Thumbnail preview in firefox

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Ahmadji@gmail.com, Apr 21, 2006.

  1. Guest

    i just wana say it will be very nice when firefox will start firefox
    Thumbnail preview in firefox same like AOL explorer or Opera browser
    ....
    thanks
    Google Lover
    , Apr 21, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Jonathan N. Little, Apr 21, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. __/ [ Jonathan N. Little ] on Friday 21 April 2006 17:34 \__

    > wrote:
    >> i just wana say it will be very nice when firefox will start firefox
    >> Thumbnail preview in firefox same like AOL explorer or Opera browser
    >> ...
    >> thanks
    >> Google Lover
    >>

    >
    > Did you bother to look for an extension?
    >
    >

    https://addons.mozilla.org/search.php?q=thumbnail preview&type=A&app=firefox
    > Search :: Mozilla Addons :: Add Features to Mozilla Software


    Wow! I am glad I read this thread. This is an excellent plug-in, which I have
    just installed.

    I'll see how much of an issue/nuisance speed shall become in a couple of
    days. It's the only drawback I can think of. It seems as though screenshots
    are taken off-line and delivered from some service like Alexa, whom I know
    get front page screenshots. I remember the day when I only dreamed of such
    advancements that can become bandwidth greedy...

    http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/07/02/screenshots-on-links/

    Best wishes,

    Roy
    Roy Schestowitz, Apr 21, 2006
    #3
  4. JDS Guest

    JDS, Apr 21, 2006
    #4
  5. Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > __/ [ Jonathan N. Little ] on Friday 21 April 2006 17:34 \__
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> i just wana say it will be very nice when firefox will start firefox
    >>> Thumbnail preview in firefox same like AOL explorer or Opera browser
    >>> ...
    >>> thanks
    >>> Google Lover
    >>>

    >> Did you bother to look for an extension?
    >>
    >>

    > https://addons.mozilla.org/search.php?q=thumbnail preview&type=A&app=firefox
    >> Search :: Mozilla Addons :: Add Features to Mozilla Software

    >
    > Wow! I am glad I read this thread. This is an excellent plug-in, which I have
    > just installed.
    >
    > I'll see how much of an issue/nuisance speed shall become in a couple of
    > days. It's the only drawback I can think of. It seems as though screenshots
    > are taken off-line and delivered from some service like Alexa, whom I know
    > get front page screenshots. I remember the day when I only dreamed of such
    > advancements that can become bandwidth greedy...
    >
    > http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/07/02/screenshots-on-links/


    I wish folks could wrap their mind around that concept that Firefox *is
    not* like IE bloatware where pile everything and the kitchen sink into
    it whether or not the user needs it, (guess you have to justify the
    price somehow).

    Firefox basically 'al la carte', only add what you need. If you are a
    web developer add the great Web Developer's Bar if not then don't!
    Firefox natively does not have any real searching with bookmarks, but
    there is a great little extension that added full sophisticated
    searching for your bookmarks.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 21, 2006
    #5
  6. Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, Roy Schestowitz
    <> vouchsafed:

    > https://addons.mozilla.org/search.php?q=thumbnail preview&type=A&app=fi
    > refox
    >> Search :: Mozilla Addons :: Add Features to Mozilla Software

    >
    > Wow! I am glad I read this thread. This is an excellent plug-in, which
    > I have just installed.
    >
    > I'll see how much of an issue/nuisance speed shall become in a couple
    > of days. It's the only drawback I can think of. It seems as though
    > screenshots are taken off-line and delivered from some service like
    > Alexa, whom I know get front page screenshots. I remember the day when
    > I only dreamed of such advancements that can become bandwidth
    > greedy...
    >
    > http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/07/02/screenshots-on-links/


    I wonder if it's a mortal sin to covet thy neighbour's favicon?

    Nice page, btw.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.
    Neredbojias, Apr 21, 2006
    #6
  7. frederick Guest

    frederick, Apr 21, 2006
    #7
  8. Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, "frederick"
    <> vouchsafed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >> To further the education of mankind, Roy Schestowitz
    >> <> vouchsafed:
    >> > http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/07/02/screenshots-on-lin
    >> > ks/

    >>
    >> I wonder if it's a mortal sin to covet thy neighbour's favicon?

