Thumbnail preview in firefox

Ahmadji

i just wana say it will be very nice when firefox will start firefox
Thumbnail preview in firefox same like AOL explorer or Opera browser
thanks
Google Lover

Roy Schestowitz

__/ [ Jonathan N. Little ] on Friday 21 April 2006 17:34 \__
Did you bother to look for an extension?

https://addons.mozilla.org/search.php?q=thumbnail+preview&type=A&app=firefox
Search :: Mozilla Addons :: Add Features to Mozilla Software

Wow! I am glad I read this thread. This is an excellent plug-in, which I have
just installed.

I'll see how much of an issue/nuisance speed shall become in a couple of
days. It's the only drawback I can think of. It seems as though screenshots
are taken off-line and delivered from some service like Alexa, whom I know
get front page screenshots. I remember the day when I only dreamed of such
advancements that can become bandwidth greedy...

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/07/02/screenshots-on-links/

Best wishes,

Roy

Jonathan N. Little

Roy said:
__/ [ Jonathan N. Little ] on Friday 21 April 2006 17:34 \__
Did you bother to look for an extension?

https://addons.mozilla.org/search.php?q=thumbnail+preview&type=A&app=firefox
Search :: Mozilla Addons :: Add Features to Mozilla Software

Wow! I am glad I read this thread. This is an excellent plug-in, which I have
just installed.

I'll see how much of an issue/nuisance speed shall become in a couple of
days. It's the only drawback I can think of. It seems as though screenshots
are taken off-line and delivered from some service like Alexa, whom I know
get front page screenshots. I remember the day when I only dreamed of such
advancements that can become bandwidth greedy...

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/07/02/screenshots-on-links/

I wish folks could wrap their mind around that concept that Firefox *is
not* like IE bloatware where pile everything and the kitchen sink into
it whether or not the user needs it, (guess you have to justify the
price somehow).

Firefox basically 'al la carte', only add what you need. If you are a
web developer add the great Web Developer's Bar if not then don't!
Firefox natively does not have any real searching with bookmarks, but
there is a great little extension that added full sophisticated
searching for your bookmarks.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, Roy Schestowitz
https://addons.mozilla.org/search.php?q=thumbnail+preview&type=A&app=fi
refox

Wow! I am glad I read this thread. This is an excellent plug-in, which
I have just installed.

I'll see how much of an issue/nuisance speed shall become in a couple
of days. It's the only drawback I can think of. It seems as though
screenshots are taken off-line and delivered from some service like
Alexa, whom I know get front page screenshots. I remember the day when
I only dreamed of such advancements that can become bandwidth
greedy...

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/07/02/screenshots-on-links/

I wonder if it's a mortal sin to covet thy neighbour's favicon?

Nice page, btw.

frederick

Neredbojias said:
To further the education of mankind, Roy Schestowitz

I wonder if it's a mortal sin to covet thy neighbour's favicon?

It is when they're animated!!

And the arrow-based navigation is... "interesting".
Nice page, btw.

{sobs}

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "frederick"
It is when they're animated!!

Then I'm in luck. My neighbours are a sedentary lot (unless you slip a
little grain alcohol in their geritol.)

Roy Schestowitz

__/ [ Neredbojias ] on Saturday 22 April 2006 04:25 \__
To further the education of mankind, "frederick"

People seem to hate it actually. I have received complaints (requests for
removal, desire for a plug-ins that disables such motion). Its effect
offline (when steering away) can be seen among the bookmarks, which is
somewhat of a nuisance to most. I simply got used to it, but others have not
because it stands out too strongly.

Speaking of favicons, last week I realised that Firefox 1.5 makes a
favicon-like preview/thumbnail for pages that are purely images. Same for
videos one day? Sounds on MouseHover?

Then I'm in luck. My neighbours are a sedentary lot (unless you slip a
little grain alcohol in their geritol.)

Thanks for the compliment. *smile* I lost confidence in the odd design of
that page -- a design that goes back to late 2004.

FWIW, I put up instructions for animated favicons at
http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/12/05/animated-favicons/ . I
worked on this as soon as I had come across the first animated favicon, so I
might be among the first few thousands(?). It's rare and unusual, so it
leaves a mental mark, I think.

Jonathan N. Little

Roy said:
__/ [ Neredbojias ] on Saturday 22 April 2006 04:25 \__
To further the education of mankind, "frederick"

People seem to hate it actually. I have received complaints (requests for
removal, desire for a plug-ins that disables such motion). Its effect
offline (when steering away) can be seen among the bookmarks, which is
somewhat of a nuisance to most. I simply got used to it, but others have not
because it stands out too strongly.

