Thumbnail gif Question.

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2008-12-22, Neredbojias wrote:
But can these pop-up blockers be set to ignore "pop-ups" created by the
"target=_blank" attribute?

Isn't the primary use of pop-up blockers?
I know they work on j/s pop-ups

They do?

I think you have it backwards.

Raymond Schmit

Why not make browsers ignore the target attribute altogether? I believe
most (maybe all) modern browsers already have the "open in a new window"
option available in the right-click context menu already. -Or at least
have a "preferences" setting which allows ignoring targets.

Yes .... but why not having also the "open in the same window"
option. ?

Neredbojias

On 2008-12-22, Neredbojias wrote:

Isn't the primary use of pop-up blockers?

Not in my setup. Right now, target=_blank still opens a new window (I
have tabs disabled) whereas at least some j/s doesn't.
They do?

I think you have it backwards.

I'll look into the target thing and let you know.

Neredbojias

Yes .... but why not having also the "open in the same window"
option. ?

It wouldn't be needed if the browser couldn't open a page in another
window except by direct command. And that _is_ what I'm advocating.

Raymond Schmit

It wouldn't be needed if the browser couldn't open a page in another
window except by direct command. And that _is_ what I'm advocating.

Yes .... but sometimes, it's perfectly a good solution to
automatically open in a new window ... A webmaster permit me to add a
page in his site if a agreed that he will put a link of my page which
will be opened in a new window. and i agreed with him, that's a very
good solution ... Otherwise you may have a site inside a site, with é
menus...

Neredbojias

Yes .... but sometimes, it's perfectly a good solution to
automatically open in a new window ...

A good "solution" for who? Certainly not the user who isn't aware of
every site's particular "automatics".
A webmaster permit me to add a
page in his site if a agreed that he will put a link of my page which
will be opened in a new window. and i agreed with him, that's a very
good solution ... Otherwise you may have a site inside a site, with é
menus...

A non-new window doesn't equate to a site-inside-a-site at all; that
might be iframes and objects - possibly. I do admit that a new window
can be advantageous in allowing the user to have 2 (or more) windows,
old & "new", open simultaneously, but the option should be exercised at
his discretion only, not at the whim of some dubious webmaster. In my
opinion, a link should _always_ open in the main navigation stream
_unless_ the user and only the user opts otherwise.

Possibly a case could be made for having a preferences setting
dictating all windows be new and then having the context-menu override
for "same window", but that's stretching it a bit, no?

Raymond Schmit

A good "solution" for who? Certainly not the user who isn't aware of
every site's particular "automatics".

A non-new window doesn't equate to a site-inside-a-site at all; that
might be iframes and objects - possibly. I do admit that a new window
can be advantageous in allowing the user to have 2 (or more) windows,
old & "new", open simultaneously, but the option should be exercised at
his discretion only, not at the whim of some dubious webmaster. In my
opinion, a link should _always_ open in the main navigation stream
_unless_ the user and only the user opts otherwise.

Possibly a case could be made for having a preferences setting
dictating all windows be new and then having the context-menu override
for "same window", but that's stretching it a bit, no?

Ok, i shoud say that you are true .... but try to :

1. Go to http://www.lesvieillesbranches.c.la/
2. Click on the menu at "NATURANDO"
3. Then on the main frame, click on: Cliquer ici pour visiter le site
de h t t p://www.naturando.be

The result is very bad ...

Jonathan N. Little

Raymond said:
Ok, i shoud say that you are true .... but try to :

1. Go to http://www.lesvieillesbranches.c.la/
2. Click on the menu at "NATURANDO"
3. Then on the main frame, click on: Cliquer ici pour visiter le site
de h t t p://www.naturando.be

The result is very bad ...

Because of frames the designer did not take care *not* to frame the the
offsite page...

the *proper* solution is *not* to open in a new page, but to open link
in *top* frame

Neredbojias

Ok, i shoud say that you are true .... but try to :

1. Go to http://www.lesvieillesbranches.c.la/
2. Click on the menu at "NATURANDO"
3. Then on the main frame, click on: Cliquer ici pour visiter le
site de h t t p://www.naturando.be

The result is very bad ...

That's because the "ubersite" is using frames.

I agree with Jonathan's comments on this (target="_top") although
technically target is invalid in a strict-doctype page. However,
removing "target" was probably a mistake and not the only one the html
"powers" have made in the last decade or so.

Jonathan N. Little

Neredbojias said:
That's because the "ubersite" is using frames.

I agree with Jonathan's comments on this (target="_top") although
technically target is invalid in a strict-doctype page.

But the "ubersite" is not using strict-doctype, in fact not using *any*
doctype so allowable is a loose doctype.

However,
removing "target" was probably a mistake and not the only one the html
"powers" have made in the last decade or so.

Not sure...if you don't use frames in most cases target is not
needed...if you must you can use JavaScript to and it as an optional
"feature".

Raymond Schmit

Because of frames the designer did not take care *not* to frame the the
offsite page...

the *proper* solution is *not* to open in a new page, but to open link
in *top* frame

If the first site permit to open on top, he will loose the visitor -
the best way of not loosing the visitor, and to avoid the imbrication
of two sites.... is to open in a new window.

Jonathan N. Little

Raymond said:
If the first site permit to open on top, he will loose the visitor -
the best way of not loosing the visitor, and to avoid the imbrication
of two sites.... is to open in a new window.

No, there is a mechanism for the visitor to come back to your site, it's
the *back* button. If your site is worth returning to your visitor will
return.

Neredbojias

But the "ubersite" is not using strict-doctype, in fact not using
*any* doctype so allowable is a loose doctype.

No argument here, but the OP does seem intent upon making his page/site
as good as it can be and to do that he should follow accepted rules and
optimal procedures for same.
Not sure...if you don't use frames in most cases target is not
needed...if you must you can use JavaScript to and it as an optional
"feature".

As I implied, if browsers themselves ignored page-stated targets and
simply defaulted to the norm (-in a non-frames situation), things would
be hunky. As for frames, the html kahunas have been trying to get rid
of them for years, anyway, haven't they?

Jonathan N. Little

Neredbojias said:
On 26 Dec 2008, "Jonathan N. Little" <[email protected]> wrote:
As I implied, if browsers themselves ignored page-stated targets and
simply defaulted to the norm (-in a non-frames situation), things would
be hunky. As for frames, the html kahunas have been trying to get rid
of them for years, anyway, haven't they?

No argument from me there. Cannot stand framed sites and really despise
links that launch a new window...I am sure I am not alone.

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
Cannot stand framed sites

No matter that they sometimes work *nicely enough*, are great for some
limited purpose like showing off some enlargements to thumbnails on side
frame. This means that you are letting your knowledge about their faults
bias you. Tut tut, Jonathan.

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
No matter that they sometimes work *nicely enough*, are great for some
limited purpose like showing off some enlargements to thumbnails on side
frame. This means that you are letting your knowledge about their faults
bias you. Tut tut, Jonathan.
I will say this, rather use a frame site than one that keep pumping out
new windows