    >
    > It is when they're animated!!


    Then I'm in luck. My neighbours are a sedentary lot (unless you slip a
    little grain alcohol in their geritol.)

    >
    > And the arrow-based navigation is... "interesting".
    >
    >> Nice page, btw.

    >
    > {sobs}
    >
    >


    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.
    Neredbojias, Apr 22, 2006
    #8
  9. __/ [ Neredbojias ] on Saturday 22 April 2006 04:25 \__

    > To further the education of mankind, "frederick"
    > <> vouchsafed:
    >
    >> Neredbojias wrote:
    >>> To further the education of mankind, Roy Schestowitz
    >>> <> vouchsafed:
    >>> > http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/07/02/screenshots-on-lin
    >>> > ks/
    >>>
    >>> I wonder if it's a mortal sin to covet thy neighbour's favicon?



    People seem to hate it actually. I have received complaints (requests for
    removal, desire for a plug-ins that disables such motion). Its effect
    offline (when steering away) can be seen among the bookmarks, which is
    somewhat of a nuisance to most. I simply got used to it, but others have not
    because it stands out too strongly.

    Speaking of favicons, last week I realised that Firefox 1.5 makes a
    favicon-like preview/thumbnail for pages that are purely images. Same for
    videos one day? Sounds on MouseHover?


    >> It is when they're animated!!

    >
    > Then I'm in luck. My neighbours are a sedentary lot (unless you slip a
    > little grain alcohol in their geritol.)
    >
    >>
    >> And the arrow-based navigation is... "interesting".
    >>
    >>> Nice page, btw.

    >>
    >> {sobs}



    Thanks for the compliment. *smile* I lost confidence in the odd design of
    that page -- a design that goes back to late 2004.

    FWIW, I put up instructions for animated favicons at
    http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/12/05/animated-favicons/ . I
    worked on this as soon as I had come across the first animated favicon, so I
    might be among the first few thousands(?). It's rare and unusual, so it
    leaves a mental mark, I think.
    Roy Schestowitz, Apr 22, 2006
    #9
  10. frederick Guest

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > It's rare and unusual, so it leaves a mental mark, I think.


    Or a scar!


    I think I'll go and have a lie-down, now. The spinning! It won't
    stop!!

    --
    AGw.
    frederick, Apr 22, 2006
    #10
  11. Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > __/ [ Neredbojias ] on Saturday 22 April 2006 04:25 \__
    >
    >> To further the education of mankind, "frederick"
    >> <> vouchsafed:
    >>
    >>> Neredbojias wrote:
    >>>> To further the education of mankind, Roy Schestowitz
    >>>> <> vouchsafed:
    >>>>> http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/07/02/screenshots-on-lin
    >>>>> ks/
    >>>> I wonder if it's a mortal sin to covet thy neighbour's favicon?

    >
    >
    > People seem to hate it actually. I have received complaints (requests for
    > removal, desire for a plug-ins that disables such motion). Its effect
    > offline (when steering away) can be seen among the bookmarks, which is
    > somewhat of a nuisance to most. I simply got used to it, but others have not
    > because it stands out too strongly.
    >


    It is very captivating! Might I suggest slowing down the frame rate a
    bit, it might be the whizzing speed of it that bothers some. A little
    subtler would captivate the eye without being to distracting because in
    the end you want them reading your page not staring at the address bar! ;-)

    > Speaking of favicons, last week I realised that Firefox 1.5 makes a
    > favicon-like preview/thumbnail for pages that are purely images. Same for
    > videos one day? Sounds on MouseHover?
    >
    >
    >>> It is when they're animated!!

    >> Then I'm in luck. My neighbours are a sedentary lot (unless you slip a
    >> little grain alcohol in their geritol.)
    >>
    >>> And the arrow-based navigation is... "interesting".
    >>>
    >>>> Nice page, btw.
    >>> {sobs}

    >
    >
    > Thanks for the compliment. *smile* I lost confidence in the odd design of
    > that page -- a design that goes back to late 2004.
    >
    > FWIW, I put up instructions for animated favicons at
    > http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/12/05/animated-favicons/ . I
    > worked on this as soon as I had come across the first animated favicon, so I
    > might be among the first few thousands(?). It's rare and unusual, so it
    > leaves a mental mark, I think.