It is very captivating! Might I suggest slowing down the frame rate a
bit, it might be the whizzing speed of it that bothers some. A little
subtler would captivate the eye without being to distracting because in
the end you want them reading your page not staring at the address bar! ;-)
Speaking of favicons, last week I realised that Firefox 1.5 makes a
favicon-like preview/thumbnail for pages that are purely images. Same for
videos one day? Sounds on MouseHover?

Thanks for the compliment. *smile* I lost confidence in the odd design of
that page -- a design that goes back to late 2004.

FWIW, I put up instructions for animated favicons at
http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/12/05/animated-favicons/ . I
worked on this as soon as I had come across the first animated favicon, so I
might be among the first few thousands(?). It's rare and unusual, so it
leaves a mental mark, I think.

Your just using an animated GIF, simple yet clever.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, Roy Schestowitz
People seem to hate it actually. I have received complaints (requests
for removal, desire for a plug-ins that disables such motion). Its
effect offline (when steering away) can be seen among the bookmarks,
which is somewhat of a nuisance to most. I simply got used to it, but
others have not because it stands out too strongly.

I'm a bit the other way. I like it at first but would surely tire of/grow
annoyed with it in time, like mouse trails or marquees.
Speaking of favicons, last week I realised that Firefox 1.5 makes a
favicon-like preview/thumbnail for pages that are purely images. Same
for videos one day? Sounds on MouseHover?

I hope not; too many gimmicks. Basically, that's at least one reason why
people disable javascript.
Thanks for the compliment. *smile* I lost confidence in the odd design
of that page -- a design that goes back to late 2004.

FWIW, I put up instructions for animated favicons at
http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/12/05/animated-favicons/ .
I worked on this as soon as I had come across the first animated
favicon, so I might be among the first few thousands(?). It's rare and
unusual, so it leaves a mental mark, I think.

I'm sure the devil in me will make me check it out - strictly against my
better judgment, of course. :)

Roy Schestowitz

__/ [ frederick ] on Saturday 22 April 2006 07:56 \__
Or a scar!

I think I'll go and have a lie-down, now. The spinning! It won't
stop!!

*LOL*

J. Little made a good point. It's quite fast, yet it would be hard to change.
I wanted to maximal frame rate that is well received by the eye, so the logo
completes a spin in one second and 24 frames.

Best wishes,

Roy

Ed Mullen

Neredbojias said:
To further the education of mankind, Roy Schestowitz

I'm a bit the other way. I like it at first but would surely tire of/grow
annoyed with it in time, like mouse trails or marquees.

I hope not; too many gimmicks. Basically, that's at least one reason why
people disable javascript.

I'm sure the devil in me will make me check it out - strictly against my
better judgment, of course. :)

It's interesting, at least from an academic standpoint. Not sure that
I'd employ it on my site. Perhaps the best approach would be to make
the animation cycle a specific number of times and then go static (as
some of the following do). Still, some interesting examples:

http://www.google.com/search?query=animated favicons&num=50
http://www.999tutorials.com/tutorial-create-an-animated-favicon.html
http://www.pod1.com/
http://www.daredigital.com/
http://www.pokelondon.com/

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Roy Schestowitz

__/ [ Jonathan N. Little ] on Saturday 22 April 2006 13:33 \__
Roy said:
__/ [ Neredbojias ] on Saturday 22 April 2006 04:25 \__
To further the education of mankind, "frederick"
<[email protected]> vouchsafed:

Neredbojias wrote:
To further the education of mankind, Roy Schestowitz
<[email protected]> vouchsafed:
http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/07/02/screenshots-on-lin
ks/
I wonder if it's a mortal sin to covet thy neighbour's favicon?

People seem to hate it actually. I have received complaints (requests for
removal, desire for a plug-ins that disables such motion). Its effect
offline (when steering away) can be seen among the bookmarks, which is
somewhat of a nuisance to most. I simply got used to it, but others have
not because it stands out too strongly.

It is very captivating! Might I suggest slowing down the frame rate a
bit, it might be the whizzing speed of it that bothers some. A little
subtler would captivate the eye without being to distracting because in
the end you want them reading your page not staring at the address bar! ;-)

Judging by recent statistics, only about 40% of the visitors will have
something displayed in the address bar. Firefox ix becoming more of a
'problem' by the day. *grin*

Your just using an animated GIF, simple yet clever.

