Thunerbird help... [not java related , but please help if you can!]

hilz

Hi all...
I know this is not a java question, but after seeking help on the
Thunderbird newsgroup, I was not able to get an answer to my question.
So since i know there are a lot of smart people in this group, I thought
of asking here.

here is the link to my question on the Thunderbird forum, please read,
and offer your insight!

many thanks

hilz

here is the text of my question, if you do not want to follow the link
in the OP:

Hi group.
I've been using Thunderbird for reading newsgroups for quite a while
now, after being an Outlook Express user for a long time.

There is one feature that Outlook Express had, which I dearly miss! I
hope there is a way to do it in Thunderbird, and i hope someone will
point me to it.

In Outlook Express, when you watch a thread, its color becomes red, so
it stands out.
Once there is a new message in that thread, it becomes red AND bold, so
it stands out even more, and the newsgroup node in the tree to the left
becomes red too, so you immediately know which newsgroups have new
messages in watched threads.

In Thunderbird, i have to open every newsgroup i am subscribed to, and
go hunting for new messages in watched threads.

If there is similar feature in Thunderbird, please let me know
thanks for any help.

Steve Horsley

hilz said:
[...]

I always mark the FIRST mail in the interesting thread (click the
mail and press '1'). This colours it red. Since I use a threaded
view, when this thread has a new message, the first mail in the
thread goes bold as well as red. This makes them stand out quite
well.

Steve

Steve Horsley

Steve said:
I always mark the FIRST mail in the interesting thread (click the mail
and press '1'). This colours it red. Since I use a threaded view, when
this thread has a new message, the first mail in the thread goes bold as
well as red. This makes them stand out quite well.

Correction. I have thunderbird configured to only show threads
with unread. The first entry in a thread doesn't go bold, but I
don't see it if the thread doesn't have unread messages beneath.

Steve

hilz

Steve said:
Correction. I have thunderbird configured to only show threads with
unread. The first entry in a thread doesn't go bold, but I don't see it
if the thread doesn't have unread messages beneath.

Steve

Ok, that could work, but i would still need to switch back to the normal
view (show all) quite often. After using this approach for few minutes,
going to the menus to switch views got really annoying very fast.
I tried to see if i can add icons to the tool bar to do the view switch,
but there doesn't seem to be a way. Or is there?

thanks

hilz

hilz said:
Ok, that could work, but i would still need to switch back to the normal
view (show all) quite often. After using this approach for few minutes,
going to the menus to switch views got really annoying very fast.
I tried to see if i can add icons to the tool bar to do the view switch,
but there doesn't seem to be a way. Or is there?

thanks

ok...here is an extension that you will appreciate Steve!

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensio...tion=thunderbird&category=News Reading&id=905

This will enable you to add the view > Thread menu icons to the tool bar.

hilz

Roedy said:
is it not part of Mozilla browser?

it is part of the Mozilla Suite, not the browser.

from their website (http://www.mozilla.org/products/choosing-products.html)

<quote>

Our Products:
* Firefox - Web browser
* Thunderbird - Email and newsgroup client
* Mozilla 1.7 - Internet Application Suite includes browser, email, HTML
editor
* Camino - the Web browser project for Mac OS X

</quote>

So, Thunderbird as it stands alone is an email and newsgroup client. But
it is also included in the Mozilla Suite together with the browser and
the html editor.

Steve Horsley

Roedy said:
is it not part of Mozilla browser?

No, it's a standalone mail/news reader, although it has its roots
in the Mozilla swiss-army-knife. In the same way that firefox is
the separated-out browser.

Steve

Steve Horsley

Steve said:
Excellent. I didn't know about that (obvoiusly). I'll give it a try.
Thanks.

Steve

It refuses to install on my thunderbird - I'm using 1.5b2. I'll
check back occasionally for updates.

Steve

hilz

Steve said:
It refuses to install on my thunderbird - I'm using 1.5b2. I'll check
back occasionally for updates.

Steve

Here is what you do...
1) download the .xpi extension
2) rename it to .zip
3) extract the file install.rdf
4) change line 14 from
<em:maxVersion>1.0+</em:maxVersion>
<em:maxVersion>1.5+</em:maxVersion>
5) save the file
6) add the file back to the .zip file
7) rename the .zip file to .xpi
8) install it in Thunderbird
9) ;)

it really has pretty standard functionality that must have not changed
in 1.5 so it works fine for me!