    Your just using an animated GIF, simple yet clever.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 22, 2006
    #11
  12. Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, Roy Schestowitz
    <> vouchsafed:

    >>>> I wonder if it's a mortal sin to covet thy neighbour's favicon?

    >
    >
    > People seem to hate it actually. I have received complaints (requests
    > for removal, desire for a plug-ins that disables such motion). Its
    > effect offline (when steering away) can be seen among the bookmarks,
    > which is somewhat of a nuisance to most. I simply got used to it, but
    > others have not because it stands out too strongly.


    I'm a bit the other way. I like it at first but would surely tire of/grow
    annoyed with it in time, like mouse trails or marquees.

    > Speaking of favicons, last week I realised that Firefox 1.5 makes a
    > favicon-like preview/thumbnail for pages that are purely images. Same
    > for videos one day? Sounds on MouseHover?


    I hope not; too many gimmicks. Basically, that's at least one reason why
    people disable javascript.

    >>>> Nice page, btw.


    > Thanks for the compliment. *smile* I lost confidence in the odd design
    > of that page -- a design that goes back to late 2004.
    >
    > FWIW, I put up instructions for animated favicons at
    > http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/12/05/animated-favicons/ .
    > I worked on this as soon as I had come across the first animated
    > favicon, so I might be among the first few thousands(?). It's rare and
    > unusual, so it leaves a mental mark, I think.


    I'm sure the devil in me will make me check it out - strictly against my
    better judgment, of course. :)


    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.
    Neredbojias, Apr 22, 2006
    #12
  13. __/ [ frederick ] on Saturday 22 April 2006 07:56 \__

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> It's rare and unusual, so it leaves a mental mark, I think.

    >
    > Or a scar!
    >
    >
    > I think I'll go and have a lie-down, now. The spinning! It won't
    > stop!!


    *LOL*

    J. Little made a good point. It's quite fast, yet it would be hard to change.
    I wanted to maximal frame rate that is well received by the eye, so the logo
    completes a spin in one second and 24 frames.

    Best wishes,

    Roy
    Roy Schestowitz, Apr 22, 2006
    #13
  14. Ed Mullen Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:
    > To further the education of mankind, Roy Schestowitz
    > <> vouchsafed:
    >
    >>>>> I wonder if it's a mortal sin to covet thy neighbour's favicon?

    >>
    >> People seem to hate it actually. I have received complaints (requests
    >> for removal, desire for a plug-ins that disables such motion). Its
    >> effect offline (when steering away) can be seen among the bookmarks,
    >> which is somewhat of a nuisance to most. I simply got used to it, but
    >> others have not because it stands out too strongly.

    >
    > I'm a bit the other way. I like it at first but would surely tire of/grow
    > annoyed with it in time, like mouse trails or marquees.
    >
    >> Speaking of favicons, last week I realised that Firefox 1.5 makes a
    >> favicon-like preview/thumbnail for pages that are purely images. Same
    >> for videos one day? Sounds on MouseHover?

    >
    > I hope not; too many gimmicks. Basically, that's at least one reason why
    > people disable javascript.
    >
    >>>>> Nice page, btw.

    >
    >> Thanks for the compliment. *smile* I lost confidence in the odd design
    >> of that page -- a design that goes back to late 2004.
    >>
    >> FWIW, I put up instructions for animated favicons at
    >> http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/12/05/animated-favicons/ .
    >> I worked on this as soon as I had come across the first animated
    >> favicon, so I might be among the first few thousands(?). It's rare and
    >> unusual, so it leaves a mental mark, I think.