Thanks. I wonder why I stopped posting to alt.html... I know you are a
long-time regular. I think the crossposts from alt.2600 are partly to blame
for what drove me away. I am glad to see that the NG returned to being a
friendly groups with substance and regulars (Gosh, just not Luigi), so I
hope to return more often.

With kind regards,

Roy

frederick

Ed said:
It's interesting, at least from an academic standpoint. Not sure that
I'd employ it on my site.

My initial thought process quickly went something along these lines:
1. Oh, that's clever/different!
2. Must be an animated GIF.
3. I wonder if he's linked to a GIF file proper or has found some way
to hack an ICO?
4. Was that a stupid question?
5. I could see this thing starting to get annoying after a short
period of time.
6. This is starting to get on my nerves.
7. Make it stop!!

It really is horribly distracting in Firefox, since it's still chugging
along in your peripheral vision even when another tab is being used.

Nothing wrong with having it up as a proof-of-concept, though!

Jonathan N. Little

Roy said:
__/ [ Jonathan N. Little ] on Saturday 22 April 2006 13:33 \__
It is very captivating! Might I suggest slowing down the frame rate a
bit, it might be the whizzing speed of it that bothers some. A little
subtler would captivate the eye without being to distracting because in
the end you want them reading your page not staring at the address bar! ;-)

Judging by recent statistics, only about 40% of the visitors will have
something displayed in the address bar. Firefox ix becoming more of a
'problem' by the day. *grin*

I edited it and changed the rate from 4ms to 10ms and the animation
remained smooth to the eyes just a little less caffeine-enhanced! ;-)

Neredbojias

It's interesting, at least from an academic standpoint. Not sure that
I'd employ it on my site. Perhaps the best approach would be to make
the animation cycle a specific number of times and then go static (as
some of the following do). Still, some interesting examples:

http://www.google.com/search?query=animated favicons&num=50
http://www.999tutorials.com/tutorial-create-an-animated-favicon.html
http://www.pod1.com/
http://www.daredigital.com/
http://www.pokelondon.com/

They were interesting, but I think I'm really a traditionalist at heart. I
might use one on a small "fronting" page or something but probably not on a
main site page. I noticed at least 2 of those links had top-level Flash
includes, too (-which I didn't get as I don't have the plugin installed,
hooray!)

Ed Mullen

Jonathan said:
Roy said:
__/ [ Jonathan N. Little ] on Saturday 22 April 2006 13:33 \__
It is very captivating! Might I suggest slowing down the frame rate a
bit, it might be the whizzing speed of it that bothers some. A little
subtler would captivate the eye without being to distracting because in
the end you want them reading your page not staring at the address
bar! ;-)

Judging by recent statistics, only about 40% of the visitors will have
something displayed in the address bar. Firefox ix becoming more of a
'problem' by the day. *grin*

I edited it and changed the rate from 4ms to 10ms and the animation
remained smooth to the eyes just a little less caffeine-enhanced! ;-)

As someone whose ritual includes a visit to Starbucks every morning for
a Triple Grande Latte, I, for one, applaud you! :-D Hey, I'm revved up
enough without all that spinning around thing going on. Geez. I
couldn't figure out whether to puke or go back to Starbucks. Or back to
bed. Yeah, yeah, I know, it's my problem. ;-)

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Ed Mullen

frederick said:
My initial thought process quickly went something along these lines:
1. Oh, that's clever/different!
2. Must be an animated GIF.
3. I wonder if he's linked to a GIF file proper or has found some way
to hack an ICO?
4. Was that a stupid question?
5. I could see this thing starting to get annoying after a short
period of time.
6. This is starting to get on my nerves.
7. Make it stop!!

It really is horribly distracting in Firefox, since it's still chugging
along in your peripheral vision even when another tab is being used.

Nothing wrong with having it up as a proof-of-concept, though!

LOL. Yeah, the whole peripheral vision thing got to me. The more I
tried to ignore it ... etc. Still, isn't it like anything else in this
milieu? We get averse to newness, carp about change, then see the
technique evolve and go: "Hey! Not bad! Pretty cool! Can't complain!"
(with apologies to John Prine) "... actually, everything is just about
the same." ref: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/j/john-prine/74744.html

And here's the good it's a 16 x 16 graphic. Imagine, if you will,
if it would scale up to, say, 640 x 640!!! OMIGOD! Uh, digital cameras,
no inhibitions, ... etc. Ooooo! Yeah, thank God, "... actually,
everything is just about the same." ;-)

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
http://mozilla.edmullen.net
http://abington.edmullen.net
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to
put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence. - Mahatma Gandhi