Throw errors firm-wide to a web service?

Burt

My company is thinking of throwing all unhandled exceptions from all
apps firm-wide to a web service that could then write to log, notify
support, etc.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? Seems like a good idea- otherwise
you have to code home brewed error handling in each app.

Thanks,

Burt

John Saunders

Burt said:
My company is thinking of throwing all unhandled exceptions from all
apps firm-wide to a web service that could then write to log, notify
support, etc.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? Seems like a good idea- otherwise
you have to code home brewed error handling in each app.

What do you do when there's a network problem?

You should probably not depend on the network for persistence of any
important information. You'll want to persist it to local storage first, and
then possibly send it to the network.

I also wonder why you're thinking of creating your own solution, when this
has been done before? Why not use one of the mechanisms for reporting
system-wide problems, like the system event log and the many add-ons which
can do things like consolidate event logs?

Also, see
http://msdn.microsoft.com/practices...aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnpag2/html/ehab.asp
for the Microsoft Exception Handling Application Block.

John