    >
    > I'm sure the devil in me will make me check it out - strictly against my
    > better judgment, of course. :)
    >
    >


    It's interesting, at least from an academic standpoint. Not sure that
    I'd employ it on my site. Perhaps the best approach would be to make
    the animation cycle a specific number of times and then go static (as
    some of the following do). Still, some interesting examples:

    http://www.google.com/search?query=animated favicons&num=50
    http://www.999tutorials.com/tutorial-create-an-animated-favicon.html
    http://www.pod1.com/
    http://www.daredigital.com/
    http://www.pokelondon.com/


    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    http://abington.edmullen.net
    Avoid unnecessary, unessential and needless repetition and redundancy.
    Ed Mullen, Apr 22, 2006
    #14
  15. __/ [ Jonathan N. Little ] on Saturday 22 April 2006 13:33 \__

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> __/ [ Neredbojias ] on Saturday 22 April 2006 04:25 \__
    >>
    >>> To further the education of mankind, "frederick"
    >>> <> vouchsafed:
    >>>
    >>>> Neredbojias wrote:
    >>>>> To further the education of mankind, Roy Schestowitz
    >>>>> <> vouchsafed:
    >>>>>> http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/07/02/screenshots-on-lin
    >>>>>> ks/
    >>>>> I wonder if it's a mortal sin to covet thy neighbour's favicon?

    >>
    >>
    >> People seem to hate it actually. I have received complaints (requests for
    >> removal, desire for a plug-ins that disables such motion). Its effect
    >> offline (when steering away) can be seen among the bookmarks, which is
    >> somewhat of a nuisance to most. I simply got used to it, but others have
    >> not because it stands out too strongly.
    >>

    >
    > It is very captivating! Might I suggest slowing down the frame rate a
    > bit, it might be the whizzing speed of it that bothers some. A little
    > subtler would captivate the eye without being to distracting because in
    > the end you want them reading your page not staring at the address bar! ;-)




    Judging by recent statistics, only about 40% of the visitors will have
    something displayed in the address bar. Firefox ix becoming more of a
    'problem' by the day. *grin*


    >> < snip />

    >
    > Your just using an animated GIF, simple yet clever.



    Thanks. I wonder why I stopped posting to alt.html... I know you are a
    long-time regular. I think the crossposts from alt.2600 are partly to blame
    for what drove me away. I am glad to see that the NG returned to being a
    friendly groups with substance and regulars (Gosh, just not Luigi), so I
    hope to return more often.

    With kind regards,

    Roy
    Roy Schestowitz, Apr 22, 2006
    #15
  16. frederick Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > It's interesting, at least from an academic standpoint. Not sure that
    > I'd employ it on my site.


    My initial thought process quickly went something along these lines:
    1. Oh, that's clever/different!
    2. Must be an animated GIF.
    3. I wonder if he's linked to a GIF file proper or has found some way
    to hack an ICO?
    4. Was that a stupid question?
    5. I could see this thing starting to get annoying after a short
    period of time.
    6. This is starting to get on my nerves.
    7. Make it stop!!

    It really is horribly distracting in Firefox, since it's still chugging
    along in your peripheral vision even when another tab is being used.


    Nothing wrong with having it up as a proof-of-concept, though!

    --
    AGw.
    frederick, Apr 22, 2006
    #16
  17. Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > __/ [ Jonathan N. Little ] on Saturday 22 April 2006 13:33 \__

    <spin>
    >> It is very captivating! Might I suggest slowing down the frame rate a
    >> bit, it might be the whizzing speed of it that bothers some. A little
    >> subtler would captivate the eye without being to distracting because in
    >> the end you want them reading your page not staring at the address bar! ;-)

    >
    >
    >
    > Judging by recent statistics, only about 40% of the visitors will have
    > something displayed in the address bar. Firefox ix becoming more of a
    > 'problem' by the day. *grin*


    I edited it and changed the rate from 4ms to 10ms and the animation
    remained smooth to the eyes just a little less caffeine-enhanced! ;-)

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 22, 2006
    #17
  18. Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, Ed Mullen <>
    vouchsafed:

    >> I'm sure the devil in me will make me check it out - strictly against
    >> my better judgment, of course. :)
    >>
    >>

    >
    > It's interesting, at least from an academic standpoint. Not sure that
    > I'd employ it on my site. Perhaps the best approach would be to make
    > the animation cycle a specific number of times and then go static (as
    > some of the following do). Still, some interesting examples:
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?query=animated favicons&num=50
    > http://www.999tutorials.com/tutorial-create-an-animated-favicon.html
    > http://www.pod1.com/
    > http://www.daredigital.com/
    > http://www.pokelondon.com/


    They were interesting, but I think I'm really a traditionalist at heart. I
    might use one on a small "fronting" page or something but probably not on a
    main site page. I noticed at least 2 of those links had top-level Flash
    includes, too (-which I didn't get as I don't have the plugin installed,
    hooray!)

