

    > My idea is to have a
    > web site where relevant information is displayed in a small window along
    > the
    > bottom of the screen, allowing another window (of ordinary content) to be
    > displayed above it- covering most of the screen. The small window would
    > list
    > commenly accessed information: News headlines, current sport scores,
    > financials, so the user would not have to keep going to another site
    > such as
    > BBC news to get this - so they save time. So to maximise the amount of
    > information available I want to get rid of the unnecessary fields and
    > toolbars.

    So I can do away with my tabs at the top of my screen and my 'favourites
    menu' and ... naw, I don't think so. I have bbc news and npr radio
    already on the top of *my* browser. *You* want to get rid of the
    unnecessary ... <sarcasm mode> now, that's mighty nice of you, I didn't
    realize that setting up my browser *my* way made those items unecessary
    ..... </sarcasm mode>

    > It is of course necessary to ensure that when the browser window is
    > re-opened after being closed, it opens with the same settings as
    > previously
    > set, so the user is not inconvenienced.
    >
    > Thanks

    You've already suggested that you want to quite enough to 'inconvenience'
    most of the users that I know .... you may get a lot of one time visitors
    .... but probably not many repeats.

    Al Jones, Jan 2, 2005
  10. Rocket Scientist wrote:
    >>Then why not using a combination of css with a css/js hack for IE like
    >>on http://www.evandervaart.nl

    > Hi yes that's what I want.
    > I don't know much about the technology, but in your site if I go to "view
    > source" in Internet Explorer and save this on my PC and open it, it looks
    > different.

    Because IE always makes a mess.
    > What, may I ask, do I need to do to get it working on my web
    > site?

    Perhaps you better view-source -> ctrl+a -> ctrl+c -> open notepad ->
    ctrl+v -> save as index.html
    Do that also with the style.css and the drop_down.jsp
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    Edwin van der Vaart, Jan 3, 2005
  11. Edwin van der Vaart, Jan 3, 2005
  12. > >
    > You've already suggested that you want to quite enough to 'inconvenience'
    > most of the users that I know .... you may get a lot of one time visitors
    > ... but probably not many repeats.

    Well the emphasis is on informed choice. As a result of the comments that
    have already been made to my three questions I think that the home page will
    not apply any modifications by default, but will invite the user to click a
    link that will do so, and tell the user what is happening and why.
    I'm not really aiming the site at technically able users such as those on
    this NG who are quite capable of setting up various favorites, bells, and
    whistles, but the average web surfer on the street who doesn't care if
    his/her browser is hijacked as long as it gives them the
    information/functionality that they need/want.
    In any case, with a bit of luck, the settings will revert back to what they
    were after the user closes their window.

    Actually I've changed my view a little again, in order to try to fit in with
    the customs of responsible web page authors. What will happen now when the
    user clicks the "go" button on my site it will leave the original window in
    place unchanged, and open what is basically a popup window containing all
    the goodies...

    Thanks for your comments.

    Rocket Scientist, Jan 3, 2005
  13. While the city slept, Edwin van der Vaart ()
    feverishly typed...

    > nice.guy.nige wrote:
    >>
    >> You can make something a lot better if you have a read of this:
    >> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/horizdropdowns/

    > Thanx for finding the page.
    > I did lost that one, because I had to re-install mine Red Hat 9
    > machine.

    Google is my friend. ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk

    nice.guy.nige, Jan 3, 2005
  14. nice.guy.nige wrote:
    > While the city slept, Edwin van der Vaart feverishly typed...
    >>nice.guy.nige wrote:
    >>
    >>>You can make something a lot better if you have a read of this:
    >>>http://www.alistapart.com/articles/horizdropdowns/

    >>Thanx for finding the page.
    >>I did lost that one, because I had to re-install mine Red Hat 9
    >>machine.

    > Google is my friend. ;-)

    Mine too. However, when somebody found the link which you're looking
    for. Then why keep on searching.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    Edwin van der Vaart, Jan 11, 2005