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.
    Neredbojias, Apr 22, 2006
    #18
  19. Ed Mullen Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> __/ [ Jonathan N. Little ] on Saturday 22 April 2006 13:33 \__

    > <spin>
    >>> It is very captivating! Might I suggest slowing down the frame rate a
    >>> bit, it might be the whizzing speed of it that bothers some. A little
    >>> subtler would captivate the eye without being to distracting because in
    >>> the end you want them reading your page not staring at the address
    >>> bar! ;-)

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Judging by recent statistics, only about 40% of the visitors will have
    >> something displayed in the address bar. Firefox ix becoming more of a
    >> 'problem' by the day. *grin*

    >
    > I edited it and changed the rate from 4ms to 10ms and the animation
    > remained smooth to the eyes just a little less caffeine-enhanced! ;-)
    >


    As someone whose ritual includes a visit to Starbucks every morning for
    a Triple Grande Latte, I, for one, applaud you! :-D Hey, I'm revved up
    enough without all that spinning around thing going on. Geez. I
    couldn't figure out whether to puke or go back to Starbucks. Or back to
    bed. Yeah, yeah, I know, it's my problem. ;-)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    http://abington.edmullen.net
    Just remember one thing in life - no matter where you go - there you
    are. - Peter Weller in The Adventures of Buckeroo Banzai (1984)
    Ed Mullen, Apr 23, 2006
    #19
  20. Ed Mullen Guest

    frederick wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> It's interesting, at least from an academic standpoint. Not sure that
    >> I'd employ it on my site.

    >
    > My initial thought process quickly went something along these lines:
    > 1. Oh, that's clever/different!
    > 2. Must be an animated GIF.
    > 3. I wonder if he's linked to a GIF file proper or has found some way
    > to hack an ICO?
    > 4. Was that a stupid question?
    > 5. I could see this thing starting to get annoying after a short
    > period of time.
    > 6. This is starting to get on my nerves.
    > 7. Make it stop!!
    >
    > It really is horribly distracting in Firefox, since it's still chugging
    > along in your peripheral vision even when another tab is being used.
    >
    >
    > Nothing wrong with having it up as a proof-of-concept, though!
    >


    LOL. Yeah, the whole peripheral vision thing got to me. The more I
    tried to ignore it ... etc. Still, isn't it like anything else in this
    milieu? We get averse to newness, carp about change, then see the
    technique evolve and go: "Hey! Not bad! Pretty cool! Can't complain!"
    (with apologies to John Prine) "... actually, everything is just about
    the same." ref: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/j/john-prine/74744.html

    And here's the good news: it's a 16 x 16 graphic. Imagine, if you will,
    if it would scale up to, say, 640 x 640!!! OMIGOD! Uh, digital cameras,
    no inhibitions, ... etc. Ooooo! Yeah, thank God, "... actually,
    everything is just about the same." ;-)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    http://abington.edmullen.net
    It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to
    put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence. - Mahatma Gandhi
    Ed Mullen, Apr 23, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Charles A. Lackman

    Thumbnail View

    Charles A. Lackman, Apr 1, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    415
    Charles A. Lackman
    Apr 1, 2004
  2. Arjen
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    310
    Arjen
    Aug 20, 2003
  3. David Elliott

    Need Help with Thumbnail Gallery in Panel

    David Elliott, Oct 18, 2003, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    305
    Rick Strahl [MVP]
    Oct 18, 2003
  4. David Lozzi
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    488
    john smith
    Feb 1, 2006
  5. Neo Geshel
    Replies:
    19
    Views:
    1,048
    Chris Beall
    Aug 2, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page